Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:16 PM

759 posts, read 637,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
With a car or train crash there's still a feeling that something can be done.

Have a safe trip home today. Watch out for idiot drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 12:25 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
So don't fly. Do you even need to?

The question is why are you so focused on the surrounding things like making a will and "planning" LOL.

Dying isn't a problem, you'd never know it happened. Getting severely burned and having years of medical treatment from a plane crash is much worse (and happened to a family I know in a small plane the idiot husband was piloting in fog)

I don't know a single person who'd prefer the torture of cancer!

Is your personality such that you crave attention? Not being shady just asking.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
maybe not as gruesome or likely fatal but I've been freaked out since the 3rd grade about Butch Thorgelson shoving my face into the spigot and knocking my teeth out whenever I use a drinking fountain.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

I don't know a single person who'd prefer the torture of cancer!
Agreed...

I've seen what cancer can do... colon cancer took my 63 year old stepmother in 9 months and a 26 year old family friend in just under 18 months. Two beautiful young women shouldn't have had to suffer like that.

I'd rather die in a plane crash.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:57 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
I can't think of anything more terrifying than knowing your plane is crashing and plunging down to the earth. Minutes of pure terror. it's not even like a car crash that happens so quickly. No. It's going from 35000 feet to zero feet, knowing that you are about to meet your maker.

If you have cancer, you know you might beat it. If you are going down in a plane, you have such a small chance. Not saying I prefer to have cancer, but there could be a different psychology there. I know a lot of people who have beaten cancer and who actually feel they became better people through all the pain and treatment.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:13 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I don't know what it is but every time I look at a plane it freaks me out. Just the massive machinery and the way the windows are all lined up. The wreckage is scary to look at. With a car or train crash there's still a feeling that something can be done. From a philosophical perspective also..Its just so strange to die so...suddenly without much afterthought. You life just ends. And because there are so many with you it makes it stranger. Like why do I work out, or try to meditate when life is so fleeting.

With any other death I don't feel this way. Heart attack, Cancer, even random murder doesn't seem so distressing. I look at the faces of the victims of MH17 often and a strange feeling comes over me/
Actually going in a plane may be good for you, as it simulates intellectual and philosopical thoughts .

I am also scared of falling from the plane and always choose a wing window seat.. But staring in the darkness and emptiness and in the open space during the day is a sight you can never get often..

And If I am eating the business class food in Etihad, Emirates etc , I wouldnt mind even if the plane if diving

Old 05-23-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I can't think of anything more terrifying than knowing your plane is crashing and plunging down to the earth. Minutes of pure terror. it's not even like a car crash that happens so quickly. No. It's going from 35000 feet to zero feet, knowing that you are about to meet your maker.
I'd rank it below being buried alive.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:15 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,670 times
I agree that dying in a plane crash is one of the most terrifying ways to die. PSA Flight 182 in San Diego in 1978 has to be one of the most tragic crashes ever.

In addition to an airplane crash a shark attack, an alligator/crocodile attack and a bear attack are on my list of terrifying ways to die.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
The great thing about dying in a plane is that whether 5 seconds or 5 minutes of terror is beforehand, you never get to tell the story again.
Therefore, you won't have PTSD or any lingering effects.

So by the time the worst happens - it will be over (in 99.99% of cases).

Old 05-23-2016, 05:29 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Chances of dying in a car are much larger than in a plane, or so I have heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation