Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
They should not be called the Fab 5, they never earned it.

How about the Failed 5.

All the basketball talent in the world with not enough IQ to even get dressed without help.

They needed a point guard from Duke to be able to win the big games.
I personally didn't like Duke but I always thought that Grant Hill carried himself well and handled this one just as well. I never lost to the Fab 5... great line! The Fab 5 were a bunch of whiners especially Chris Webber who singlehandedly ruined our possible dynasty in Golden State. I don't want to play center...so they brought in Ronnie Seikaly. You traded my friend Billy Owens. *****, *****, *****...that's all he did!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 06:42 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
What is the point of making remarks about these guys' intelligence or supposed lack thereof? What is that supposed to demonstrate? Interestingly, I have watched Jalen Rose address this issue and he seems very clear and consistent with his explanation. Jalen expressed how he felt as a teenager. It was a statement of what his thinking was at the time. IMO, Grant Hill overreacted. His response seems more like a defense of Duke than anything else. That is fine. But being classy would have been letting it roll of his back. Or better yet sitting down in a public forum and speaking with Jalen so the two of them can come to an agreement. Anyone who actually paid attention to his comments in context will realize Hill mis-characterized Rose's sentiments. But hey, Jalen is the unintelligent one right?

I have always liked Grant Hill. Still he comes off as overly sensitive with this one. People will disagree with me. So be it.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
I love Grant, great guy but no reason for a response. Jalen clearly said that is how he felt as a teen and he is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Duke is seen as a prestigious school for a chosen few, not for everyone. I'm not arguing if that is good or bad, it is what it is.

Everyone always wants to say their 2 cents. Grant took this out of context.

Fab 5 CHANGED NCAA baseketball forever, like UNLV...

Old 03-19-2011, 08:19 PM

122 posts, read 202,650 times
jalen was asked what he thought about grant hill at 18 and he gave an honest answer. but lets be honest, duke would've never recruit a bunch of inner city black kids who would no doubt bring their inner city up-bringing with them. that's why for years john thompson, jr. recruited black players to georgetown (another prestigious private school) so that they could receive a quality education from a quality institution because a school like duke would never afford them such a chance. i don't look down on them for their recruiting practices, they own that right, but lets not act like jalen's comments weren't expressing that reality.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 PM

211 posts, read 370,362 times
People are making an argument out of what he said 20 years ago! Where I'm from people always hated Duke we respected them but hated them people went from loving UNLV to the Fab Five in those days. Also Jalen is opening up a charter school in Detroit for the sole purpose of giving inner city kids better options so they can maybe go to a duke one day.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:26 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrule View Post
People are making an argument out of what he said 20 years ago!
Kind of. Jalen Rose either did not caviat his statement with "I don't feel this way now," or ESPN did a crappy job of editing it. When I initially watched the show, I got the impression he still had a problem with Grant Hill, just not as much as he did when he was 18. I could see how a person could see it either way, but from Grant Hills POV, he basically got called an uncle tom on national TV by one of his piers. He had every right to be pissed and he responded in a classy way - at least thats my take.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:17 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
jalen was asked what he thought about grant hill at 18 and he gave an honest answer. but lets be honest, duke would've never recruit a bunch of inner city black kids who would no doubt bring their inner city up-bringing with them. that's why for years john thompson, jr. recruited black players to georgetown (another prestigious private school) so that they could receive a quality education from a quality institution because a school like duke would never afford them such a chance. i don't look down on them for their recruiting practices, they own that right, but lets not act like jalen's comments weren't expressing that reality.
Then there are some of us that would argue that Duke just wasn't offering enough money to players like that to get them to come play there.

I think it's disingenuous to try to confuse the payments, the street level scouts, the bribes, the faux jobs for relatives that make up the landscape of college basketball with some sort of snooty recruiting philosophy.

Personally, I'm able to separate my general hatred of Duke (due to their fans largely being a-holes) with the facts of the matter.

If Grant Hill was an uncle tom then 4 of the 5 fab were prostitutes.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Kind of. Jalen Rose either did not caviat his statement with "I don't feel this way now," or ESPN did a crappy job of editing it. When I initially watched the show, I got the impression he still had a problem with Grant Hill, just not as much as he did when he was 18. I could see how a person could see it either way, but from Grant Hills POV, he basically got called an uncle tom on national TV by one of his piers. He had every right to be pissed and he responded in a classy way - at least thats my take.
Yep. I wonder how many times Grant Hill has been called an uncle tom, oreo or other derogatory term in his life? Probably a whole bunch.

Damn straight he should pwn Rose for talking trash etc. and he sure did.

I think it's funny that you can't call out some NBA star for getting involved in gunplay, having tons of kids they aren't taking care of etc. without being called a racist, playa hater etc. but sure....go ahead and call Grant Hill and uncle tom. He went to Duke, he's just some light-skinned oreo....let him have it. <sigh>

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
You guys are overreated to what Rose said. My goodness.

I can't stand Duke either. I never liked them.

The Fab 5 will always be awesome in my book.

Does having a higher gpa really mean that you're "smarter" than someone?

Many of the world's richest people never even graduated from college.

Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard and Chris Webber are some of the classiest buys who ever played in the NBA.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Duke does in fact recruit players with certain squeaky clean images. Not necessarily based on race but definitely based on class & affluent background.
Like Robert Brickey from Fayetteville NC? Definitely silver spoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball