Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 12:12 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times

Advertisements

OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvPugcb7QGE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 02:09 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
i don't know if this is any comfort but your brain processes information so slowly that you would be dead before you realized that fact in such traumatic events like a plane crash or a car accident.
<-- This

Airplane crushes are the least scary for me, and not only because they happens way less often.
It's precisely BECAUSE it would happen quickly and with basically no suffering. Pain and long-term disability is what scares me, instead. So, your thoughts about train wrecks and such, where "something can be done" would be a lot more unnerving to me!

As a person who had several episodes of general anesthesia, and even more of fainting, or passing out... I do feel it's actually quite similar to dying. In both cases, "you" disappear. So, I am not scared at all of dying, per se. With anesthesia, when I know what's coming, I actually tried very hard to "catch" that moment... when "it" happens! The transition. Nope! Never even for a split second could I ever tell that "I am going... going".

It's like a light bulb goes out, and you never know it happed. Not even dimming first, either. You are just... gone, and you don't feel scared, hurt or anything of that sort. There is no dark, either. And no quiet. No time. Because your whole universe (what you see and feel, as this particular person) just disappeared. And who knows, maybe it was all there was? It seems very similar to turning off a computer, actually.

So, I can see how death can be a relief to some (especially elderly), so long as there is not much pain involved!
Yet, I realize those same words could be highly discomforting for others... to which I'd want to say: don't worry, it's like you'll be in the same place "you were" before you were born. You didn't suffer, right? You didn't know. There was no "you". In a sense, that's the happiest state.

Last edited by Dreams2Plans; 05-24-2016 at 02:54 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 02:12 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I have a a huge fear of this. It isn't irrational. There isn't anything natural about being in a tube moving 500 mph at 35000' statistically, far more deaths occur in car accidents than in planes. However, Chang eaten data around. What percentage of plane crash victims live as compared to car crash victims? Exactly!

My fear is how the death will play out. If it exploded in the sky, it would be like a fly hitting a windshield. I have no problem with that. My fear is that it will last for 5 or 10 minutes. Imagine the shaking of the plane, the loud engine noises, the sudden abrupt moves. Add to that all of the passengers who will no doubt be crying, praying, screaming. Then look at the children and babies. What do you tell,your children when they ask if the plane is going to crash or if they are going to die? It has to be the most horrific feeling in the world. It cannot be imagined unless you are in that trapped plane.

I was on a beautiful plane ride in 2000 and it suddenly turned bad. The beautiful nighttime sunset went black instantly. Lightning flashes were out side of the window. The inside lights were going on and off. The announcement for the crew to put seat belts on was scary. The shaking of the turbulence. And being in complete darkness did not allow me to know if we were flying horizontally or angled down. It
Was certain it was over. There was no way off. No do over. This was it. No saying goodbye to anyone. It was a very lonely feeling. I was waiting to hit something. I was wondering how much it was was going to hurt. What if the plane crashed and the seats mangled enough to let me live but maybe slice my neck or crush me where I couldn't breathe? My biggest fear is to land in water where the crash is hard, you get the wind knocked out of you, get hurt but you survive. Then, you slowly begin sinking and you drown imagine it. There I not one trip that is worth those consequences. No one needs to go anywhere but they choose to risk it.

That said, I flew for the first time last year from NY to California. I had to. My wife and kids were in a wedding party. I could have declined but I couldn't put my kids on a plane that I wouldn't go on. I couldn't live with myself if something happened. I would rather be dead. I also didn't want to transfer my fear to my young 4 and 6 year old. So, I took two Xanax and went. It was beautiful. Looking out of he window was amazing. All I could see what sky and clouds below. Thanks to the Xanax, I just thought to myself that if this plane went down, there is nothing in the world that would help us. I basically didn't care because there probably wouldn't be a long scary ending.

I still will never fly over the ocean or take a cruise. I would rather fly than go on a roller coaster. Go figure.
An airborne explosion is not that great either. Maybe for the fact that it will be a quick and painless death, but my former roommate had a friend from high school die this year in a helicopter explosion in Tennessee, and the most devastating thing she kept mentioning was that there was literally nothing left. If God forbid I ever die in a plane crash (knock on wood) I would want them to be able to find my body so I could be buried and my loved ones can have that solace at the very least.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
I'm sure it was fun building nuclear bombs... right up until the point where he accidentally began a fission reaction and exposed himself to a hard dose of radiation.
Over the next nine days, Slotin suffered an "agonizing sequence of radiation-induced traumas", including severe diarrhea, reduced urine output, swollen hands, erythema, "massive blisters on his hands and forearms", intestinal paralysis, and gangrene.
He had internal radiation burns throughout his body, which one medical expert described as a “three-dimensional sunburn.†By the seventh day, he was experiencing periods of “mental confusion.†His lips turned blue and he was put in an oxygen tent. He ultimately experienced "a total disintegration of bodily functions" and slipped into a coma. Slotin died at 11 a.m. on May 30, in the presence of his parents.

That ranks right up there with my definition of a horrible death.
For cases like this I believe that humane euthanasia should be available!

I hope that soon enough we all will figure this out, work out all the legal kinks, and give at least some terminally-ill and suffering people an option of easy and planned exit, vs. such drawn-out incredibly painful (virtually torturous) dying experience!! If we were able to lobby and allow gay people marry, legalize marihuana, and whole bunch of other, previously unimaginable things, surely we could do something about the way we die?

WHAT was the point of keeping him alive, when there was no hope?! Would he want such fate?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
By the seventh day, he was experiencing periods of “mental confusion...
My God, only by seventh day?! And he was conscious and fully aware the whole time throughout all this?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:56 AM

759 posts, read 637,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
For cases like this I believe that humane euthanasia should be available!

WHAT was the point of keeping him alive, when there was no hope?! Would he want such fate?!

My God, only by seventh day?! And he was conscious and fully aware the whole time throughout all this?
I agree... and yes... he was fully aware based on what I've read about it.

This is a hollywood version of the experiment.

The same plutonium core had killed his colleague 9 months earlier... only he took 25 days to die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_K._Daghlian_Jr.

So yeah... back to the topic. I'd much rather die quick in a plane crash than have to suffer for days or weeks like these 2 scientists.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
I'm in that position now having been diagnosed to have Parkinson's, a long life non-affirming existence and/or a long term disability with a bunch of people clamoring around me. I think I would prefer just checking out at a point of my choosing, if at that time, i haven't forgotten what to do and why (which is a strong possibility); I won't like that in the least bit.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Its more the terror of the plane crash beforehand ..must be horrible.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I don't know what it is but every time I look at a plane it freaks me out. Just the massive machinery and the way the windows are all lined up. The wreckage is scary to look at. With a car or train crash there's still a feeling that something can be done. From a philosophical perspective also..Its just so strange to die so...suddenly without much afterthought. You life just ends. And because there are so many with you it makes it stranger. Like why do I work out, or try to meditate when life is so fleeting.

With any other death I don't feel this way. Heart attack, Cancer, even random murder doesn't seem so distressing. I look at the faces of the victims of MH17 often and a strange feeling comes over me/
Transportation Safety by the Numbers | Bureau of Transportation Statistics The time to really get scared is when you step into your motor vehicle.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:14 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
Admittedly, being told your plane has developed a "technical fault", which could well lead to it crashing any time soon, is always at the back of my mind when flying. Even worse, is the realisation that the plane is indeed going to crash, and other passengers go into panic mode (understandably of course!) There's absolutely nothing you can do other than hope the plane crashes on dry land rather than water so as to "enjoy" a very quick death!

However, that kind of fear is minute compared to the far more tangible one of commuting too and from work on the roads. Travelling 70mph up and down the motorways & A roads everyday, and your safety is not only based on your own judgements, and road-worthiness of your car; but also other drivers. All it takes is one of those drivers to lose concentration for just a second, they lose control of their car and you could end up in a massive, possibly fatal, traffic accident. That's my biggest fear to be quite honest.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
....and the most devastating thing she kept mentioning was that there was literally nothing left..
We are all different, but would she really prefer to have found just an arm? Or some shredded remains or brain matter that had to be scraped off the rocks?

I understand that for some people it's very important to have some physical place to come to, with physical part of their loved one... to have a mental picture that he/she truly "rests" here... To me, unless the actual person was buried ("most" of person, anyway), having "something" to bury would not really make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
...the most devastating thing she kept mentioning was that there was literally nothing left.
I tend to think that a lot more devastating would be to learn that her loved one had initially survived, though, badly injured... then died of starvation; or crawled through the woods seeking help, for days, and in the end was mauled by a bear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation