Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:49 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times

Advertisements

Is it because he is Chinese-American? The fans love him, but the media is pouncing on any chance it gets to criticize him.

ESPN: 'Ch_nk' in Armor'
Daily News: 'Linvisible'

Here is a guy making the NBA minimum, unknown and undrafted, with little or no playing or practice time with the regulars - and all of the sudden when he doesn't have a great game against players making 10 times as much as he does, they start disrespecting him? That is blatantly unfair to him, and I seriously doubt that it would happen if he were black or white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
BS

The counter to that would be why is the media pumping him up so much - Linsanity, Linderella, etc.

After all, he's just a guy making the league minimum with little or not playing time against regulars and without nearly the proven performance record of those making 10x as much as him.

Some of the commentary has been bad (looking at you mayweather, the armor comment, etc)

However, most of his press has been very favorable and he's shot up to a prominent stage and has played himself into a story as a national interest

When you play in NY they will get after you - especially in rags like the post and daily news.

Guy had a horrible game - you take the good with the bad and for better or worse he is no longer some unknown bench player

He's the starting PG for a team making a playoff push in the largest market in the US while drawing amazing amounts of interest from the largest global market.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
That's the media for you. Always quick to start the bandwagon, first to hop off.

Of course, find another hobby, no offense. I assume you watch enough TV to know this stuff is being put out there. I don't.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
I say there is FAR more positive commentation in the media then negative. I also think some are a bit over sensitive to some of the stuff people say. Let me put it this way, why does saying ***** in the armor bother you? That saying spans centuries literally, and is a reference to a weak point not anyone's race. "my lord you have a ***** in your armor, we should fix that".

Not offensive, and anyone who is offended is either an idiot or is trying to garner attention to a subject not worthy of said attention.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Is it because he is Chinese-American? The fans love him, but the media is pouncing on any chance it gets to criticize him.

Here is a guy making the NBA minimum, unknown and undrafted, with little or no playing or practice time with the regulars - and all of the sudden when he doesn't have a great game against players making 10 times as much as he does, they start disrespecting him? That is blatantly unfair to him, and I seriously doubt that it would happen if he were black or white.
Someone wrote something bad about him in the newspaper. Time to call the wahhhhhhbulance. And who cares how much these guys are making. I don't think you get extra points in scoring column for making only $300k a year(or whatever he is making). And he had more than a bad game, he could not even dribble the ball up the court past the half court line without a pick.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

Seriously dude, you must have been utterly ignorant to the THOUSANDS of headlines claiming his praises. So he gets ripped for a bad game and now it's disrespect and racism?

This post is probably the most clueless POS I've seen in the sports forum in years.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I say there is FAR more positive commentation in the media then negative. I also think some are a bit over sensitive to some of the stuff people say. Let me put it this way, why does saying ***** in the armor bother you? That saying spans centuries literally, and is a reference to a weak point not anyone's race. "my lord you have a ***** in your armor, we should fix that".

Not offensive, and anyone who is offended is either an idiot or is trying to garner attention to a subject not worthy of said attention.
Many words have multiple uses and when used in that headline it comes off as an offensive pun

***** is derogatory term directed at people of Asian descent - it just is.

A ****** is a bundle of sticks

Gay is happy

A spade is a hand tool

There are countless other possible headlines that the writer could have used to point out a flaw in his game - but he chose the one that would immediately draw a racial undertone to anyone with an ounce of awareness

Just a flat out stupid heading at best

Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Seriously dude, you must have been utterly ignorant to the THOUSANDS of headlines claiming his praises. So he gets ripped for a bad game and now it's disrespect and racism?

This post is probably the most clueless POS I've seen in the sports forum in years.
Not to mention guy was on the cover of SI for consecutive weeks ..... there are so many players/great athletes that haven't been on once, let alone twice, over the course of their careers

Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 PM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Not to mention guy was on the cover of SI for consecutive weeks ..... there are so many players/great athletes that haven't been on once, let alone twice, over the course of their careers
Yep. I was reading one of those just last night at the oil-change place.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Many words have multiple uses and when used in that headline it comes off as an offensive pun

***** is derogatory term directed at people of Asian descent - it just is.

A ****** is a bundle of sticks

Gay is happy

A spade is a hand tool

There are countless other possible headlines that the writer could have used to point out a flaw in his game - but he chose the one that would immediately draw a racial undertone to anyone with an ounce of awareness

Just a flat out stupid heading at best

Thanks for the English lesson in reference to words with double meanings.

Bottom line, they are only words, they only do harm if you LET them do harm. They are only offensive if you LET them offend you.

People in this country LET to much offend them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball