Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 PM

72 posts, read 135,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Not only that, but from a notoriously negative website! I wonder if she really has a college degree...
Actually, I've spent a great deal of time thinking about this issue. When I mentioned to my mom that I would probably go through with the purchase, she was fearful for me (LOL, and I'm initially from NY). Baltimore must be bad if even New Yorkers are fearful!!

Obviously, my decision not to purchase in Baltimore was based on a number of important factors...Citi data merely confirmed what I had been thinking all along.

Now to answer your question, yes, I'm college educated.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Eboni, You should really experience first hand what the area you are thinking to live in is truly like. Let me tell you, the harbor is the nicest part of Baltimore, even though there are plenty of other nice parts. Going by the opinions of angry people who will say anything to bash the city isn't exactly giving me the impression you are college educated. 'What you were thinking' was stereotypes of the city to which numerous posters on this hostile board will say anything to live up to. Not only that, but what these people have experienced is really only found in certain areas of the city, and certainly not the harbor. If you are educated, well off, and living at the harbor, there is nothing to worry about. As far as racial tension, that's something you truly have to experience first hand, but i haven't found it to be so apparent.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:33 PM

554 posts, read 608,795 times
Quote:
Eboni, You should really experience first hand what the area you are thinking to live in is truly like. Let me tell you, the harbor is the nicest part of Baltimore, even though there are plenty of other nice parts. Going by the opinions of angry people who will say anything to bash the city isn't exactly giving me the impression you are college educated. 'What you were thinking' was stereotypes of the city to which numerous posters on this hostile board will say anything to live up to. Not only that, but what these people have experienced is really only found in certain areas of the city, and certainly not the harbor. If you are educated, well off, and living at the harbor, there is nothing to worry about. As far as racial tension, that's something you truly have to experience first hand, but i haven't found it to be so apparent.
As the O.P., I feel I need to reply to this. I'm neither angry, nor am I on a vendetta to bash Baltimore. I simply laid out a summary of my five years here. I am educated and well-off, and I live in the downtown area, just a few blocks from the harbor. It's a mystery why Billiam believes that this status will somehow insulate someone from the ugliness of this city. Personally, I think Eboni is making a wise choice. Her time would be better spent visiting other cities where tensions between and among the races aren't as great. I've also re-read this entire thread, and there aren't many posters who disagree with my point of view. And as far as the harbor goes, well ... at night, it's a completely different (and unwelcome) place for civilized people, compared to what it's like during the day. That's the truth.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:14 AM

Default No thanks...

Quote:
Eboni... If you are educated, well off, and living at the harbor, there is nothing to worry about. As far as racial tension, that's something you truly have to experience first hand, but i haven't found it to be so apparent.
One can not and should not live in a vacuum. I think this creates part of the problem. When I live in an area, I like to immerse myself into the culture and become part of the community. This will not be possible in Baltimore. I love the restaurants and night life, but safety is a major concern, because at some point, one has to venture outside of their neighborhood's comfort zone (and then what)?

Overall, I think there's a certain level of lawlessness that permeates throughout Baltimore, which mostly stems from poverty, lack of access to health care, drug addiction and overall hopelessness.

Seriously, no thanks, I'm uninterested in being caught in the socioeconomic/political crossfire.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:26 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
I've also re-read this entire thread, and there aren't many posters who disagree with my point of view. And as far as the harbor goes, well ... at night, it's a completely different (and unwelcome) place for civilized people, compared to what it's like during the day. That's the truth.
Thanks for being so honest. I can't for the life of me understand why he believes that if you live around the harbor, you have no worries or concerns.

Anyhow, good luck with your move. Hopefully you and your partner will find peace and tranquility!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Ive meet alot of former Baltimore , they live mostly in Newark. Every since Newark started improving 5 years ago its been pulling ppl form cities that are going on a downward path...... Most who move to Newark want to take part in the Cities rapid Urban Renewal and Diversity. Honestly , i think Baltimore needs to look at what Newark has done. It used to be in the similar boat. I hate to see Baltimore keep sliding down hill. The New Mayor Cory Booker , has focused on Recreation , Families , Crime , Jobs and image improving and it has done wonders for Newark. Hes also one of America's most popular Mayor's. Baltimore can do the same. I know you guys can , you just need a small push.

Heres a few videos on what Newark has done about its crime , which back in the 90s we used to be #1. Now were up and the upper 20s and rising becoming safer. Don't be afraid to ask Newark for help , Chicago and other cities are.

YouTube - iProtect Technology

YouTube - iVolunteer - Newark Night Patrol

YouTube - Sarah Silverman Joins Mayor Cory Booker for Newark Night Patrol

YouTube - Newark Prisoner Re-entry Program

YouTube - We Own The Night

YouTube - Newark Gun Buyback Program

Everything he says in this reelection video , is true.

YouTube - Mayor Cory Booker 2010 Reelection Campaign Commercial: Public Safety

Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 AM

775 posts, read 1,785,444 times
Wow someone from Newark looking down on Bmore. A new low has been reached.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
I don't want to experience hatred from low income blacks, because I'm college educated and financially secure. Similarly, I don't want to experience hatred from whites, simply because they assume every black person shares the same viewpoints.

As far my profile is concerned I am not that different from you, I'm in my twenties, middle-upper middle class, college educated and black, only I'm male; and I haven't experienced resentment or hatred from anyone across income/class status. I was going to originally move to Baltimore 3 years ago, but decided against it because I would read sites like this and rode the light-rail through Howard on a bad day (I have later found that 99.5% of time the light-rail is pleasant). I did decide, however, that one transit ride and website, which really isn’t representative of all views shouldn’t be enough to write-off an entire city and moved to Baltimore last year and love it! I would prefer the real life experiences and conversations I have with people here over the pretentious and fake 'upper class' individuals I encountered when I lived in the DC/Montgomery County area.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 25,136 times
I agree with you picard/lx. I live in DC presently and will be relocating to Baltimore this summer. I consider myself a washingtonian but my beloved city can be somewhat pretentious and aloof. Its all about zipcodes, where u attended school, the private school your child attends, and political families/clout. I went to grad school in DC and I have had the greatest experience living there. But its time to move on. My friends are definitely not in favor of my plans because they view baltimore as subpar where crime, drugs, and urban decay is rampant. (that's there opinion). I've lived in many places and crime is everywhere. Someone can rob you in rural Alabama to Maine. I plan to give Baltimore a try! How is the area called Original Northwood?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
As the O.P., I feel I need to reply to this. I'm neither angry, nor am I on a vendetta to bash Baltimore. I simply laid out a summary of my five years here. I am educated and well-off, and I live in the downtown area, just a few blocks from the harbor. It's a mystery why Billiam believes that this status will somehow insulate someone from the ugliness of this city. Personally, I think Eboni is making a wise choice. Her time would be better spent visiting other cities where tensions between and among the races aren't as great. I've also re-read this entire thread, and there aren't many posters who disagree with my point of view. And as far as the harbor goes, well ... at night, it's a completely different (and unwelcome) place for civilized people, compared to what it's like during the day. That's the truth.
So, you are using third person when responding to me? Interesting....

By saying educated, well off and near the harbor, i was saying that life shouldn't be as bad as described, not literally there is nothing to worry about lifes a big party. Its a mystery to me why anyone would take a comment so literally. Educated = smart, will hang out with an educated crowd likely. Well off = have a good lifestyle that she can afford. Near the harbor = safe, near many amenities.

Eboni is not wise, as she is literally basing her views off of stereotypes and people with negative views of the city. She would get a different perspective from a group of positive people, and there is no disagreeing with that. Your "truth" might be another person's "false", as there's this great thing we called opinions.

I've decided not to respond to eboni as there is just too much ignorance and immaturity in someone like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore