Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 05:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times

Advertisements

I prefer to fly the plane than have some drunk or drugged out Pilot that relies on the airplane to do all the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 05:45 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,662,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
Why does the enlarged part of the foregoing chart omit death statistics for cancer, strokes, infection &c? Or am I missing something?
Here is a chart of top 10. Not percentages but numbers of death per year in each category. All are disease related except accidents and suicides.
The Odds of Dying

Old 05-23-2016, 06:05 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I don't know what it is but every time I look at a plane it freaks me out. Just the massive machinery and the way the windows are all lined up. The wreckage is scary to look at. With a car or train crash there's still a feeling that something can be done. From a philosophical perspective also..Its just so strange to die so...suddenly without much afterthought. You life just ends. And because there are so many with you it makes it stranger. Like why do I work out, or try to meditate when life is so fleeting.

With any other death I don't feel this way. Heart attack, Cancer, even random murder doesn't seem so distressing. I look at the faces of the victims of MH17 often and a strange feeling comes over me/

The drive to, and from, the airport is more dangerous.

Unless you are an astronaut you cannot get off this earth alive. There are much more horrible ways to die than a plane crash. No need to dwell on looking at the faces of victims

My grand-mother lived to be 102. She always told me that "no one will die a second before, or a second after, there is space available for you. So, be good and have fun!"

Old 05-23-2016, 06:26 PM

759 posts, read 637,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
There are much more horrible ways to die than a plane crash.
Absolutely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Slotin

I'm sure it was fun building nuclear bombs... right up until the point where he accidentally began a fission reaction and exposed himself to a hard dose of radiation. Over the next nine days, Slotin suffered an "agonizing sequence of radiation-induced traumas", including severe diarrhea, reduced urine output, swollen hands, erythema, "massive blisters on his hands and forearms", intestinal paralysis, and gangrene. He had internal radiation burns throughout his body, which one medical expert described as a “three-dimensional sunburn.” By the seventh day, he was experiencing periods of “mental confusion.” His lips turned blue and he was put in an oxygen tent. He ultimately experienced "a total disintegration of bodily functions" and slipped into a coma. Slotin died at 11 a.m. on May 30, in the presence of his parents.

That ranks right up there with my definition of a horrible death.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:41 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Default Dying in a plane crash absolutely freaks me out

No. Really? Dying in a plane crash just kills ya.

I remember the story about a pastor flying to Dallas to be a guest preacher. On the way the plane experienced terrible turbulence and the pastor was terrified. He was pretty sure he was going to die and he was flat skeert. The plane landed in Dallas and the pastor was met at the airport by a member of the congregation. With a heavy heart the pastor said he was not going to be able to preach. When asked why he said "The Bible says we should not fear death. I was so afraid I was going to die. My fear is a sign that I don't believe strongly enough." The church member clapped him on the back and said "But, you see? You weren't really dying."

When the time comes, your strength will have to come from somewhere. To live is Christ, to die is gain.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:05 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I don't know what it is but every time I look at a plane it freaks me out. Just the massive machinery and the way the windows are all lined up. The wreckage is scary to look at. With a car or train crash there's still a feeling that something can be done. From a philosophical perspective also..Its just so strange to die so...suddenly without much afterthought. You life just ends. And because there are so many with you it makes it stranger. Like why do I work out, or try to meditate when life is so fleeting.

With any other death I don't feel this way. Heart attack, Cancer, even random murder doesn't seem so distressing. I look at the faces of the victims of MH17 often and a strange feeling comes over me/
So, don't fly then. If your current job requires flying, find a different job, quite possibly with the same employer.

A lot of people consider flying a "perk" of a job. I used to, but since 9/11 not so much. So I found different things to do at work, stuff that I can do in the office. Problem solved.

As others have pointed out, flying commercial is a very low risk way to travel, but, if you just don't like it, fine, don't do it!

Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Dying in a seat of an aircraft is one thing. Dying from a plane crashing on you is another. How's that for a new something that will never-happen-to-you but will give you something to fear?

Personally the one I feel the most sorry for is the flight attendant who survived the plane crash out here, only to be run over by the responding fire trucks....twice. That's a horrid way to go.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:25 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
Nobody gets out of this world alive. I want to die in my sleep...

Old 05-23-2016, 09:40 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,349 times
Just bring a parachute with you. When the plane starts going down, it's time to jump out

Old 05-23-2016, 10:53 PM

876 posts, read 813,950 times
The fragility of a jet full of passengers moving at 440 mph 6 miles above the earth is akin to a swam of gnats in the path of a semi-trailer's windshield.

At that speed it would be impossible for you to experience your own death, because there is no you left by the time any signals would have relayed a message of pain. So, you get to pass directly from "alive" to "dead" in mere milliseconds. It's a real time saver.

Would you rather die from Alzheimer's in a stinking nursing home? You cannot choose the time or place of your death, unless you kill yourself. Are you a rational person? Read the top 100 causes of death around the world - I don't think air accidents would even be on the list.

So let go of trying to control everything, you'll feel better!

Last edited by A1eutian; 05-23-2016 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation