Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 PM

89 posts, read 274,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
No, it doesnt. College baseball is not as popular as college basketball. That doesnt show anything about the overall sports but just those sports at that level. It has always been that way so I am not sure what kind of point you are trying to make.
touché
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
The only way the NBA has any chance in hell of passing MLB is for Kevin Love to hopefully have 14 or 15 younger brothers who all love basketball. Yep, I just went ahead and said what we all know to be the truth. The lack of home grown white stars is what is hurting the NBA.

What are the top sports in the US? Football, where the most visible stars (the quarterbacks) tend to be white. Ditto for college Football. Baseball produces tons of white home grown players. This is also why college basketball is PERCEIVED to be more popular than the NBA, white players have more visibility at the best schools (take Duke for example over the years). NASCAR is supposedly one of the fastest growing sports in the US...pretty much a white dominated sport...if there are any black drivers, I wouldnt know since I don't watch, but you get my point.

I know some folks will roll their eyes and say "he's playing the race card", but you just cannot fight human nature. We tend to like people who we relate to. It's the same reason why baseball has fallen off the map in the african american community; the american born black baseball stars have become an endangered species. (I've never understood why that is. MLB has as much if not more money than the NBA and the NFL, the salaries are comparable, yet baseball interest is pretty much zero, now that's a head scratcher)

This post is coming from a die hard black NBA fan. Just telling it like it is.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
The only way the NBA has any chance in hell of passing MLB is for Kevin Love to hopefully have 14 or 15 younger brothers who all love basketball. Yep, I just went ahead and said what we all know to be the truth. The lack of home grown white stars is what is hurting the NBA.

What are the top sports in the US? Football, where the most visible stars (the quarterbacks) tend to be white. Ditto for college Football. Baseball produces tons of white home grown players. This is also why college basketball is PERCEIVED to be more popular than the NBA, white players have more visibility at the best schools (take Duke for example over the years). NASCAR is supposedly one of the fastest growing sports in the US...pretty much a white dominated sport...if there are any black drivers, I wouldnt know since I don't watch, but you get my point.

I know some folks will roll their eyes and say "he's playing the race card", but you just cannot fight human nature. We tend to like people who we relate to. It's the same reason why baseball has fallen off the map in the african american community; the american born black baseball stars have become an endangered species. (I've never understood why that is. MLB has as much if not more money than the NBA and the NFL, the salaries are comparable, yet baseball interest is pretty much zero, now that's a head scratcher)

Is this why hockey is the number one sport in the USA?

Old 03-31-2012, 06:08 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post

This is paranoid rhetoric - I hope nobody takes it seriously. Sports in this country have reached an INSANE level of popularity in this country, with a large % of athletes being black. Golf, soared to new heights with Tiger, the NBA peaked in many ways in the 80s/90s on the back of Jordan's bulls.

Your example of baseball, with the largest percentage of white players of the big three, has been falling out of public favor compared to decades ago.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
The great thing about sports is that no one cares about your race,your age, how ugly you are, etc.
In sports we're all one. Just show what you got and you will be respected.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
Pro basketball abandoned this part of the country long ago when St. Louis went to Atlanta and Kansas City went to Sacramento ( I think that's where they went, this happened before my time). The sport isn't talked about on local sports talk, although it is when the national feed is broadcast. I think if the local ABC station wasn't contractually obligated to show the pro game it would probably show a movie, golf, or if they could swing it, the Birds on the Bats (I so, so wish that could happen).

Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
I challenge the consensus on here that MLB is #2 and not the NBA. Depending on how you rank them... The NBA is #2 already.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_pro..._in_popularity

And the NASCAR being the fastest growing sport is misleading...
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar...ascar-20110322

Last edited by Mr. GE; 04-01-2012 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Yeah, "fastest growing" means nothing except that it didn't have much of a following before. If professional pickle ball went from selling 2 tickets last year, to 8 this year, people will predictably say: "ZOMG ITS GROWN BY 400% AT THIS RATE THE NATION WILL BE SWEPT BY THE CRAZE IN 10 YEARS"

Old 04-01-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Is this why hockey is the number one sport in the USA?

hmmm, reading comprehension is lacking here I said, the NBA needs more HOME GROWN white stars. Last I checked, most of the NHL guys are from Europe/Canada.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
This is paranoid rhetoric - I hope nobody takes it seriously. Sports in this country have reached an INSANE level of popularity in this country, with a large % of athletes being black. Golf, soared to new heights with Tiger, the NBA peaked in many ways in the 80s/90s on the back of Jordan's bulls.

Your example of baseball, with the largest percentage of white players of the big three, has been falling out of public favor compared to decades ago.
paranoid??? I'm being realistic. And I think the NBA agrees with me. Why do you think they have been steadily cracking down on "thug behavior" (eg the dress codes of a few years ago)? Because they realize that having too many "thugs" which we can all agree is code for urban blacks, turns off mainstream america. This is also why the NBA is pretty much focused on marketing and expansion overseas. They know that the US is pretty much tapped out for them. It's ironic that you bring up the NBA peaking in the 80s, because that's probably the last time the NBA had the kind of balance you need to succeed in America. The NBA was majority black but you still had enough great white stars with visibility to the public so the league was still acceptable to mainstream america. You know the names; Bird, McHale, Ainge, Mullins, Chambers, Stockton, Price, Laimbeer, and so on. Back then, these were either All Stars or at least major contributors, so young kids from the suburbs had idols who looked like them, and that they could relate to.

If white suburban parents had to choose between Peyton Manning and Allen Iverson, or even Kobe Bryant, who do you think they will encourage their kids to follow? My money is on Peyton. And while we can all ignore the facts, the point that Peyton is someone they can relate to better than Iverson will play a role in their decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball