Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 9,423 times

Advertisements

Hey there, i'm all new to this forum. Just like to quickly introduce myself. I'm Carl, 25 from London, England. I'm taking some time off from normal everyday life and travelling to the states in September 2015. I've always been really interested in America and have always wanted to go.

I'm planning on flying out to DCA Ronald Reagan National Airport, hiring a car and just driving. I've always been a fan of the east side such as Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York etc. My first stop is Baltimore, i am planning on living here/staying on someone's couch for a month or so.

So cut a long story short, I just want a heads up and a bit of information on places to see/visit in the Maryland area in general?...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:19 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
I don't think that you'll be able to fly directly to DCA from London. More likely Dulles or BWI. If you want to make Baltimore your first stop, BWI is far more convenient.

Can you give us some indication of your interests so we'd have a better idea of where to direct you?

Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 AM

The cheapest option for me is to fly to JFK then a transfer to DCA. Work's out about £520 return.
Just wanted to check out Maryland as a whole, also the DC area. Main interest's are going to some live music venues, good food place's and just experiencing what life is generally like around that part of America. Also, would love to know how much average rent prices are in a reasonable house share/flat/room?

Old 01-16-2015, 09:45 AM

Yeah i was thinking that myself, September is a good month. Sounds great, yeah add me Carmelo Camenzuli. Would be really good to have a tour guide aha.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:00 AM

Yeah Carmelo is my full name. That's weird, can't be many on there. Maybe search in London...

Old 01-16-2015, 10:23 AM

Yeah that's me. No, i'm not a lead triangle player aha. Just an in joke with a mate of mine aha

Old 01-17-2015, 05:14 AM

I hav'nt got your friend request mate

Old 01-19-2015, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,078 times
Default Traveling from London to Baltimore, Phila, NY??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_andrews View Post
Hey there, i'm all new to this forum. Just like to quickly introduce myself. I'm Carl, 25 from London, England. I'm taking some time off from normal everyday life and travelling to the states in September 2015. I've always been really interested in America and have always wanted to go.

I'm planning on flying out to DCA Ronald Reagan National Airport, hiring a car and just driving. I've always been a fan of the east side such as Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York etc. My first stop is Baltimore, i am planning on living here/staying on someone's couch for a month or so.

So cut a long story short, I just want a heads up and a bit of information on places to see/visit in the Maryland area in general?...thanks
I would NOT suggest you rent a car and drive over Baltimore City. Stay in the Inner Harbor vicinity and DO NOT ACT OR LOOK ALL AROUND LIKE A TOURIST!! Find a nice family/place in Ellicott City area, which is approx. 15 min from downtown (Inner Harbor), in good traffic. Don't want to discourage you, but Phila has a huge ghetto area and similar to east side/west side of Baltimore City. As for NY, it has gotten much better, crime wise, over the years. Downtown Brooklyn is rocking these days. Brooklyn Hgts, Clinton Hills, Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay are some of the areas in Bklyn you may want to consider. Not a great idea to travel solo.....Do not wear expensive jewelry nor flash your money😞

Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,512,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria jordon View Post
I would NOT suggest you rent a car and drive over Baltimore City. Stay in the Inner Harbor vicinity and DO NOT ACT OR LOOK ALL AROUND LIKE A TOURIST!! Find a nice family/place in Ellicott City area, which is approx. 15 min from downtown (Inner Harbor), in good traffic. Don't want to discourage you, but Phila has a huge ghetto area and similar to east side/west side of Baltimore City. As for NY, it has gotten much better, crime wise, over the years. Downtown Brooklyn is rocking these days. Brooklyn Hgts, Clinton Hills, Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay are some of the areas in Bklyn you may want to consider. Not a great idea to travel solo.....Do not wear expensive jewelry nor flash your money😞
This is ridiculous. Yes there are dangerous parts of town and also some crime in the better parts of town. You should use your common sense when you are here.

I would recommend sticking to the harbor neighborhoods (Canton, Fells Point, Harbor East, Inner Harbor, Federal Hill, Locust Point, etc.) and in the Charles Street Corridor (Downtown, Mount Vernon, Station North, Charles Village, etc.) until you get your bearings. Once you have some idea of the geography and what to look out for, you can explore other areas.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:17 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria jordon View Post

Good grief. The guy is from London. It's one of the largest cities on the planet, with some not-so-nice areas of it's own. He's not some bumpkin that fell off the turnip truck.

Carl - Use your normal urban caution and awareness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore