Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,018 times

Advertisements

It seems like the big problem is class more than race. Like Nanlev said earlier some of thes same problems exists in poor white areas. To me it doesn't seem as prevalent but I know class has a lot to do with how people behave.
Being that I work in Baltimore I find myself turning down invites to happy hours or certain restaurants because I don't want to be in or near the hood at night.

Fairfaxian areas like the far out burbs in Va won't present them selves as an issue until you go shopping and notice the toy cop following you around. Or your child going to school and all of a sudden you child is "special ed" when they weren't before, as far as interracial dating I don't know or care but I'm willing to bet the couples are black man-white women. Kumbaya.
Anyhow,I really don't see the so-called "millitants" in action. They must be at Jasper's during happy hour! Lol.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanlev View Post
Perhaps if I could have afforded to live in Roland Park or Mt. Washington, my experience would be different.
Yes, it would have been:

The only times you would see the people to whom you refer are when you take a wrong turn or an ill-advised shortcut, because good lord, there sure aren't any "lower or middle class African Americans" in Roland Park (I lived there and can attest to this), and I definitely have never seen any in Mt. Washington either (I spend a little time there, and can give limited anecdotal evidence).

So yes, your experience would have been different.

This city is not coming together any time soon.

Let's be optimistic, but not unrealistic..

Old 02-11-2010, 09:02 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
It seems like the big problem is class more than race. Like Nanlev said earlier some of thes same problems exists in poor white areas. To me it doesn't seem as prevalent but I know class has a lot to do with how people behave.
Pretty much. The OP's gripe is with lower-class people behaving as such, but the big-city, working/lower class white man has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, so logically most of the offending parties in Baltimore would be black.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 PM

185 posts, read 405,578 times
Jesus, what a depressing thread!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:44 AM

165 posts, read 533,369 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Being that I work in Baltimore I find myself turning down invites to happy hours or certain restaurants because I don't want to be in or near the hood at night.

I don't think a fear of being "in or near the hood at night" should deter one from enjoying Baltimore. There are a lot of great restaurants here (hopefully that helps with lightening this thread a bit). My husband and I go out often and enjoy ourselves and we don't worry about ending up near or in the hood.

I didn't mean to sound completely down on Baltimore. As I said, I don't regret my move here. If anything, having moved from Arlington, I find Baltimore has a much more laid back vibe. In DC and the surrounding metro, which is overpopulated and has an infrastructure that can't support its population, traffic is awful and people are stressed. Not to forget, I wouldn't be living in the beautiful home I have now down in the DC area, as it would have cost 3x as much.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:06 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Default Nice to know

Nanlev -- I remember your doubts about Northwood and Baltimore that you expressed in several posts on the board. I am glad everything is working out for you and you are at home here.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 AM

165 posts, read 533,369 times
Thanks Barante. If I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would have chosen Northwood, but making the best of it. We do enjoy being in the city and so close to great restaurants, theaters and museums. It's not a permanent move for us though. I hope in the next 5 or so years to sell.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 PM

15 posts, read 67,242 times
Woooow! This is a great conversation.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:25 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
So...the problem with Baltimore is black people? Is that all of your conclusions?

Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
So...the problem with Baltimore is black people? Is that all of your conclusions?
I hadn't noticed that conclusion at all.

Let me see if I can help you stop seeing monsters under the bed:

There are plenty of traditionally entitled white people in certain neighborhoods of Baltimore who do nothing but perpetuate the de facto segregation in Baltimore. They isolate and insulate themselves, which only serves to further alienate the races from one another.

The point that people here seem to be making is that Baltimore is clearly a city lacking in whatever elements it requires to properly integrate.

I am of the opinion there is enough blame to go around, but that is not to say that the faults of each element are not distinct, and, to many, aggravating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore