Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:34 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,610,724 times

Advertisements

phi slamma jamma!!

Ewing fan here, Hakeem was the greatest center ever.

Shaq? meh. I guess he would make the top ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:43 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,610,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
he hadn't come into his own yet.
Bro. That was one of the best years he's had in the NBA and got totally pwned by Hakeem; he squeaked by Smits, and is glad he didn't have to face Ewing instead of Smits.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:02 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times
I remember seeing a game back then where he blocked the Sonics McDaniel, but i can't seem to find it anywhere on the net. Does anyone have that clip? It was better than Strickland and KJ's block.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 AM

122 posts, read 202,738 times
i'll hitch my wagon to hakeem the dream as the GOAT. i've never seen a center with his foot work and range. that dream shake was just as unstoppable as the sky hook if not more.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,862 times
^he also had great patience and never bit on pump fakes. moved like a forward and had soft hands. no weaknesses that i can think of

Old 06-10-2010, 11:20 AM

542 posts, read 1,450,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
You mean Hakeem, and I disagree.

Simply on the basis of athletic versatility, I'll take the Dream - and I've watched both of their entire careers.
i did mean hakeem, my bad. anyway, my definition of greatness is the effect you have on your team to win. Shaq had a much greater effect than hakeem.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:24 PM
JL

Quote:
i did mean hakeem, my bad. anyway, my definition of greatness is the effect you have on your team to win. Shaq had a much greater effect than hakeem.
Sure, Shaq had a guy who was young and now one of the greatest players ever while Hakeem had no other star during his 1st title. He got Drexler who was already 33yrs old(for 2nd title) and Barkley who was on his last leg.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM

542 posts, read 1,450,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Sure, Shaq had a guy who was young and now one of the greatest players ever while Hakeem had no other star during his 1st title. He got Drexler who was already 33yrs old(for 2nd title) and Barkley who was on his last leg.

Your talking about Shaq like he played with Kobe his whole career. I think you also forget that Shaq was the best player on the Lakers when he was there. How good Kobe is now does nothing to change the fact that he wasn't as dominant and didn't have the effect Shaq had for the Lakers. The Rockets had a great team. Not like the Magic that Shaq early in his career carried to the finals.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:46 PM
JL

Quote:
Your talking about Shaq like he played with Kobe his whole career. I think you also forget that Shaq was the best player on the Lakers when he was there. How good Kobe is now does nothing to change the fact that he wasn't as dominant and didn't have the effect Shaq had for the Lakers. The Rockets had a great team. Not like the Magic that Shaq early in his career carried to the finals.
Penny Hardaway was way better than Kenny Smith/Maxwell/Cassell at that time. I remember people calling him the next Magic Johnson. They had Nick Anderson who used to give the Rockets fits all the time when they played in the regular season. That Magic team had more talent. Horry was still developing and was good. The Rockets were not a great team. They had to come back from being down 2-0 against the Suns. No one expected them to win especially after a disappointing regular season.Rockets were just determined and scrappy team which played good team defense. Individually, with exception of Hakeem, they were not as talented as Orlando.

Shaq then played with the Lakers and we know what that young kid out of high school is doing these days. Yes, Shaq was the better player on that team, but Kobe has turned out pretty well i think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball