Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 06:12 PM

542 posts, read 692,397 times

Advertisements

I can't believe the news reports about Immarstat and Malaysia are now arguing over whether they sent the data to them or not. Geeze. MH370, a hundred years from now, is gonna be known for the bungled investigation and slow-to-come out info about its path. Ugh.

About the ELTs: do they activate upon landing in water, or is just when the emergency slides/float things are opened? I thought someone on TV (probably CNN, not sure) had said that they activate when the slides are opened.

Also, again in some CNN report many many weeks ago (has it really been over two months since it crashed?!) said that the business class cabin was equipped with air phones. Has anyone else heard this? I'm guessing any call made would have gone through? (But there were no calls out, that I'm aware of).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 07:13 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I can't believe the news reports about Immarstat and Malaysia are now arguing over whether they sent the data to them or not. Geeze. MH370, a hundred years from now, is gonna be known for the bungled investigation and slow-to-come out info about its path. Ugh.

About the ELTs: do they activate upon landing in water, or is just when the emergency slides/float things are opened? I thought someone on TV (probably CNN, not sure) had said that they activate when the slides are opened.

Also, again in some CNN report many many weeks ago (has it really been over two months since it crashed?!) said that the business class cabin was equipped with air phones. Has anyone else heard this? I'm guessing any call made would have gone through? (But there were no calls out, that I'm aware of).
I'm not in the aviation field. However, in March 2014, while vacationing in East Asia, we met and hung out with a retired commercial airline pilot. It was he who mentioned that ELT's activate upon making contact with seawater. Obviously, I was in no position to dispute his statement.

Would like to hear what existing/retired pilots, or those in the know have to say about ELT activation upon contacting seawater.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The problem I have with the idea that no one could land it without someone noticing, is that big jets fly in and out of airports all over the world everyday and no one pays any attention to them. The idea that it couldn't have landed somewhere and not be noticed doesn't work for me.
Many people notice, I assure you of that. People ranging from ATC to ground crews notice all of these airplanes, and they certainly would notice or recall seeing one of the most search aircraft in history.

And let's just say they did land on land; the number of people involved in this would be huge, there is no way to make this happen and intel chatter not show something, let alone the basic human slip of the lip given the numerous people that would have to be involved.

Then there is the issue of motive; you do not need to steal a passenger plane to get a plane. A plan of this size would cost huge sums of money, so much money that it would be cheaper and easier just to rent a cargo plane for whatever devious purpose a group wants, or just flat out steal one from somewhere; anything would be easier than coordinating the in-air theft of large airline, flying and landing on a large runway, disposing of all of the bodies, and paying off and expecting every single person in the process keep quiet. And to top it off, what would be the motive? It was be counterproductive to steal the aircraft and just keep it so long, the chance of someone finding out would increase every day thus interrupt plans to do whatever they were going to do with the aircraft.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:24 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,462,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many people notice, I assure you of that. People ranging from ATC to ground crews notice all of these airplanes, and they certainly would notice or recall seeing one of the most search aircraft in history.

And let's just say they did land on land; the number of people involved in this would be huge, there is no way to make this happen and intel chatter not show something, let alone the basic human slip of the lip given the numerous people that would have to be involved.

Then there is the issue of motive; you do not need to steal a passenger plane to get a plane. A plan of this size would cost huge sums of money, so much money that it would be cheaper and easier just to rent a cargo plane for whatever devious purpose a group wants, or just flat out steal one from somewhere; anything would be easier than coordinating the in-air theft of large airline, flying and landing on a large runway, disposing of all of the bodies, and paying off and expecting every single person in the process keep quiet. And to top it off, what would be the motive? It was be counterproductive to steal the aircraft and just keep it so long, the chance of someone finding out would increase every day thus interrupt plans to do whatever they were going to do with the aircraft.
Exactly! So when I suggest the focus should be on the cargo shipping manifest and the passengers (20 employees of defense contractor, FreeScale Semiconductor, that happens to have a line of business that specializes in Electronic Counter Measures for military applications How Israel Spoofed Syria’s Air Defense System | Danger Room | WIRED
that some how is ridiculous? How so? Please do tell.

I'd say it's more highly ridiculous and suspicious that in the age of mass media anal probing of every possibility from "aliens" to suicide that no conventional mass media outlet seemed to press this aspect of the story and dig further (unless perhaps they were told not too? ).

I refer back to TWA Flight 800 off Long Island in July 1996, where over 200 eyewitnesses who report seeing something rise up to meet a plane can be disregarded (from those on ground to those in air; helicopter pilot) AFTER the Federal Agency (breaking investigative protocol no less ) took over the investigation from the US Coast Guard.

Grant it, Malaysia Flight 370 investigation doesn't fall under the US jurisdiction. So perhaps this is a simple case of "Mission Accomplished" on someone's part and "nothing to see here" move along let the media hubbub eventually die out and fall into the unsolved mysteries realm of TV specials, movies and countless alternate theories so that everyone is so confused (disinformation) that no one ever investigates further.

Are you ruling out that nothing else could have happened? (I'm not talking Aliens) I'm talking cover up for one reason or other. Nothing is ruled out in an investigation.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,462,073 times
Quote:

I thought you'd appreciate this tangential thread, with the talk of people from ATC to ground crews noticing or recall seeing one of the most searched for aircraft in history... pulling your chain, but its a very interesting read. One must always dispense under guise of humor else the shrill cries follow.

Plane swap flight 93 - flight maps 9/11

Old 05-19-2014, 09:16 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm not in the aviation field. However, in March 2014, while vacationing in East Asia, we met and hung out with a retired commercial airline pilot. It was he who mentioned that ELT's activate upon making contact with seawater. Obviously, I was in no position to dispute his statement.

Would like to hear what existing/retired pilots, or those in the know have to say about ELT activation upon contacting seawater.
I believe in the slides, they usually activate when in contact with water. There also ones that activate when a certain G-force threshold is reached.

Here is an example of one used by British Airways (according to the company):

Survival ELT

Old 05-19-2014, 09:46 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The problem is, Malaysian military spotted (and reported) the plane flying west over the Straight of Molucca, as did some civilians in the area. Military reported it flying over Palua Perak island off Malaysia's west coast.
And, there is no way China or South Korea would have missed this plane flying through or near their airspace to get to North Korea.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,174 times
Quote:
It is called "evidence".
What evidence? Radar reports? Military tracking? Malaysian reports? Search efforts? Almost every report out since day one has had some form of retraction or dispute. Sorry, not buying it.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,538,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
What evidence? Radar reports? Military tracking? Malaysian reports? Search efforts? Almost every report out since day one has had some form of retraction or dispute. Sorry, not buying it.
And don't forget the jubilation when they detected those pings from the towed-pinger locator. They were so sure they'd found the plane, just as the batteries on the black boxes died. Then they looked and found nothing. Is it possible that every trace of the plane was covered by whatever is on the ocean floor there? Every BIT of the plane?

Now, I can't tell where they're searching. But, I read that it was called off temporarily because something was damaged.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:

I still question how many would notice. This plane flew at night. The only ones paying attention would be ATC and whoever had to unload it. If the destination was pre-arranged, and a team prepared for it, it wouldn't be all that hard to fly it in with no one other than the selected few knowing about it. This plane went missing in the night time. People weren't thinking about it, or looking out for it, until morning when they woke up. I don't see how it could be impossible if it was planned out.. I am not saying that I think it did land somewhere. It's just the argument that it's not possible is very weak.

As for the motive, I don't have the slightest idea, yet, what it could be. That doesn't mean that someone might not have a motive we haven't thought of. Personally, I think it crashed in the ocean somewhere no one has looked yet. I just think no one should be dismissing other possibilities without concrete evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation