Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 11:20 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
If you want to go with old designs go back to the one that was the best of that generation (or actually the generation before) The A-1 Skyraider. The original flying dumptruck.

I found that idea to be somewhat surprising, because the A-1 is so old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 11:54 AM

876 posts, read 813,348 times
I've never seen an A-10 fly or heard the GAU-8 in person, but, it seems like it would be one of the most terrifying to hear as the enemy and awe inspiring if it was coming to your rescue.

Anyone who has heard the sound of the flying Gatling gun how would you describe it? Just based off watching video clips, the best I could come up with is it's the sound of God farting. It seems like it would be a devastating psychological weapon was well, advertising its presence on the battlefield.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:09 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times
While stationed at the 'Twin-Bases' (RAF Bentwaters & RAF Woodbridge) from 86' to 88' I supported those bad-a$$ A-10 air-craft, and though I never was present anywhere where the pilots actually fired-off any of the multiple-millions worth of 30mm Honeywell ammunition I processed (while working '81st EMS Conventional Munitions Maint shop) I can attest to the rumours I've heard, that if that plane is diving toward you...and you ARE the target...it would likely be the most terrifying sight (and sound) you would've ever heard...

...and then you will see (and hear) NO MORE, ever again.

I miss supporting that plane very much. Oh sure, there are faster & more powerful...but there is a definite difference in the 'swagger' of an A-10 pilot, compared to that of an F-16, 14, 18, 15 (of that particular era) of pilots.

They are truly the 'Cowboys' of the air...no doubt about it whatsoever, in my mind.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:46 PM

24,466 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
I've never seen an A-10 fly or heard the GAU-8 in person, but, it seems like it would be one of the most terrifying to hear as the enemy and awe inspiring if it was coming to your rescue.

Anyone who has heard the sound of the flying Gatling gun how would you describe it? Just based off watching video clips, the best I could come up with is it's the sound of God farting. It seems like it would be a devastating psychological weapon was well, advertising its presence on the battlefield.
Here ya go. More on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33teK7L4DM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMdVIyf4Oo

Old 05-27-2017, 01:01 PM

The A1 was mentioned in another thread, "Prop Fighter Planes in 2015".

For close air support, would any of the planes mentioned have any advantages compared to the A-10?

(BTW, I regard mention of the ME-262 as very speculative).

Old 05-27-2017, 03:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
I love the A 10 when it makes that sound brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:13 PM

Book about 3D printing-The Great Disruption Competing and Surviving in the Second Wave of the Industrial Revolution by Rick Smith and Mitch Free.

The authors mentioned the use of 3D printing to provide replacement parts for a B-17.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:59 PM

277 posts, read 327,753 times
Just prior to the A-10 being added to America's arsenal the news program 60 Minutes did a hit piece on the aircraft.

Ripped it apart: too slow, never going to be effective, etc. I recall watching that program as a teenager.

Would not know where to find that old program but it would be good for a laugh.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:09 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
It would seem to me that once the A10 is on site, it can make a significantly greater number of passes over the target in a given amount of time than one of the faster aircraft.
If it were me making the decision I would have the faster aircraft get on site asap, then when the A10s arrive the faster aircraft can stand off while the A10s go to work.
Then again, with tech the way it is now, maybe the faster aircraft can stand off and deliver more payload from a distance in a given amount of time. Not sure about accuracy and collateral comparisons, though.

If I had unlimited funds and could purchase a surplus aircraft for fun, I think the A10 would be more fun, because of its ability to turn in a smaller space. Most of the fun is being close to the ground and seeing it rush by.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:53 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I found that idea to be somewhat surprising, because the A-1 is so old.

My Dad crewed on a carrier in Korea that flew this plane. It was designated AD1 Spad. They called it the workhorse. This carrier was also the first to get jet aircraft in the form of the F9F Panther. They were also still flying F4us at this time, and had F8F Bearcats that the jets replaced. A replacement that had some teething problems. The AD1s were inarguably the best ground support aircraft they could put up. Carrying twice their own weight in ordnance and being well capable of putting that ordnance right in the enemy's lap. Guns, rockets and bombs. The F4Us and F8Fs were also effective in ground support as well.

When the F9Fs hit the deck, though they were faster for certain, they were not nearly so effective in an attack role as the prop planes. They were designed with a fighter/interceptor mission in mind. The Navy didn't have much going in that area in Korea. F9Fs didn't get into MIG alley with the F 86s. Dad told me when inshore and the jets were coming in for ground support, everybody took cover. When the AD1s were inbound, everyone would stand up and cheer as they flew over.

I've got some really good pics in my Dads cruise books of all the aforementioned Navy aircraft in operation off the carrier. USS Boxer. Straight deck attack carrier. CVN 71. The F8Fs saw pretty limited action. What a waste of such a fine aircraft to scrap her so quick after she got her shot at things. But she was designed as a fighter. As was the F9F. In Korea, the Navy had a very limited call for air to air mission aircraft. The F9Fs were quickly pulled in and put up in BARCAP, CAP and ready on deck roles. To counter any possible airborne incoming from NK. They just didn't work so good in attack missions.

The A 10 is probably the best single seat, jet powered attack aircraft the US has ever put up. Foe the Air Force anyway. The A6 is arguably the best the Navy has had. Historically that is. The F/A 18 being the current do everything platform. But those old AD1s...just looking at the pics of them taking off fully loaded is pretty impressive, even by today's standards. They burned the last of them up in Viet Nam, but it still had an impressive service record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation