Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 05:41 PM

228 posts, read 220,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
"Maine, The way Life should be" Human nature seems to make some of us think the grass is always greener somewhere else. Life is also what you make of it. Spent a lot of my adult life in Massachusetts, moved to Maine after the kids were older, for 9 years and were comfortable. We got involved, made good friends and had a reasonably good life. Because of problems in the family, we came back to Ma. a year and a half ago. All I can say is I can't wait to get home. There is no perfect place. In Maine I have a lifestyle that fits me. Fast food, Big Box stores, road rage, the worst drivers in the world on busy roads, and a stressful atmosphere do not appeal to me. I don't care for hot weather, and I enjoy sewing, cooking and crafts a bit. I find satisfaction in "stocking up" and can survive if the cable goes out . Everyone must find what works for them. For me,... it's the Maine lifestyle. If you're miserable where ya are, do some research, make some calls but DO something about it.
Thank's it is good to get a message thats calm. I have been doing something's but it's hard when the good people in Caribou are afraid to speak up. But I will keep trying and if I can't find someone who dares to help then I will move. I like the small town atmosphere but the price to live here anymore is to high.But until I do move I will try to make changes so when I leave I will at least know I tried to make thing's better for those I leave behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 05:46 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
You're welcome and thank you for the positive feedback.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:06 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
Hope your move is good for you enjoy the land and be very careful on who you talk with.Friendly does not mean friend! And keep that gun close!!
Darn it LTTT, and here I was thinking about how good it would be to NOT have to tote that jeezley hunk of iron around with me everywhere!

D'ya mean to tell me that the .03% violent crime rate stat that they publish is just bait to lure in the suckers so they can rob 'em and kill 'em?

I was just hoping for a quiet place to live where I could shoot cans that don't shoot back. Maybe you can help me out on another thing- does Maine give you a hard time about decreasing the potential prison population like MA does?

Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Darn it LTTT, and here I was thinking about how good it would be to NOT have to tote that jeezley hunk of iron around with me everywhere!

D'ya mean to tell me that the .03% violent crime rate stat that they publish is just bait to lure in the suckers so they can rob 'em and kill 'em?

I was just hoping for a quiet place to live where I could shoot cans that don't shoot back. Maybe you can help me out on another thing- does Maine give you a hard time about decreasing the potential prison population like MA does?
I" m sorry the statistics are funny!!I could tell you my house is a mansion doesn't mean it is!!Wish it was! I could tell you Caribou is a nice town to live in doesn't mean it is!! Wish it was!And Maine doesn't want to decrease the prison population do you know how many people would be out of a job!!Not to mention all the money they wouldn't be able to cry they need to build more prison's!!Got to keep our judges,lawyers,District Attorney's, police in job's!!Doesn't mean there doing thier job's just mean's we are keeping them in there job's!!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
I" m sorry the statistics are funny!!I could tell you my house is a mansion doesn't mean it is!!Wish it was! I could tell you Caribou is a nice town to live in doesn't mean it is!! Wish it was!And Maine doesn't want to decrease the prison population do you know how many people would be out of a job!!Not to mention all the money they wouldn't be able to cry they need to build more prison's!!Got to keep our judges,lawyers,District Attorney's, police in job's!!Doesn't mean there doing thier job's just mean's we are keeping them in there job's!!

LTTT, tell you what, I'm not planning on selling my house here until the RE market picks back up again in a few years, why don't you come down here and live here until then. I'll rent it to you for a reasonable price.

After 2 or 3 years of living here, tell me again about how bad you think Caribou is.

I've got a charming little quarter acre (with 5 acres of skeeter-filled swamp out back that the enviro-nuts won't let you fill in) where the taxes have increased by more than 100% over the past 5 years to pay for the new Police and Fire building that we didn't really need, where you'll have more luck putting out a fire yourself than counting on the FD (who will do more damage to the house than the fire did, even though you had it put out by the time they got there), where you can't get hold of a cop to take a report after the hoodlums have robbed you blind while you were away (but heaven help you if you you go out in the back yard with so much as a BB gun).

You can fight the relatively small portion of very well-off people who have decided that our sleepy little town is a nice place to put their million dollar houses, and who are trying to ram a new $12 million (so they say, like none of us knows that any public project *never* gets done at the budgeted cost) library down our throats, a library that we don't need because the one we have works perfectly fine...it just doesn't have a Starbucks in it.

Yep, that's right, these morons want a library with a Starbucks in it.

You can organize a protest about wiping out a dozen or so small business, taking the property by eminent domain so they could put in a honking big parking lot for all of the out-of-towners have some place to park their cars to take the train into the city...oh, nevermind, they finished that job almost over-night, it's too late.

If you like the Friday Night Fights, just open a window on one side or the other.

Make sure that you have a TV that you can turn up really, really loud, so that you'll be able to hear it over the noise of the mega-watt stereos in the cars of the teen-agers driving by, and don't forget to thank them for giving you the chance to get some exercise while you pick up the empty beer cans/bottles and McDonalds/Burger King trash off the lawn every morning.

Oh, here's something you still have time to protest about- a new low-income housing project right next to the other train station on the north side of town, so that the city can ship some more of *their* hoodlums here were there is still some grass and trees, and buildings that haven't been spray-painted yet.

We have 7800 housholds in town, with 5, no, it's 6 Dunkin Donuts now, and about that many liquor stores (I'm not against drinking, I like to have a snort too, but, come on, how many do you really need?), A McDonalds, a Burger King and nobody seems to know what a trash can is for anymore.

What else have we got? Oh, yeah, the chemical plant that closed up shop and left town, leaving behind a bunch of toxic waste that poisoned 5 of the town's 9 wells so that we have a permanent watering ban. Don't get caught watering your veggie garden 'cause after the third time it'll be costing you $75 a day.

Everybody complains about everything, but how many of them show up to the town meeting?

Exactly 127...until somebody's pet project comes up for a vote. Then out come the cell phones and then there's enough people to skew the vote the way they want it, when the vote's over there are even less people there than there were before.

And crime rates, violent and otherwise, well, let's just say that compared to here, Caribou looks like a town full of saints.

Come on down LTTT, let's see how long you can stand it.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
LTTT, tell you what, I'm not planning on selling my house here until the RE market picks back up again in a few years, why don't you come down here and live here until then. I'll rent it to you for a reasonable price.

After 2 or 3 years of living here, tell me again about how bad you think Caribou is.

I've got a charming little quarter acre (with 5 acres of skeeter-filled swamp out back that the enviro-nuts won't let you fill in) where the taxes have increased by more than 100% over the past 5 years to pay for the new Police and Fire building that we didn't really need, where you'll have more luck putting out a fire yourself than counting on the FD (who will do more damage to the house than the fire did, even though you had it put out by the time they got there), where you can't get hold of a cop to take a report after the hoodlums have robbed you blind while you were away (but heaven help you if you you go out in the back yard with so much as a BB gun).

You can fight the relatively small portion of very well-off people who have decided that our sleepy little town is a nice place to put their million dollar houses, and who are trying to ram a new $12 million (so they say, like none of us knows that any public project *never* gets done at the budgeted cost) library down our throats, a library that we don't need because the one we have works perfectly fine...it just doesn't have a Starbucks in it.

Yep, that's right, these morons want a library with a Starbucks in it.

You can organize a protest about wiping out a dozen or so small business, taking the property by eminent domain so they could put in a honking big parking lot for all of the out-of-towners have some place to park their cars to take the train into the city...oh, nevermind, they finished that job almost over-night, it's too late.

If you like the Friday Night Fights, just open a window on one side or the other.

Make sure that you have a TV that you can turn up really, really loud, so that you'll be able to hear it over the noise of the mega-watt stereos in the cars of the teen-agers driving by, and don't forget to thank them for giving you the chance to get some exercise while you pick up the empty beer cans/bottles and McDonalds/Burger King trash off the lawn every morning.

Oh, here's something you still have time to protest about- a new low-income housing project right next to the other train station on the north side of town, so that the city can ship some more of *their* hoodlums here were there is still some grass and trees, and buildings that haven't been spray-painted yet.

We have 7800 housholds in town, with 5, no, it's 6 Dunkin Donuts now, and about that many liquor stores (I'm not against drinking, I like to have a snort too, but, come on, how many do you really need?), A McDonalds, a Burger King and nobody seems to know what a trash can is for anymore.

What else have we got? Oh, yeah, the chemical plant that closed up shop and left town, leaving behind a bunch of toxic waste that poisoned 5 of the town's 9 wells so that we have a permanent watering ban. Don't get caught watering your veggie garden 'cause after the third time it'll be costing you $75 a day.

Everybody complains about everything, but how many of them show up to the town meeting?

Exactly 127...until somebody's pet project comes up for a vote. Then out come the cell phones and then there's enough people to skew the vote the way they want it, when the vote's over there are even less people there than there were before.

And crime rates, violent and otherwise, well, let's just say that compared to here, Caribou looks like a town full of saints.

Come on down LTTT, let's see how long you can stand it.
Zymer are you sure you don't live in Caribou???

Old 08-21-2007, 11:25 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Glad to hear the interview went well,..here are a coupla links to give you some sense of what is available. Classified ads from the Bangor Daily News , RentsInMaine.com - Penobscot County Rentals - Belfast Maine (http://rentsinmaine.com/Penobscot.cfm?Start=341 - broken link) Hope it all goes well for you
Holy cow! Rent in Bangor is high. That surprises me. The houses cost less to buy there than in Belfast, but rent in Belfast is considerably lower. Wonder why that is.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Holy cow! Rent in Bangor is high. That surprises me. The houses cost less to buy there than in Belfast, but rent in Belfast is considerably lower. Wonder why that is.
Rent is cheap in Caribou!!! Wonder why????

Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
Supply and demand,.. less rental property available to those seeking it. Try the smaller towns just outside of Bangor, if you're willing to commute you can find some great deals. here's one 14. KENDUSKEAG - 3 BR, heat & HW incl., full bsmt., garage, $875 dep., $875/mo.; 884-7592 -

Last edited by msina; 08-21-2007 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: further info

Old 08-23-2007, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,862 times
Default Bangor to GA

Bangor is an amazing town. I just moved to GA from Bangor (career choice, not lifestyle choice.) It was very hard for us to leave. The schools are great, and even though it's a city it's got a great small town feel. We became part of the community very quickly -- that thing about Mainers being stand-offish is not true. The downtown is rejuvenating and has some neat little restaurants, a great music festival and there are lots of parks and of course the City Forest.
There's lots of access to cultural events because of UMO and the Bangor Symphony Orchestra. Great old architecture if you like old homes at great prices. There's lots of new construction too, if that's your preference, but generally at higher prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area