Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
Then get your butt in the booth and try it. Not as easy as it looks
So, we should never criticize bad announcing? We should not criticize badly produced sporting events?

I'm watching game four of the ALCS right now on FOX. It's the bottom of the 3rd inning and Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are interviewing Justin Verlander. They aren't even paying attention to the game. And neither is the camera. It's on Verlander most of the time. Buck is now asking Verlander about his fantasy football team.

We're supposed to just put up with this crap? I want to watch the game. Players and managers should not be interviewed during the game. This interview with Verlander took up the whole bottom of the inning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
I hate the constant flicking from facial closeup to facial closeup to catcher's crotch signals to facial closeup.

We get it that modern video cameras can count the pores on a player's oily nose and see the bubbles in their spit.

I really don't want to watch a player re-doing his batting gloves after each and every pitch, especially for a long at-bat. Nor do I care to watch Jonny Gomes twerk his batting helmet 4-8 times between EVERY pitch; the guy needs an analyst for OCD issues. Isn't there something more interesting on the field to see?

I'd like to see a few entire plays from the perspective of a guy in the front row of the upper deck right behind home plate.... all the players in motion on a ground ball to the infield, etc. We can see all the closeups during the replays between batters. You'd think that the "professionals" in the control rooms could figger that out for themselves.

Too many closeups, not enough field-of-play shots. It's claustrophobic to watch baseball today.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-20-2013 at 01:52 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 12:39 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
I don't know about you guys but I mute every game these days, be it baseball, football or whatever. Actually I don't mute racing because the information you gain from the announcers can be critical. but for most sports, i simply mute the announcers.

There are a lot of distractions on the screen these days. I am not a big fan of most. I used to keep score with my own book but now I don't have too.. I miss that sometimes..

Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
What I find most annoying is the banal, bland quality of the interviews. Seldom is anything said which you could not have predicted and the majority of the players have decided that they are most comfortable delivering recycled cliches. There are a few players who can be amusing, a few who attempt to go beyond the standard babble, but these are the rare exceptions. It doesn't help that the questions are typically vacuous, especially the all purpose "How does it feel?"

Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Baseball telecasts are being ruined by the following:

- sideline reporters. Don't need them. Worst offender? Erin Andrews.
Hey, the sideline babe on NESN is hot as hell. That is about the only reason I can tolerate a NESN broadcast. The color guy has the most annoying Boston accent I've ever heard. But overall I agree, they add little to the coverage.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Hey, the sideline babe on NESN is hot as hell. That is about the only reason I can tolerate a NESN broadcast. The color guy has the most annoying Boston accent I've ever heard. But overall I agree, they add little to the coverage.

Well can we get a name?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What I find most annoying is the banal, bland quality of the interviews. Seldom is anything said which you could not have predicted and the majority of the players have decided that they are most comfortable delivering recycled cliches. There are a few players who can be amusing, a few who attempt to go beyond the standard babble, but these are the rare exceptions. It doesn't help that the questions are typically vacuous, especially the all purpose "How does it feel?"

Bull Durham - Cliches - YouTube

Old 10-18-2013, 08:31 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Baseball and other sports are turning me off because of their insistence of putting them on pay-tv networks. I know that in this day and age, it seems trivial - most people have expanded cable or satellite, but I'm a hold-out. I understand that this is how the networks have to support their new sports networks like Fox1 or whatever, but I don't want the cable bill jacked up to watch a new network which will probably have only 5 percent of its programming worth watching.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:54 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Default Cliches and trite expressions in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

Love that clip!

I've told my wife scores of times that all sports interviews sound the same, the same lines and cliches, like:
- We gotta bring our A game
- We didn't bring our A-game
- It is what it is
- We're only focused on the next game
- We got a great bunch of guys
- They're always tough to play
- We came to play
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
- We gotta bring our A game
- We didn't bring our A-game
- It is what it is
- We're only focused on the next game
- We got a great bunch of guys
- They're always tough to play
- We came to play
"We're not thinking about what the other guys are doing, we're just going out there and playing hard for nine innings and taking it one game at a time."

"I just went up there looking for a pitch I could hit and put the bat on it."

My personal favorites are "Giving 110% percent" and "...staying within ourselves" which one often hears in the same interview. That of course raises the question of how one may stay within himself if he is already 10 % beyond himself.

Managers are always trying to put a good spin on some wretched outing by one of his pitchers..."Soandso had good command and velocity today, he just lost concentration on a couple of pitches, I haven't lost confidence in him."

Then there are the utterly vacuous ones such as "There is no "i" in "team." Okay, so what? There is an "i" in "win", there is an "i" in "victory" and there are two of them in "idiot."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball