Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:12 AM

275 posts, read 1,288,581 times

Advertisements

What about the elementary schools in Bangor? Is there less expensive housing right outside of Bangor? Alot of this post has turned into other things besides the info I originally requested. By the way, interview went really well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 07:35 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
Congrats on the good interview!!
We lived in Holden for years and loved it there. I still consider it as home, even though we aren't there. All of the outlying towns are nice. I am not up to date on schools and such though. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:54 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedaddy View Post
What about the elementary schools in Bangor? Is there less expensive housing right outside of Bangor? Alot of this post has turned into other things besides the info I originally requested. By the way, interview went really well.

the towns outside of bangor, id look at (housing) would be corinth, east corinth, stetson, hudson, bradford, carmel, hermon, alton, veazie, greenbush,
kenduskeag, lagrange, milford, these are some smaller towns, where you could get some decent housing prices.
there's orono, old town, winterport, hampden, brewer, with more population but the housing prices may be a bit higher,,
its good to search all the surrounding towns of bangor( many more than i listed) and see whats on the market, that fits your needs)
its a good buyers market now!!

and congrats on your interview!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:10 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
I am not saying there are not nice people in Caribou because there are BUT the bad have the control and the good are leaving to let them destroy themselves. I can almost bet that nice person that you meet 7 year's ago probably has left by now most of us nice people do.
i know many folks in caribou, from sirois's to oullettes, to cyr's and daigles,,,all very nice folks,

you mentioned you are selling your house, and also celebrate "free-speech" be sure to print and leave, all your posts' about caribou, on your kitchen table , if and when you have a "showing"
as you stated, everyone has a right to know the inside politics about caribou..good luck selling your house!! lol

one of my favorite sayings come to mind, when reading your posts, "there's a know it all, and nose-picker in every crowd"

hey, dont take it personally, im celebrating my "free-speech"

Old 08-18-2007, 08:46 AM

228 posts, read 220,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i know many folks in caribou, from sirois's to oullettes, to cyr's and daigles,,,all very nice folks,

you mentioned you are selling your house, and also celebrate "free-speech" be sure to print and leave, all your posts' about caribou, on your kitchen table , if and when you have a "showing"
as you stated, everyone has a right to know the inside politics about caribou..good luck selling your house!! lol

one of my favorite sayings come to mind, when reading your posts, "there's a know it all, and nose-picker in every crowd"

hey, dont take it personally, im celebrating my "free-speech"
That is a great idea about leaving my post's on my table when I have a showing and I will also leave everyone else's also so they can make a informed decision and can make up thier own mind's. And I will not take it personally free speech is great!!I have another saying for you. If you go to the dump and all you do is look up at the sky you never see the garbage but after a while your neck will get sore!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:30 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
"Maine, The way Life should be" Human nature seems to make some of us think the grass is always greener somewhere else. Life is also what you make of it. Spent a lot of my adult life in Massachusetts, moved to Maine after the kids were older, for 9 years and were comfortable. We got involved, made good friends and had a reasonably good life. Because of problems in the family, we came back to Ma. a year and a half ago. All I can say is I can't wait to get home. There is no perfect place. In Maine I have a lifestyle that fits me. Fast food, Big Box stores, road rage, the worst drivers in the world on busy roads, and a stressful atmosphere do not appeal to me. I don't care for hot weather, and I enjoy sewing, cooking and crafts a bit. I find satisfaction in "stocking up" and can survive if the cable goes out . Everyone must find what works for them. For me,... it's the Maine lifestyle. If you're miserable where ya are, do some research, make some calls but DO something about it.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:31 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
Taking a trip to Maine is a vacation. Living here is a nightmare....
I just can not find anything in Maine to support such an idea.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:35 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedaddy View Post
... Is there less expensive housing right outside of Bangor? Alot of this post has turned into other things besides the info I originally requested. By the way, interview went really well.
I too am glad that you had a good interview.

Most of the small towns around Bangor and very nice.

I do prefer the 'un-organized townships' though.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:42 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
Glad to hear the interview went well,..here are a coupla links to give you some sense of what is available. Classified ads from the Bangor Daily News , RentsInMaine.com - Penobscot County Rentals - Belfast Maine (http://rentsinmaine.com/Penobscot.cfm?Start=341 - broken link) Hope it all goes well for you

Old 08-18-2007, 04:04 PM

33 posts, read 120,907 times
Default Bangor

To LukeDaddy-
I interviewed in Bangor and loved it. Due to a poor housing market in Minnesota our move had to be put on hold, but as soon as things recover here were moving to Maine! I spent 2 days with a wonderful real estate man, who had a tremendous amount of information on the schools in and around Bangor. In fact, some of the surrounding towns will pay the tution to the private high school in Bangor and we toured that are were very impressed.
The public library was beautiful, there are plenty of sports fields, baseball, softball and a public pool. Everyone I met was very friendly and offered ideas and words of encouragement. I think since we are coming from Minnesota, Mainers assumed that we could handle the winters and frankly our snow has been pitiful the past few years and we are looking forward to more snow!
All towns have warts and despite what LTTT is writing, I think that you need to find a place that works for you. I can guarantee that in many of the small towns in Northern Minnesota you will find some that are not welcome to newcomers, but after you prove that you are genuine, hardworking and support the community, you are welcomed. You will never be a 'native' in Minnesota or Maine, but you can find it a beautiful place to love, vacation and raise a family. If you would like the information on the real estate guy, just email me privately.
Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area