Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore a northern city?
yes 52 45.61%
no 62 54.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:32 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Of course Philly and Baltimore have their differences but when people say that those cities don't have similarities, it's stretching the truth.
As for this, I think this poster put it best. I couldn't write it any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Some people say that Baltimore is like Philadelphia. I see some similarities. But I think if Baltimore fancies itself as being like Philadelphia, then it comes off as a wannabe in comparison, and I say this as a Marylander. There are different characteristics in the people.

Philadelphia is larger, has much more of a reputation, and has more of a "grimy" and "gritty" feel. It makes Baltimore seem amateurish in its claims of being similar, but that perception of Philadelphia reflects itself in the personality of the people. They have a reputation for being brash and really passionate, stereotype or not. On top of that, Philadelphia has that genuine Northeastern-style East Coast feel that's like an outgrowth of the NYC/NJ area, which is something that Baltimore lacks.

On the other hand, some people say Baltimore is "Smalltimore", and it certainly feels that way sometimes. A big city (though not as big as Philadelphia) with a "local", mid-size city mindset -- where you can meet tourists and someone you know walking around a street or at a tourist area and chat both groups up. That's not to say that this can't occur in Philly, but it's more commonplace in Baltimore, and it reflects in the personality of the people. Baltimore and its people are "weird" -- the people are like a weird mix of stereotypical Northern bluntness and stereotypical Southern politeness. It's reflected in the culture and even in the accent, to some degree.

I'm generalizing of course, as everyone in both cities aren't like my perceptions. But that's my experience having been to both cities. Perhaps Wilmington, DE would be a better city that's more like Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 10:06 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As for this, I think this poster put it best. I couldn't write it any better.
Yeah but Baltimore isn't trying to copy or be like Philadelphia because the city is just being itself, no gimmicks. The city of Baltimore is almost 300 years old and is one of the oldest major cities in the country. It doesn't need to "copy" or try to be like any other city.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Yeah but Baltimore isn't trying to copy or be like Philadelphia because the city is just being itself, no gimmicks. The city of Baltimore is almost 300 years old and is one of the oldest major cities in the country. It doesn't need to "copy" or try to be like any other city.
There's a tendency for smaller, more southern cities on C-D to "cling" onto the closest metro to its north (leading up to NYC). Posters from Raleigh sees themselves as a micro NOVA/DC metro area. Posters from Baltimore often proclaim their city as a mini Philadelphia. Posters from Philadelphia often proclaim their city as a mini NYC. Funny thing is that when New Yorkers were asked about Philadelphia, nearly half said the two cities were "Worlds Apart."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ladelphia.html

This never seems to work in reverse though. You don't see Bostonians pointing out the similarities between Boston and NYC. And you sure as hell don't see New Yorkers saying how NYC reminds them of a larger Baltimore. There's nothing these cities have to offer that NYC wants to be associated with. There are, however, lots of things about NYC that other cities on the Coast want to be associated with...like "attytood," wealth, street smarts, the "fast paced" lifestyle, diversity, culture, liberalism, etc. Everyone wants to be cut from the same cloth as NYC.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:26 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
It is astounding how much that poster contradicts himself. So much so that he can NOT be taken seriously.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It is astounding how much that poster contradicts himself. So much so that he can NOT be taken seriously.
And the contradiction is....

Too much passive aggresiveness from you. It's like you're not sufficiently secure in your intellect to articulate a full argument. You resort to snide, passing remarks instead.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
And the contradiction is....

Too much passive aggresiveness from you. It's like you're not sufficiently secure in your intellect to articulate a full argument. You resort to snide, passing remarks instead.
I'm secure enough, and intelligent enough to let that particular poster do it for me. It's like the person that loves to hear themselves talk: they hang themselves. Anyone who thinks that Baltimore is southern, more power to them, but their "data" or excerpts will not change the minds of the people who live in the Baltimore area. You don't seem too secure in your intellect... data ....LOL

Old 11-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I'm secure enough, and intelligent enough to let that particular poster do it for me. It's like the person that loves to hear themselves talk: they hang themselves. Anyone who thinks that Baltimore is southern, more power to them, but their "data" or excerpts will not change the minds of the people who live in the Baltimore area.
You didn't say what the contradiction was.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
You didn't say what the contradiction was.
I don't have to. Yours are very easy to spot since you 'talk' so much. You're not that bright if you can't spot them yourself.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I don't have to. Yours are very easy to spot since you 'talk' so much. You're not that bright if you can't spot them yourself.
No, I'm not that bright. Please put your Baltimore County public school education to work and identify the contradiction for me.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not that bright. Please put your Baltimore County public school education to work and identify the contradiction for me.
No, I'd rather not because you're talking too much again and don't really know what you're talking about. .... I was born, raised, and educated in Baltimore City, not county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore