Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 11:45 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Refs never got the fax because someone forgot to fill the paper tray

Would that be the same guy who forgot to tell the Cavs that they needed to outscore the Magic to win?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 01:33 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
both cities (orlando and l.a) have disney attraction parks, which generates alot of money + abc and espn are owned by walt disney company = the finals will be huge.
Stern is a stand-up guy, and surely never even considered manipulating the playoff series.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:10 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,691 times
Good he can polish his MVP when he watches Kobe get another ring. Never liked Lebron and all the media love he gets.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:59 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
Would he even be effective if he did come back?

Magic evaluating Nelson's status for NBA finals - NBA - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AumDDcU3epz6ezYF.3vmRxC8vLYF?slug=ap-magic-nelson&prov=ap&type=lgns - broken link)

Old 05-31-2009, 04:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, that's some incredibly wishful thinking. (You are forgetting about Orlandos other big man too) Orlando beat LA both meetings in the regular season and is playing very good ball right now. More likely, LA will have the same issues keeping Howard off the glass as everyone else.

I guess that forcing the ball at the Defensive player of the year is ONE possible strategy.
If I analyze the match-ups thoroughly I can see what you mean but my first thoughts are "The Lakers frontcourt will expose Orlando." Okay, since I'm thinking about it I just see Los Angeles bringing the intensity (Kobe, Phil, and Pau aren't about to let this slip). Orlando does have the edge at the 5 but Dwight will have to earn it all, Gasol is better than Lewis at the 4, Hedo is better than Trevor, Kobe's the best on the floor, and Skip will eat Fisher alive. Match-up wise Dwight will not dominate Bynum like he did with that Brazilian flopper Anderson Varejao, I think the Lewis Gasol matchup will be good (I think we'll see a lot of Odom though), Kobe/Ariza will score on and shut down Hedo, Ariza/Kobe will shut down Lee and Pietrus, and Rafer will be solid but so will Derek.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:44 PM
JL

This is gonna be an interesting series to see. The key is Dwight Howard and foul trouble. If he gets into foul trouble, it will be hard for the Magic to win. If he gets Gasol and Bynum in foul trouble, it will be tough for the Lakers also. I haven't seen much of Lewis's defense to know how good he is. Offensively, Lewis can spread the floor making Gasol go out and guard him cause of his 3 pt shooting. Gasol should be able to post him up. As far as the perimeter, the Magic should have Hedu come off the bench. There is no way he will come close to even containing Kobe since no one can stop him. Pietrus should start instead and be on Kobe which he did on LBJ. He had problems with LBJ posting him up, but i don't see Kobe really posting up that much. LBJ drives to the hole more than Kobe, so Pietrus has to force Kobe to shoot jumpers, which Kobe is much better at anyway. Kobe will get his 30-35pts. Rafer and Fish are pretty much cancelled out. I haven't seen much of Lee's defense, just his decent shooting.

Again, the key is foul trouble for Howard. The longer he is on the court, the better chance they have. If he can keep Kobe(and the other guards) from going to the hole, they have a chance, otherwise, they will lose. The Magic perimeter guys won't be as open as they were against the Cavs as i think Howard won't be doubled as much.The smart thing for the Magic would be to NOT shoot 3s all the time and take that midrange jumper and drive to the hole more which i didn't see hardly at all in the Cavs series. They need to move around and instead of standing around waiting for Howard to pass out while spotting for the 3. Mo and West were really too short to affect the Magic defensive wise, but the Lakers size on the perimeter(Ariza, Kobe) will alter their shots out there, so the Magic should go to the hole more. One advantage the Lakers will have without a doubt even before this series starts is their FT shooting. You can pretty much give them a +5 for every game already. It is like the Magic spotting them 5 pts already.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:57 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Yep, Orlando's a cute feel good story but they are done. Dwight has dominated against scrub post players for the longest but now he'll deal with real skill (Gasol, Bynum, and Odom) that will have him fouled out by halftime. The gritty Lakers in 5.
I say Lakers in 7.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
I say Lakers in 7.
The Lakers wil win one of two in LA and 2 out of 3 in Orlando so how will they win in 7?

Don't you mean 5?

Old 05-31-2009, 06:20 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,015 times
Yeah, such a cry-baby, b/c Jordan always shook the hands of the Pistons after they beat the Bulls, and Magic & Larry Legend always shook hands after their epic battles were over in the 80s. Only in the last decade has it become custom for NBA teams to congratulate one another after the series is over, I don't want to see the other team congratulate the winner, where's the competitive streak??

Old 05-31-2009, 06:22 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Lakers wil win one of two in LA and 2 out of 3 in Orlando so how will they win in 7?

Don't you mean 5?
Not quite. I think Orlando wins 1 of 2 in LA. Orlando wins 2 of 3 in Orlando to take a 3-2 lead. LA will take two at home again with the 7th game on a last second shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball