Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:12 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,012,924 times

Advertisements

If the culture on this board is any indication, the Lebron hate still seems to be pretty strong. (Just see the threads during the 2016 playoffs about how much of a failure Lebron is, and how 2-5 is set in stone.) From what I've seen, the Warriors bandwagon fans outnumber the Cavs bandwagon fans, especially once Kobe fell out of relevance (and Curry started chucking up 3s).

I agree that Iggy is the only guy who showed any heart. Plus Draymond in game 7. I think Curry's problem was more that he can't hit shots in big moments and falls apart emotionally (throwing his mouthpiece, etc.) and does dumb stuff like that behind-the-back pass. But I give the Cavs credit for rotating in such a way to force Curry to guard guys he isn't capable of guarding (Lebron and Kyrie).

Edit: Just as a data point, I was in the bay area for a while right after the Warriors won their championship, and everyone I saw was wearing Giants hats. Almost no one was wearing Warriors gear. They had just won the NBA finals, thought that was pretty interesting. The Giants were more or less an average team at the time. Of course these days I'd expect to see lots of Giants, Warriors, and Raiders gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,818,491 times
I don't live in Cleveland anymore. I grew up there. Many of the fans in 80s 90s (Price, Nance and hurt Daughtery days) (Fratello 70 point outburst games) (Shawn Kemp, Ricky Davis Triple Double) stuck around in early 00s and then when Lebron was drafted things went to another level. BUT...the 80s and 90s were still big and there were plenty of fans filling Richfield and then Gund Arena. The parade this past Summer- the fans have been there all along.

Granted, Cleveland will always be a football town. Browns fans are some of the best out there. Tortured but loyal and starving for a winner. When the 2015 Finals happened, injury bug hit many Cleveland and Cavs fan expected bad stuff to happen because it always does with Cleveland sports. There are already too many curses to count to add another to the list.

The mantra this past year was baseball, football, basketball all coming together. There is a lot of pride in Cleveland sports.

I don't know if the pride exists for the Dubs or they have this kind of timeline.

Now, having said that- there are Huge Lebron fans- that casually root for Cleveland. It is the fan boy era (millennials). I am a Cavs fan as described above- I'm not crazy about Lebron, as are some Cavs fans there are many like this in Cleveland and in other cities that got out of Cleveland. I have friends that still want to win a title without Lebron and feel that would be even more satisfying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball