Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 03:55 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It's completely silly

I've been to NYC many times in the summer .... I lived in philadelphia and grew up in upstate NY

It's really not even close

The NE cities have hot spells ..... in the south you take that hot spell and make it a 3-4 month event, not 3-4 weeks out of the year

Take a look courtesy the Weather Underground

NYC

Miami

So for the course of baseball season in NYC you have average high temps from about 56 degrees to 70 degrees - compared to about 83 to 88 in miami

there is about a solid 2 1/2 month span in miami where there average daily high tops 90 - this corresponds with a period where you get between .18 - .3 inches of rain per day so you know the humidity is there as well

In NYC you have about a month where the average daily high is around 85 .... it's fine though because the average daily low for that period is around 70 (compared to around 78 in miami)

and while NYC does get some rain and has some humidity - their highest averages are below the lowest average in miami

you don't need to be a weatherman or post in a weather forum to know that it's hotter in Florida than it is in NYC
If I say you're right will that make you feel better? Good enough to move on?

We'll try.

You're right.

Even though you're not right. Put the charts away. It's as hot in NYC this summer as it is anywhere. And my point all along was that people FEEL it more here because they don't live with it all year long.

96 degrees feels a lot hotter to people in my city than it does to people in Miami. 86 degrees feels a lot hotter here than 96 degrees feels in Miami too. Our lifestyles and close quarters also add to that.

And that's the last weather-related post I'm going to make on a baseball forum, so I'm moving on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 04:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I know NYC people can be a little myopic .... but guess what, if a place is 10 degrees hotter it's 10 degrees hotter

how you individually deal with that heat doesn't make a lick of difference

i currently live in phoenix - you adapt and you generally keep your cooling settings higher than in other places in part because you do adapt some

I'm certain I am more adapted to 105 - 110 then those who don't live out here .... however, it doesn't make me more comfortable to sit out in that heat and sun for 3 hours .... i've done it, it's without a doubt more brutal than any event i've ever been to as far as weather ........ including those nasty 90 degree northeast days when I was living there

you claim you want the content, but cry when facts are posted

the facts go like this

anyone who posts that it's hotter in the NE than it is in FL is foolish

BTC posts that it's hotter in the NE than it is in FL (even after seeing that it's clearly not the case on average)

If you were able to pass a basic philosophy class and deal with constructing arguments you can fill out the 3rd line

Old 08-06-2010, 05:06 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I know NYC people can be a little myopic .... but guess what, if a place is 10 degrees hotter it's 10 degrees hotter

how you individually deal with that heat doesn't make a lick of difference

i currently live in phoenix - you adapt and you generally keep your cooling settings higher than in other places in part because you do adapt some

I'm certain I am more adapted to 105 - 110 then those who don't live out here .... however, it doesn't make me more comfortable to sit out in that heat and sun for 3 hours .... i've done it, it's without a doubt more brutal than any event i've ever been to as far as weather ........ including those nasty 90 degree northeast days when I was living there

you claim you want the content, but cry when facts are posted

the facts go like this

anyone who posts that it's hotter in the NE than it is in FL is foolish

BTC posts that it's hotter in the NE than it is in FL (even after seeing that it's clearly not the case on average)

If you were able to pass a basic philosophy class and deal with constructing arguments you can fill out the 3rd line
That's terrific. I even read a few lines of it. And I'm STILL done talking about the weather on a baseball forum.

But you have yourself a great weekend!

I'm sure wherever you are, it's hot, but it's still THE place to be. So enjoy.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
News flash....its also warm in the northeast in the baseball season. And we also have beaches and plenty of other outdoor things to do.

Like I've said, the southern "warm weather" states have no problem selling out events like WWE wrestling and NASCAR races. Its real sports that they have trouble supporting.
Well you left out College football. In the South there are more die hard fans of College football than anywhere else.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Quote:
You're just jealous. Philly fans support their teams, unlike that poor excuse for a sports town in Tampa ....er, Tampa Bay, Tampa isn't enough of a city to stand on its own with their sports teams.....sure, Philly fans will let the teams know when they don't appreciate their lack of effort, but why shouldn't they when they spend their hard-earned money to see their teams play? NY and Boston are pretty much the same as Philly....as much as I hate NY teams, I respect their fans for being real fans....places like LA where they show up in the 3rd and leave in the 7th, or places like Florida and Atlanta where they barely come at all, don't even belong in the same conversation as northeastern cities when it comes to sports fans.
Philadelphia, supporting the Phillies since 2004. NY and Boston are pretty much the same as Philly. Coming out of your coma in 2004 is special to you but be honest now.

Quote:
News flash....its also warm in the northeast in the baseball season. And we also have beaches and plenty of other outdoor things to do.

Like I've said, the southern "warm weather" states have no problem selling out events like WWE wrestling and NASCAR races. Its real sports that they have trouble supporting.
LOL, retrograde amnesia sucks.

Quote:
As a Phillies fan, its kind of amusing to see the Mets falling apart, but then again, there was something more fun about being in a battle for the division with the Mets rather than the Braves. Maybe its because NY is right up the road, maybe its because NY fans are more passionate than ho-hum Atlanta fans.

That's not it. Everyone knows that ATL is a 660 mile hop and skip from Philadelphia. Quick question for you: If Atlanta drew 60K every game, would anything change between the two fanbases?

It's funny because Finger Laker's post #99 should have made you back off but the Phans sat on the fence instead. Speedaddicted's post #114 made you back off (you didn't want it with a Sox fan) and become sensible. It's funny that your heart came back in time to go after the easy target in Tampa Bay (established in 98 and was garbage up until 2008). The Phillies were established in 1883 so they should have a larger base than Tampa.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Phillies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
What's funny is that kid can hold his liquor better than most Dodger fans.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Yankees?

Cal Ripken Avoids Beer Dumping During TBS Pre Game Show

Old 10-20-2010, 03:52 PM

Yankees???

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/180228761.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82& Expires=1287612442&Signature=nGnos3qHW%2BNJSvlaWmN 0OIhEQ6U%3D (broken link)

One cent! For a playoff game? New Yorkers are not real fans!!! Move the team

Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Phillies???

Quote:
Probably. And drug addict hippies and crossdressers singing the national anthem. Typical San Fransicko.

I wonder, does bringing up the fact that their favorite team lost to a team who has some fans who are 'drug addicts', 'hippies' and 'cross dressers' make them feel better, or worse?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 AM

I think we have a 'winner'

Yankees

It's one thing to be a jackass fan. It's another thing to be a jackass fan that might cost your team one of the best pitchers in the game

Quote:
Perhaps the Rangers' greatest sales pitch simply was having Kristen sit in the visiting family section at Yankee Stadium during the playoffs. She says there were ugly taunts. Obscenities. Cups of beer thrown. Even fans spitting from the section above. "The fans did not do good things in my heart," Kristen says. "When people are staring at you, and saying horrible things, it's hard not to take it personal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball