Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Now it's the height advantage? Manute Bol, Gheorge Muresan, Shawn Bradley...
He was 7ft and everyone else on the court was 5'11 and under
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:00 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,793 times
Quote:
Please humor me by providing the listing of the teams at the time with player heights? I can find it myself, no problem, but this is worse than a circular argument giving birth!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:22 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Shaq said himself he was never on Hakeem' level and that Hakeem is greatest center of all time
When after the '95 series or recently? Things have changed since 95 in regards to Shaq's resume/ego.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
lol, can you provide links, or numbers or anything?

Last edited by Orangeish; 03-02-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 06:01 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The problem with that argument is you can't name another guy who scored a 100 pts back then. Regardless of the time, Wilt's stats were ridiculous. He was a 7fter that ran tack and field at Kansas. He was the greatest combination of size, power, SPEED and athleticism to ever play the game. They had to create rules based on Wilt because he was so dominant. Even today, Wilt would be dominant because unlike most centers today, he had agility and speed and wasn't just a stiff or a glorified offensive lineman that mauled people (Shaq). And Hakeem only won 2 rings because Jordan took a 2 year hiatus.
Another bogus assertion. I guess i should make one too. The Rockets dominated the Bulls(going 5-1) during their first 3 championships, so i guess the rockets would have 5 titles if they made it to the Finals against the Bulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
shaq is certainly better than hakeem. kareem as well.
Offensively, i would agree about Shaq, but defensively no way! Kareem played in mostly the previous era, so hard to compare. I will say this, skillwise, Hakeem probably trumps both. Hakeem could dribble like a guard and drive to the hoop, hit that 15-17 ft jumper pretty consistently facing up, posting up turnaround jump shots(dream shake),some baby hook shots, and best foot movement in the game.

Defensively, he would block shots not like many others today where they would just whack the ball out of bounds. He would block the ball to his teammates. He mentioned about guiding his blocks to his teammates. Pretty smart. His weak side defensive help was like no other. He would go out to block perimeter shots from guards too during his younger days.

Last edited by JL; 03-03-2010 at 06:09 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Offensively, i would agree about Shaq, but defensively no way! Kareem played in mostly the previous era, so hard to compare. I will say this, skillwise, Hakeem probably trumps both. Hakeem could dribble like a guard and drive to the hoop, hit that 15-17 ft jumper pretty consistently facing up, posting up turnaround jump shots(dream shake),some baby hook shots, and best foot movement in the game.

Defensively, he would block shots not like many others today where they would just whack the ball out of bounds. He would block the ball to his teammates. He mentioned about guiding his blocks to his teammates. Pretty smart. His weak side defensive help was like no other. He would go out to block perimeter shots from guards too during his younger days.
Exactly - the most athletic center of all time? Definitely.

He played soccer as a youth and developed outstanding hand/eye coordination (every big man should play soccer or handball (Nowitzki played handball) - we wouldn't have any stiffs in the league if that were the case, imo.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:10 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
So Wilt's fault is the level competition, not his talent? I'm sure there are several HOF'ers that would love to hear your opinion of their (dis) abilities and medical conditions! Arguments can be made for any of these players but there is no definitive answer on the subject. Different eras, teams, styles, coaches and a host of other intangibles.

And I was a Rockets fan because of Hakeem, by the way.
george mikan is a hall of famer, lookin like this:

^lmao looks like david letterman. what do u think a player like dwight howard would do to this unathletic (yet hall of fame) skeleton lol
robinson, ewing, all the recent centers would've broken this fool in half
and that goes for everybody playing in that era and the era that wilt played in.
players who played before like.. 1980 are a joke. 80s+ produced the best players ever- bird, magic, hakeem, Jordan etc.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 PM
JL

"Soccer move" or "Sucker move"...LOL

YouTube - Hakeem Olajuwon- The Dream Shake

Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times

abusing ewing and robinson(again)

Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 PM
JL

Olajuwon from his college days to the NBA moving like a gazelle...oh Ralph Sampson was mixed in there.

YouTube - Ralph Sampson Y Hakeem Olajuwon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball