Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Agree! I have relatives in Vicksburg, MS (pop. about 25,000) and all they talk about is the crime in their town. Drug problems are on the rise and car breakins and robberies are taking off. And don't even talk about Jackson, MS. They usually top 100 murders every year, and their population is half of Baton Rouge.
I understand a real personal incident can make you extremely bias towards an area. I watch stupid people drive around this city all the time. I hate the drivers here sometimes. But then I'll come across many people in a row that are willing to let you out of your parking lot, let you change lanes, or they'll slow down to let you merge in.
So to say Baton Rouge is a place full of stupid drivers can be a relatively true or a relatively false statement. So why say it.

I hate to break it to anyone thinking that there's this place of utopia anywhere in this country, or probably the world, but crime is the result of society as it is today. As the rich get richer, the poor get poorer; and as crime laws become lax, criminals are becoming bolder because they have nothing to lose.
You said it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,239 times
I was born in Baton Rouge, and moved to Austin, TX, last year after completing my graduate degree and finding better employment opportunities. In Baton Rouge I lived south of Perkins road, attended private schools for 13 years, and never experienced crime. After Katrina, south Baton Rouge began to feel like north Baton Rouge hence the feeling of crime increasing. The biggest annoyance for me was the traffic gridlock. It took me 20 minutes to drive 2 miles to my gym in the afternoons!
Overall, the biggest difference I can see in Austin compared to Baton Rouge is that there's just so much more to do here (live music, Lake Travis, lots of parks, hike and bike trails everywhere, Alamo draft house, and nearby Hill country). There is more diversity in Austin as well, but its the good diversity - diversity of ethnic backgrounds, education, thought, creativity, and more of a middle class here. In Baton Rouge I always felt like you were either upper middle class or poor, white or black, private or public, in or out. Since I grew up in the nicer area of Baton Rouge I recognised an inherent "snottyness" that I have yet to experience in Austin. I lived for a summer in a really nice area of central Dallas and the attitude was very similar there. It seems like Austin-ites come together a lot more for the good of the city and are less segregated and private. There are higher crime areas, as you would have in any city, but city supported efforts are being made to revitalise those areas.
Oh and the taxes! I recently bought a house in north Austin and the house was much cheaper than the same size house in Baton Rouge, although the property taxes here are steep to pay for the excellent public schools. I pay about $400/month in property taxes, but about $100K less for my house, and earn about $20K more a year here. Oh and we have no state income tax.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUstudent View Post
I beg to disagree with some of the above posters who say it has not risen in Baton Rouge. I live in Edward Gay graduate student housing on the LSU campus (north end) and we just had 2 students get murdered by a home invasion. They were shot in the head in an apparent robbery attempt. I am not saying THIS is indicative of increased crime because it can, and does, happen anywhere. However, for the last 6 months or so before these murders we had all been talking about how it seems that violent crime (gun related robberies) has definitely gone up. We were all feeling it and talking about it. It wasn't this bad until this past year so I don't know if it can be blamed on Katrina refugees. We were all starting to feel less safe and now we feel not safe at all. Fortunately the university has 24/7 police security here right now, have installed video cameras and are working hard to implement other measures. It has just been the last night or two that I have gone outside less to see that the police were still there.

I have talked to people who live in the very crime ridden north part off of Govt. and S. 17th street and they said that it has gone from really bad to completely bad, and are not sure why. It seems different groups are having turf battles and possibly some thug groups from NOLA have gotten settled in.

All I, and others know, is that gun related incidents are increasing. I personally know of 4 other students who have been robbed at gunpoint. At Tiger Manor (independent complex not a part of LSUModerator cut: no consumer complaints - don't move there, the management sucks) off of E. Chimes, 3 students were in an apartment and it got 'home invaded' by thugs with guns who stole their laptops and hit one over the head with the gun butt requiring 11 stitches. LSU immediately gave them housing at Ed Gay on the assumption that it was safer. Another student I know personally was robbed at gunpoint on campus when some people drove up in a car to ask for directions and then pointed a gun at him and demanded his money. All he had was a cell phone so they took that. This crime happened at least 3 other times on campus and now if anyone approaches in a car we would run immediately and not wait to find out what they want.

So to summarize - there are people here in baton rouge willing to arm rob people for a laptop and a cell phone. There are people here who are willing to murder, shoot people in the head at point blank range, to rob grad students in grad student housing - people who generally have no money. Perhaps they were thinking the students had Christmas presents which is pretty damn dumb considering they were HINDU Indian students who don't even celebrate Christmas. It is really freaky that they supposedly were waiting in the lot for someone to rob. It sounds like NOLA and right outside the French quarter to me. In fact, the only other 'home invasions' I knew of were taking place in NOLA a year after Katrina.

All I know is it seems the judicial system is broken in NOLA and the police stretched. I heard (am not sure here) that they can't even prosecute criminals half the time in NOLA because the courts were all flooded and they don't have the manpower or there is some sticking point with the govt. over funding of the DA or something. I forgot. So maybe the thugs are getting bolder.

I found this quote in an article about crime in Louisiana: Turner said with Louisiana being No. 1 in the nation in homicides and in the top 10 in violent crimes, "this is something we have to fix."
The Shreveport Times

A word of advice to those who want to portray a positive image of Baton Rouge etc. I totally understand this. Baton Rouge IS a lovely city and I love it here. However, the crime is starting to get to me. The way to get it fixed is to publicize it far and wide, not sweep it under the table. Only with accountability will the officials be pressed to fix it. We might suffer a bit of reputation loss but if it is fixed that will be restored. It is going to come out anyway, so let us be proactive and push for changes.
thank you. 1st step to fixing a problem is to admit it exists.
you got rep.
ps my mom is from NO.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_red8 View Post
I was born in Baton Rouge, and moved to Austin, TX, last year after completing my graduate degree and finding better employment opportunities. In Baton Rouge I lived south of Perkins road, attended private schools for 13 years, and never experienced crime. After Katrina, south Baton Rouge began to feel like north Baton Rouge hence the feeling of crime increasing. The biggest annoyance for me was the traffic gridlock. It took me 20 minutes to drive 2 miles to my gym in the afternoons!
Overall, the biggest difference I can see in Austin compared to Baton Rouge is that there's just so much more to do here (live music, Lake Travis, lots of parks, hike and bike trails everywhere, Alamo draft house, and nearby Hill country). There is more diversity in Austin as well, but its the good diversity - diversity of ethnic backgrounds, education, thought, creativity, and more of a middle class here. In Baton Rouge I always felt like you were either upper middle class or poor, white or black, private or public, in or out. Since I grew up in the nicer area of Baton Rouge I recognised an inherent "snottyness" that I have yet to experience in Austin. I lived for a summer in a really nice area of central Dallas and the attitude was very similar there. It seems like Austin-ites come together a lot more for the good of the city and are less segregated and private. There are higher crime areas, as you would have in any city, but city supported efforts are being made to revitalise those areas.
Oh and the taxes! I recently bought a house in north Austin and the house was much cheaper than the same size house in Baton Rouge, although the property taxes here are steep to pay for the excellent public schools. I pay about $400/month in property taxes, but about $100K less for my house, and earn about $20K more a year here. Oh and we have no state income tax.
I would first like to agree with you on the upper middle class or poor. You are right, I feel that it is that way in Baton Rouge. I do disagree with the fact that the attitude of people here is segregated. I have all kids of people in our neighborhood and we are always getting together for things. Does not matter color or whatever. Also, there are plenty of things to do here, you just did not look hard enough! This city is really changed for the better and as far as post Katrina, that was nearly 3 years ago and most people have moved away or moved on to another city-traffic is nothing comapred to where I used to live. Crime? I feel safe in most areas of Baton Rouge. I am sure you live in a great city, but Baton Rouge is great too. Oh, do they still speak English in Austin? I heard it was nothing but immigrants and such.....

Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,603 times
Default 50 + years here & leaving ASAP

I was reading a few of these comments, questions and answers and I no longer wonder why Baton Rouge (my home for 50 plus years) seems so foreign to me. Some of you say 'the crime rate is the same, just moved around some". Some of you say "it's going up" while others claim it is "the same". I've even read where some of you are perfectly content living in your own little world or bubble and do not see a problem. The bottom line is there are no remarks or helpful commentaries based on FACT. Just blythe, "bury your head in the sand type" supposition.
My wife has to plan her shopping at certain hours of the day (usually between 8am and noon) in order to avoid unruly crowds of pushy, unwashed dirtbags. Women (yes, WOMEN) cursing like drunken sailors, kids running helter skelter between clothing racks or along grocery isles, bums begging for money, or unsavory "characters" following her around in the stores. Then there is the traffic. We purposely live on the outskirts of Baton Rouge in order to have a little peace and quiet and to try and avoid the burglary problems associated with in-town living. When we make a trip to Baton Rouge for shopping or appointments of some sort it is wise to plan it during the morning or early afternoon to avoid the crazy drivers that run red lights, cut you off or slam on their brakes trying to make you hit them (so they can call an ambulance chaser attorney and sue).
Crime rate down? Not hardly. Burglaries are UP. They are just re-defined in the compilation of statistics; like a car burglary is now called a "theft from a vehicle". Robberies have to have certain characteristics now in order to be called a robbery. Arson is exclusively handled by the Fire Department and no longer fall under police stats. Drug investigations also have new modifiers in order for them to fall under the "old" qualifiers you all are used to. The school system is, well, I'm sure no one has a valid defense for that issue. We all know about the schools. Kids fight each other at the bus stops, at recess, on the way home, then the mothers get out in the street and fight each other because little so-and-so called little whomever an ugly name. Identity theft, car thefts, burglaries, robberies, rapes, shoplifting, general thefts like airconditioners, const. equipment, tools etc. all BY THE OLD DEFINITIONS are UP! How do I know all these things? I'M A COP,THAT'S HOW!. I've been a cop for nearly 30 years and I plan on leaving Baton Rouge as soon as I can. I know there is no such thing as utopia or "a perfect place" but Baton Rouge is NOT what I remember. I've lived here for more that 50 years and enough is enough. Our Mayor and other officials are doing the best they know how but, and it saddens me to say it, I think it is too late. The small town atmosphere, the friendly smiling people, the hard working citizens that actually GO TO SLEEP at a decent hour no longer exist.
***If you don't have any of the qualifications or moral standards this wonderful country or state was founded upon, then by all means either move here or stay here. As for me and my family, we're leaving this....(I'll be nice)....place.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:56 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,625 times
There's some truth to what you are saying, tiredcop. I can handle the crime rate right now, but really have to think about the fact that in 10 to 15 years, those kids who were brought up this way will be mostly turning to a life of crime. I expect it to get much worse, and don't want to retire here. I hate to think about it but I am looking to move in the next year or two.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:46 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredcop View Post
My wife has to plan her shopping at certain hours of the day (usually between 8am and noon) in order to avoid unruly crowds of pushy, unwashed dirtbags. Women (yes, WOMEN) cursing like drunken sailors, kids running helter skelter between clothing racks or along grocery isles, bums begging for money, or unsavory "characters" following her around in the stores. Then there is the traffic. We purposely live on the outskirts of Baton Rouge in order to have a little peace and quiet and to try and avoid the burglary problems associated with in-town living. When we make a trip to Baton Rouge for shopping or appointments of some sort it is wise to plan it during the morning or early afternoon to avoid the crazy drivers that run red lights, cut you off or slam on their brakes trying to make you hit them (so they can call an ambulance chaser attorney and sue)..
This post is awash in so much negativity I don't know if I'm reading satire or what. "Shopping between 8AM and noon..to avoid unruly crowds"..."'unsavory' characters following her around in the stores" ? Pleez

Partially agree on the bums - after Katrina, we inherited some of NO's problems. But the bums concentrate downtown (haven't they always ?) on the river, the offramp of I-10 at College, and (lately) in front of the Target on Siegen.

As to traffic (shrug) we have over 700K in our metro area. They're initiating several road widening projects right now, but those won't be done for a few years. And there are back streets to get around the traffic, if you keep your eyes open.

Anyway, just thought I'd put in a few cents, as the "Baton Rouge is a war zone crowd" is posting their silliness again

Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
I've gotten to where I don't bother with biased bitter people anymore. Nothing you can say will change their mind. But I have to say something just so people are aware that fair's fair in love & hate. Not everyone likes living in larger cities just as not everyone likes living in small rural towns.
Tiredcop, offer up your stats, please. I'd like to know what the cops know. I'm sure they don't put everything out in the media and the politicians probably wouldn't let them anyway, but from your rant I found you bitter and highly exaggerative; that or you're just one unlucky person.
So my point is I consider your rant to be another opinion and not based on any fact or merit (the same argument you tried to use against positive comments).
Most independent thinking people who live here know that most of our violent crime is generally limited to certain parts of town. The same can be said about most cities, larger and smaller than BTR.
Zachary has a murder maybe every 10-12 years or more, so because they had one recently does that make the whole town a horrible place to live? My point is that if most violent crime happens in the 'bad' areas, and then something bad happens in a more affluent area of town, does that suddenly make the affluent area of town a bad area as well? Because if we're basing assumptions on single occurances, then this whole country would have become a war zone a long time ago.
Better yet, here's a link everyone can be familiar with: http://brgov.com/dept/brpd/csr/.
Check out certain areas of town and get familiar with your crime stats. And then check out some other neighborhoods (especially prone 'bad' areas).
Some people say that we deny the problem, and I say that other people are running from the problem. You criticized the opinionated positive posts on here and then turned around and made an opinionated negative post. Opinions are welcomed on here, but what's the difference, really? It's still an opinion.
Enjoy your retirement.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,233 times
I moved here from Washington, D. C. back in 1979. Baton Rouge was a bit more provincial then, and the lack of amenities ALMOST had me thinking I should quit the job I took that moved me here.

As some posters have noted, Katrina has been a major catalyst in changing this town for the worse. One would have to be the ultimate optimist in order to think that things here will ever become better. Many are escaping to adjacent parishes in order to avoid some of EBR's malaise.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:37 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
As some posters have noted, Katrina has been a major catalyst in changing this town for the worse. One would have to be the ultimate optimist in order to think that things here will ever become better. Many are escaping to adjacent parishes in order to avoid some of EBR's malaise.
With all respect, I STRONGLY disagree with this assessment of BR. A lot has happened to our city in the past few years, and we have a mayor (and a newly elected Metrocouncil) who does NOT have a provincial attitude like those in the past did.

EBR is not perfect - no place is - but it's a pleasant place to live. You just need to get used to the humidity, the politics, and the occasional hurricanes. Of course, in the "paradise" of Texas, there's illegal immigration, rapid growth, and tornadoes. California ia broke. Nevada has lots of home foreclosures. And so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge