Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:26 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Better to rest vs the opposite conference. In case of ties, it can go to record in your own conf.
But it's a bad thing for the fans who paid to see lebron. And it would have been a bad thing for the network if the game was televised on TNT or ESPN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 08:39 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Such a tired silly argument.

The teams are here to win a title, not to cottle to "fans" in other cities. If a coach feels resting his stars is going to help come playoffs, then suck it up buttercup, he's gonna rest them. Generally the only people complaining are "fans" of teams that have no chance to win anything. Cavs fans, Spurs fans, warriors, Miami back when they were winning, these people didn't/don't cry over the stars missing a game here or there.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:45 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,436 times
Quote:

The teams are here to win a title, not to cottle to "fans" in other cities. If a coach feels resting his stars is going to help come playoffs, then suck it up buttercup, he's gonna rest them. Generally the only people complaining are "fans" of teams that have no chance to win anything. Cavs fans, Spurs fans, warriors, Miami back when they were winning, these people didn't/don't cry over the stars missing a game here or there.
But you can understand how the causal fan would be disappointed if they purchased front row seats? And it's even more important I would think to fans of teams who have no shot to win anything because that would be the highlight of the season to see lebron up close.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
But you can understand how the causal fan would be disappointed if they purchased front row seats? And it's even more important I would think to fans of teams who have no shot to win anything because that would be the highlight of the season to see lebron up close.
but "casual fans" dont buy front row seats.
nearly every arena the "lower bowl" is bought out by "scalpers" and season ticket holders. generally corporate season ticket holders at that. i have long been a corporate season ticket holder for the rockets, and i always gave tickets to customers, who generally couldnt care less whos playing as the tickets were free.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:10 AM

this from cuban on the cavs sitting their players.

Quote:
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban defended the Cavaliers' decision.

"Look, on the one hand it seems unfair to the Memphis fans, but on the other hand the science is all there that says guys need rest," Cuban said, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "The one thing worse than a visiting team not getting to see a star player is the home team's fans missing a lot of games from that star player.

"As we get more scientifically driven, you'll see teams trying to play guys fewer minutes and fewer games because it protects their body. If you protect a guy's body, fans get to see them in more games overall."
i dont like him (ok so hes good on shark tank) but i agree with him

of course in the same article, d'antoni is complaining about resting players. of course this from a guy who ran his players to death, and coudnt get over the hump with some of the most talented lineups out there.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:36 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Memphis fans need to work on buying tickets every other night as well.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:44 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,043 times
Quote:

...or Cavs fans who have moved to cities with better opportunities than Cleveland.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:49 AM

sounds very "putting the needs of the few ahead of the good of the many"

bottom line, coaches will rest who and when they feel like it, as cuban said the science behind it is sound, so #GetOverIt

Old 12-15-2016, 11:13 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
This stinks, fans pay to see players, and they don't play but I understand the bigger picture.

This happened to me this Summer with Baseball. My team the Indians were close by in Anaheim. I was excited to see Lindor their All Star SS- he was out of the lineup that night. I was bummed. Maybe the rest made him play well in the postseason, maybe not. Was it fair? Probably not I bought the ticket a few months prior to game, but I understand the sport. I did buy a ticket the next day and he hit a home run. Maybe the day off helped?

Old 12-15-2016, 12:01 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,043 times
Quote:
sounds very "putting the needs of the few ahead of the good of the many"

bottom line, coaches will rest who and when they feel like it, as cuban said the science behind it is sound, so #GetOverIt
Well I'd be pissed if I spent $200/ticket to see Lebron and Kyrie come visit a local crappy team and they didn't show up, especially when tickets to Cleveland home games are often cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball