Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:20 PM

759 posts, read 637,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Travelling 70mph up and down the motorways & A roads everyday, and your safety is not only based on your own judgements, and road-worthiness of your car; but also other drivers. All it takes is one of those drivers to lose concentration for just a second, they lose control of their car and you could end up in a massive, possibly fatal, traffic accident. That's my biggest fear to be quite honest.

Or an act of stupidity by the driver in the silver Jeep trying to pass the truck on a curve and then cutting off the truck... which is why the the poor driver of the Red Kia is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 03:59 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,662,041 times
I'll share some things. A woman in Germany was mid 70's and she looked into her future and did not like it so she asked her doctor to prescribe and he did.

From the video above you see a two lane road. I travel on such roads every day and pass dozens of cars coming at me in the opposite lane. When their bumper and mine are at the closest point it might be 3 feet or less. Any of those oncoming cars could cross the center line at the last second and we'd be dead. This applies to every adult driver in the country and worldwide. We are within 3 feet of death every day from all the cars in the other lane.

We had an aunt who had a variation of parkinsonism and knew she would end up unable to walk or eat. Their family called 911 when she had chest pains and it was a mild heart attack. She died 2 days later in the hospital. So the heart attack saved her from many years of misery not being able to walk or eat.

As far as doctor assisted, where it is legal? Oregon maybe. It must not be a moral issue or it would not be allowed in any state. Since it is legal and "moral" in Oregon, all states should adopt it. European countries ar far more advanced on the subject as far as being open minded on why it is allowed.

Too bad mother nature did not give us a switch to flip when we have had enough.
If we were in a plane and it was headed to the ground, we'd flip the switch.
Too many people dying in gruesome ways. Plane crash terror, drownings, burned alive, alzheimers, many others.

When a plane crashes into the water does the impact kill them or they go 100 feet under and drown in their seats?

Old 05-24-2016, 04:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
I'll take an airplane crash over most other options.

Double insurance if on a scheduled airline!

Someone will be VERY happy about that!

Old 05-24-2016, 05:41 PM

759 posts, read 637,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I'll share some things. A woman in Germany was mid 70's and she looked into her future and did not like it so she asked her doctor to prescribe and he did.

From the video above you see a two lane road. I travel on such roads every day and pass dozens of cars coming at me in the opposite lane. When their bumper and mine are at the closest point it might be 3 feet or less. Any of those oncoming cars could cross the center line at the last second and we'd be dead. This applies to every adult driver in the country and worldwide. We are within 3 feet of death every day from all the cars in the other lane.

We had an aunt who had a variation of parkinsonism and knew she would end up unable to walk or eat. Their family called 911 when she had chest pains and it was a mild heart attack. She died 2 days later in the hospital. So the heart attack saved her from many years of misery not being able to walk or eat.

As far as doctor assisted, where it is legal? Oregon maybe. It must not be a moral issue or it would not be allowed in any state. Since it is legal and "moral" in Oregon, all states should adopt it. European countries ar far more advanced on the subject as far as being open minded on why it is allowed.

Too bad mother nature did not give us a switch to flip when we have had enough.
If we were in a plane and it was headed to the ground, we'd flip the switch.
Too many people dying in gruesome ways. Plane crash terror, drownings, burned alive, alzheimers, many others.

When a plane crashes into the water does the impact kill them or they go 100 feet under and drown in their seats?

Oregon and Washington.

You make some good points about the driving in traffic. There was a case here a couple years ago where a guy committed suicide by deliberately causing a head on collision... of course it killed the other driver too. He had left suicide notes.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:17 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
well, in a plane crash, it would seem that you would most certainly be aware of the fact that you are in a 400 mph vertical dive to the earth...or worse, the ocean.
I've heard people say this before, but WHY? Once you hit either, you will be dead on impact.

I don't think a plane crash is the worst death. Once you're hurtling toward earth, land or water as it may be, you know you will die in seconds, but damn, what a final view!

Old 05-24-2016, 08:26 PM

Remember John Nash, the brilliant and schizophrenic mathematician whose life inspired A Beautiful Mind.

Flew home to New Jersey from Norway last year after receiving an award there, died in a taxi on the NJ Turnpike on the way home from the airport, 86 years old. As someone said, his last thought was probably, "what are the odds?"

He wasn't wearing his seat belt, either. His wife died, too.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
So, don't fly then. If your current job requires flying, find a different job, quite possibly with the same employer.

A lot of people consider flying a "perk" of a job. I used to, but since 9/11 not so much. So I found different things to do at work, stuff that I can do in the office. Problem solved.

As others have pointed out, flying commercial is a very low risk way to travel, but, if you just don't like it, fine, don't do it!
It might amuse you to know that I used to be a fearful flyer before 9/11. I worked at the World Trade Center and was in One when AA11 slammed into it. Short version is that I thought there might be a real possibility that I was in the last minutes of my life.

I haven't been afraid to fly since. I like flying. Either I used up all my fear that day, or I just have the knowledge that you are gonna die when you're gonna die, or maybe some of both.

Last November I flew over the ocean for the first time to go to Europe. It was amazing. (And I left Paris 5 days before the terrorist attacks there.)

Old 05-24-2016, 08:54 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post

I tend to think that a lot more devastating would be to learn that her loved one had initially survived, though, badly injured... then died of starvation; or crawled through the woods seeking help, for days, and in the end was mauled by a bear...
Only if the plane crashed in New Jersey which is bad enough but your scenario is even worse than that, so I go with dying in a plane crash is ultimately not that bad at least unless i am forced to die while Kuading New Jersey! This week or next, just as long as it isn't New Jersey!

Last edited by TheWiseWino; 05-24-2016 at 09:18 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 11:16 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
[quote=animalcrazy;44139697]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
well, in a plane crash, it would seem that you would most certainly be aware of the fact that you are in a 400 mph vertical dive to the earth...or worse, the ocean.

Especially if you're cruising at 30 thousand feet and just start spinning out of control

What if the plane fills with smoke? You still have minutes to ponder your demise.

I detest flying. I love to travel but I hate getting there.

I have this irrational fear of flying. I know that it is safer then driving and I know the odds are in my favor. It doesn't help.

I also know that someone is going to win that mega million jackpot. I also know that the odds of my winning are astronomical, yet I play.

I have the kind of luck that I would most likely die in a plane crash vs winning the lottery.

I do not plan on flying for quite a long while. It's just too stressful.

Statistically I'm safer in that plane vs my car which I drive like a maniac on the Eisenhower. I don't know why I'm not afraid driving like that. I should be. The thugs are out there shooting people as well. I don't know. I guess I'll just stick to my car on the Eisenhower. I'm up for a road trip with John and the dogs.

Let the chips fall where they may. It's out of our control.

I admit that every time I fly the thought always crosses my mind that the plane 'might' crash. I know the odds are good that it won't but 'what if'??? My best friend was petrified of flying and refused to do it, even once. She asked me how I could stand it since I flew fairly often back then. I told her that I guessed I just figure if it's 'my time to go' then so be it. Then she said, "Well, that's all well and good for YOU but why would you have to take 200 other people with you???". lol

Personally I prefer road trips and love to drive. Sure, no guarantees that nothing will happen on the road but I really don't like the idea of falling 35,000 feet out of the sky. It's not so much the fall that gets you but that sudden stop at the bottom sure will!

Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Just dont die... It happens. Really a lot of people survive plane flights. Many even survive plane crashes.
I have a relative on my wife's side who was in a plane in Peru that exploded in mid air. She fell 2 miles and crashed into the forest. Then walked for a week or so until she found help.

Wow, that's some story! You got me beat! lol My dad did when he was about 26. It was a small plane and crashed into the river when the wheels got caught in a power line. He was flying much too low, buzzing our ranch. It nearly killed him and did paralyze him for a couple of months. Needless to say it affected him adversely, health wise, for the rest of his life but he accomplished sooo much in spite of it. A true survivor!

I once witnessed a small plane crash. It totally stunned me. The airport is on a hill and when the plane came in to land it didn't go high enough to go over the hilltop and crashed into the side. All three people killed instantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation