Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,205,453 times

Advertisements

San Antonio takes the cake this year. Assuming LeFraid doesnt show up in the end as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,205,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
He will be just fine. Young guys under 30 heal fast. Now Dwight Howard's back injury is worst, they should have traded him for Bynum straight up when thay had the chance.
Bynum is more injury prone than Dwight, so why in the hell would we (Orlando Magic) do that?

Old 05-04-2012, 06:03 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Oh ok, so you answer my post by linking me to someone else's opinion. Don't know if you read the article fully, but it says that alot of the more recent ACL success comebacks are by bigmen, not blazing fast point guards who rely alot on their physical gifts.

So, the point isn't whether Rose will return. The question is, what kind of player will he be? Will he have the same level of quickness, same level of explosiveness? Remains to be seen, but that article doesn't really validate your opinion any more than before. No-one really knows, because it's a case by case situation of who recovers, and more importantly to what extent they recover. The article so much as alludes to this:

"It’s great that Pat Garrity came back and was still able to dunk on Sam Dalembert, but it doesn’t really allude to what may happen to Rose, whose athleticism is more important than his skills."

"First, the not. Tim Hardaway tore his ACL at the end of his fourth season, and missed the whole 1993-94 campaign as a result. When he returned, he still put up 95 percent of his previous statistical output, but without the same level of explosiveness.
"

"There is no way of knowing what will happen to Rose, Shumpert, Rubio and Maynor."

End of the day, neither you or I, or the author, knows what is going to happen here.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
He can still play, but the chances of Derek Rose being *the* dynamic player that we've all come to love are slim. Ask Grant Hill.
Add Tracy McGrady to that list too...

Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
"First, the not. Tim Hardaway tore his ACL at the end of his fourth season, and missed the whole 1993-94 campaign as a result. When he returned, he still put up 95 percent of his previous statistical output, but without the same level of explosiveness. "
Not only that, but Hardaway's "explosiveness" was never anything like Rose's explosiveness. Tim was quick and had a technically efficient cross-over. But I can't ever remember him going coast-to-coast, splitting defenders, and finishing on a Big with a two-handed tomahawk thunder jam. I think it's reasonable to say that an ACL tear is more likely to impact Rose's playing style than Hardaway's. But like you said, no one will know until he's back on the hardwood.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Is it too early to say the Bulls might be cursed at the guard position post Jordan?

Jay Williams... and Derrick Rose...

I know Williams was hurt in a completely different way... and much more serious but an ACL is rough on an NBA player like Rose. And the ACL was part of Jay Williams injuries from that motorcycle accident.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not only that, but Hardaway's "explosiveness" was never anything like Rose's explosiveness. Tim was quick and had a technically efficient cross-over. But I can't ever remember him going coast-to-coast, splitting defenders, and finishing on a Big with a two-handed tomahawk thunder jam. I think it's reasonable to say that an ACL tear is more likely to impact Rose's playing style than Hardaway's. But like you said, no one will know until he's back on the hardwood.
No, Tim certainly wasn't on that level of explosiveness. If memory serves, he started bombing from long range alot more after his injury( his stint in Miami). He still had the crossover, but it certainly wasn't at the level of his Run TMC days at Golden State, in terms of effectiveness.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:14 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
San Antonio takes the cake this year. Assuming LeFraid doesnt show up in the end as usual.
The thing that impresses me most about San Antonio is that they defend really well. Their precision passing and timing is a given - they're going to execute the way the Patriots do in football. They're a machine. But I like how they defend the rim and don't give up easy points, and they make teams pay for mistakes in transition. They reverse the direction on the court so quickly it makes teams heads spin.

THe thing that concerns me about them is the size and athleticism they give up inside. It will be interesting to see how they handle Los Angeles (or Denver) or OKC. Would not count out Memphis, either. Clips are a long shot but they're athletic, too. I think the size of LA presents problems, though the Lakers have major disciplinary issues that the Spurs could exploit. The team that would worry me is OKC.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Oh ok, so you answer my post by linking me to someone else's opinion. Don't know if you read the article fully, but it says that alot of the more recent ACL success comebacks are by bigmen, not blazing fast point guards who rely alot on their physical gifts.

So, the point isn't whether Rose will return. The question is, what kind of player will he be? Will he have the same level of quickness, same level of explosiveness? Remains to be seen, but that article doesn't really validate your opinion any more than before. No-one really knows, because it's a case by case situation of who recovers, and more importantly to what extent they recover. The article so much as alludes to this:

"It’s great that Pat Garrity came back and was
still able to dunk on Sam Dalembert, but it doesn’t really allude to what may happen to Rose, whose athleticism is more important than his skills."

"First, the not. Tim Hardaway tore his ACL at the end of his fourth season, and missed the whole 1993-94 campaign as a result. When he returned, he still put up 95 percent of his previous statistical output, but without the same level of explosiveness.
"

"There is no way of knowing what will happen to Rose, Shumpert, Rubio and Maynor."

End of the day, neither you or I, or the author, knows what is going to happen here.
Rose was not even explosive in the latter half of the season.
Did you not watch games?
Everyone was whining about him being too perimetal

Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Rose was not even explosive in the latter half of the season.
Did you not watch games?
Everyone was whining about him being too perimetal
Rose has been dealing with injuries for a good portion of the season, prior to the ACL injury. What point are you getting at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball