Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianbrotha View Post
D.C. is not really a large city
...its dense with a population of just aver 550K, but ther metro area of 6 million adds a cosmo vibe to d.c.
With D.C. i've got the best of almost everything for a Single Black Gay man.
Small town feel of the D.C. proper, Comsmopolitan feel of the entire metro area. A Large population on Gay and lesbian counter parts ( which adds to my sense of community) and the exposure to many other cultrures that i'd never met or seen in Louisiana.
When it comes to MID sized cites i can point to a few, that beat BR in Quality of life (RIchmond , VA. Provodince ,RI. Louisiville,KY. Norfolk, VA. Raleigh, and Durham, NC. i mean i can keep them coming) So it's not just D.C. that trumps B.R. in Quality of life.
Also ,Though the cost of living is exspensive, wages here in the metro area are the best in the country.
And before you argue your points which maybe valid...please do you research.
Where in any of my statements did I state something false? You are also assuming I think Baton Rouge is a better city than DC. Obviously DC is a better city than Baton Rouge. I was merely trying to point out that comparing DC to Baton Rouge is comparing apples to oranges. Are there better mid-size cities than BR? Yes, of course. Is Baton Rouge a bad city? I personally don't think so. I like Baton Rouge and think that its not a bad city at all to live in. Does it have its problems? Of course but there again no city is perfect.

By the way I like the Northeast and I am in fact moving to New York City next month. I just think that you are a bit off base in your accusations against Baton Rouge.

Oh speaking of research DC has a higher crime rate than BR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 PM

100 posts, read 392,249 times
I've changed my mind. You probably should leave Baton Rouge.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM

110 posts, read 390,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southland View Post
I've changed my mind. You probably should leave Baton Rouge.
We all should leave...lol, no seriously.. i asked because alot of my peers feel the same way and have left. and im sure many of you have heard some of the same comments.. being away from BR -post Katrina make me wonder how do people feel.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Can't say that I have heard many comments like that.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:56 AM

794 posts, read 3,357,543 times
Well, I would say I have because I was one of them. Quick story, I wouldn't just pack up and leave without a job or plan, so I went job hunting. And although I got interviewed many times out-of-state, noone picked me up (well except for Midland, Texas but I really didn't want to go out there). I guess they just didn't want to take a chance on someone from Louisiana or someone who hasn't moved in yet. That was my choice.
Now I'm not neccesarily disappointed I stayed in BTR because it is a great city and it has so much potential. The will to change it for the better is here and citizens and politicians are slowly acting on parts of it. It'll never be a DC or NYC or even NOLA, but it could easily create a new and unique identity say like Austin or even Charlotte now. I'm hoping it will because if it falls back into the gutter, more people will be willing to leave, possibly even me again.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:28 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
Quote:
We all should leave...lol, no seriously.. i asked because alot of my peers feel the same way and have left. and im sure many of you have heard some of the same comments.. being away from BR -post Katrina make me wonder how do people feel.
Well, I don't want to be in BR for the rest of my life for sure. I don't think it's a particularly bad place to be at all, though--definitely better than other places I've been in LA. Even so, like you, I'm not heterosexual, and that often factors in when I start thinking about whether or not to stay around here. On the other hand, I'm very Southern. That's something that doesn't seem to go away. Not sure I'd be happy in D.C. I haven't yet decided if ultimately, I'll be leaving Louisiana or not.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:37 PM

40 posts, read 153,764 times
Quote:
You may have your own reasons ,disagree or agree. Please fell free to speak.

#1. Night Life: There is not much for a single person to do after college...but get married or hang with other undergrads. In D.C. I currently enojy a health single life with my peers . Being 33 it helps to know your parting with grown up.

#2. Economy : The driving force behind B.R.'s economy is the university. this city needs to diversify its economy.( petro-chemical in the middle of the city doesnt count,it pollutes the enviroment.)
I will admit,there are some ambitious folks there who may bring some diversity to the economy.

#3. Public Transportaion : (having a bus sytem is one thing. But having buses that go where you need to is another) I have lived in D.C. for 5 years ,my 2003 Honda only has 30k miles on it..I walk or take public transit most places. Saves me time,gas,parking, and parking tickets.

#4. NO True Neighborhoods: Too many spread out,disconedted subdivisions don't exactly evoke a sense of community. (think open access, cultre,shopping,walking neighborhoods like, Georgetown, Adams Morgan,Captol Hill in D.C.,The Loop, Bucktown in Chicago, Harlem,Brooklyn in NYC.
New Urbanism.

#5. Tollerence :Respect for everyone ,everywhere just doesn't happen here. I'm black and gay.so I know this from 2 perspectives.

#6. No entertainmet scene: This city is missed by every tour every year. Opps I forget Sesame Street Live and Disney on Ice make regular stops here.. The Rivercenter is just too dated to lure major adult entertainment to this city.

#7. Lack of diversity:Baton Rouge views the the world only in black and white, there is not a huge pressence of any other ethnic groups, ( I hear many and see many different cultures daily in D.C.)

#8. Morale : NO ONE and I mean NO ONE, wants to be here when done with school. A University town that looses many of its high educated work force to Houston ,Dallas,Atlanta, and everywhere else.....hmmmmm?

#9. Distance :The Drive to Houston ,Dallas, and Atlanta is too much, when you could just live there.(D.C. day trips to mountains in the winter beaches in summer, 3 amusement parks, NYC is 4 hour drive,Philly 2 hour,B-more is down the street . Plus with 3 airports, and a huge trains station,there's always a seat avaible to anywhere.

#10. The Weather : It's too damn hot and muggy too long, (I currently enjoy a 4 distinct seaons in D.C.)
b-more down the street lol, good post...

Old 07-27-2008, 08:09 PM

110 posts, read 390,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Well, I don't want to be in BR for the rest of my life for sure. I don't think it's a particularly bad place to be at all, though--definitely better than other places I've been in LA. Even so, like you, I'm not heterosexual, and that often factors in when I start thinking about whether or not to stay around here. On the other hand, I'm very Southern. That's something that doesn't seem to go away. Not sure I'd be happy in D.C. I haven't yet decided if ultimately, I'll be leaving Louisiana or not.
Good luck deciding, I couldn't wait it out anymore. All my peers have since moved on to cities with a more dense gay population. Atlanta,Houston,Dallas, and so on.
Baton Rouge is a great Family town.But for people not raising families and seeking to lead and alternative life. B.R. lacks what we need socially.
I hope to see a diverse and accepted GLBT community there one day.
Where would you go if you left BR?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:47 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
Quote:
Good luck deciding, I couldn't wait it out anymore. All my peers have since moved on to cities with a more dense gay population. Atlanta,Houston,Dallas, and so on.
Baton Rouge is a great Family town.But for people not raising families and seeking to lead and alternative life. B.R. lacks what we need socially.
I hope to see a diverse and accepted GLBT community there one day.
Where would you go if you left BR?
I think in time it will have a more diverse GLBT community, but maybe not in any of our lifetimes. (Or maybe I'm a cynic about it).

Well, I'm really in love with New Orleans and I've thought seriously about settling down there. Did you ever consider New Orleans?

On the other hand, some have told me to get out of the state altogether, and many have suggested Austin. But I don't know where my career will take me, so I'm just going to wait and see until I'm completely finished with school.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 19,448 times
Baton Rouge is not perfect, but neither is any other city. There are cities that are better than Baton Rouge, and Baton Rouge is better than other cities. Nobody said that Baton Rouge was, or should be ranked the best city in the world. I guarantee there are people who left D.C., moving to cities similiar to, if not Baton Rouge, with the same opinions you have of BTR, about D.C.

I've been to various different cities, large, and small, and none are different than BTR, at least from my perspective. BTR is growing, and there are a lot more things to do in, and around BTR, than there used to be.

If I were to leave BTR, I would move to the beach, or to the mountains, not to a big city like D.C., or NYC, regardless of how close those cities may, or may not be to attractions such as the beach, or the mountains, or other large cities. I don't care for the big city type life. I would be much happier in a condo on the beach, or a cabin in the mountains. That is just me.

I respect your opinions, and reasons for leaving BTR; but that is you. Not everybody has the same perspective as you. I guarantee that you can find plenty of people who hate every city there is, just as you can find people who love every city there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge