Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2013 NBA Champ
Miami Heat 19 26.39%
San Antonio Spurs 53 73.61%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times

Advertisements

Spurs. Better coached, more adaptable, dependable, rested, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:04 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
The stats don't account for the fact that the Spurs play a tougher schedule out West than the Pacers, though.
I still think the Pacers are better defensively, but not by much.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The stats don't account for the fact that the Spurs play a tougher schedule out West than the Pacers, though.
I still think the Pacers are better defensively, but not by much.
That's true but basketball-reference.com has a stat that takes that into account, DRtg/A, which is points allowed per 100 possessions adjusted for strength of opponents' offense. Using that stat the Pacers are 2nd and the Spurs are 3rd (Memphis is 1st). Miami is 9th, although I think they can be a lot better than that when they're not sandbagging.

For anyone who is curious they have the opposite stat for offense, points scored per 100 possessions adjusted for the strength of opponents defense. Miami is 1st, San Antonio is 8th. OKC 2nd, Pacers 21st. Miami doesn't always look like the smoothest offensive team but they play at a slow pace (8th slowest in the league) and are very efficient.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 06-04-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Hibbert is a center, Duncan is a power forward though. If anything we should be comparing Hibbert to Splitter, and Duncan to David West. Duncan is better than West, Hibbert is better than Splitter. Duncan and Splitter vs. Hibbert and West is close to a wash with maybe a slight advantage to the Pacers. Diaw and Blair are a little better than Mahinmi and Hansbrough.

Spurs are better inside than the Heat but probably not any better than Indiana or Chicago.

The Heat don't need to outplay SA inside. They just need to not give up a bunch of bunnies around the rim and to rebound on defense. IMO they should be more worried about limiting Tony Parker, playing passing lanes, closing out shooters and getting a hand in shooters' faces.

Exactly, Taigo Splitter doesn't present the same defensive threat as Roy Hibbert down low in the post.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,510 times
Spurs in 6. Popovich will expose Spoelstra. Parker will destroy Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole. LeBron will carry the Heat to a win or two, but it won't be enough. The X-factor for Miami is Wade.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,127,636 times
Im thinking the Xfactor for Miami is, Allen/Miller. Ifmfor some reason they get hot it can changes some things up.

However same goes for the Spurs bench. There have been games when the Spurs' bench scores 30-40 points.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
the key to the series i believe is tp...i believe miami will negate alot of what tp does, but i hope i'm wrong...would like to see spurs win it again for duncan, but i do think the heat will win in 6 games and possibly 7.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
That's true but basketball-reference.com has a stat that takes that into account, DRtg/A, which is points allowed per 100 possessions adjusted for strength of opponents' offense. Using that stat the Pacers are 2nd and the Spurs are 3rd (Memphis is 1st). Miami is 9th, although I think they can be a lot better than that when they're not sandbagging.

For anyone who is curious they have the opposite stat for offense, points scored per 100 possessions adjusted for the strength of opponents defense. Miami is 1st, San Antonio is 8th. OKC 2nd, Pacers 21st. Miami doesn't always look like the smoothest offensive team but they play at a slow pace (8th slowest in the league) and are very efficient.
I think a part of Miami's offensive efficiency are the easy points they generate off turnovers. They are just so good at picking off the lazy pass and turning it into 2 fast points.

Bosh and Wade have to show up consistently this series, Spurs need to limit their turnovers and control the boards.

I am super excited about this series. I have largely felt robbed by all the injuries that have cheated us out of better match-ups in the playoffs. If Lebron or Parker etc. go down with a serious injury in game 1 I think I will just shut the TV off in disgust and call this the asterisk season.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
can i change my vote? damn SI put the spurs on the cover of the magazine! the media REALLY wants the heat to win, bad enough to jinx the spurs like this.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
can i change my vote? damn SI put the spurs on the cover of the magazine! the media REALLY wants the heat to win, bad enough to jinx the spurs like this.

Ugh.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball