Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 05:42 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
There you go trying to use logic versus trying to fabricate things to meet the message you're trying to preach or fight your trying to start.... Nice work Minivan.

I'm surprised Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are better than they are and and........ better than Atlanta.

I've driven in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. I've driven in every major metro in the country, save Minneapolis and Salt Lake City. No problem. Meanwhile, driving in Atlanta is like driving in a video game. The only thing missing is someone screaming at me in Japanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 06:27 AM

71 posts, read 65,309 times
Doesn't most of the population (drivers as well) don't even live in the City itself? that seems to suggest something

Old 03-19-2023, 07:42 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Brimingham has more violent crime than 99% of cities in the US and the vast majority of the world. Whether you personally feel safe there is subjective. Driving in Atlanta isn't that bad either. No worse than Boston. Haven't driven enough in Birmingham to compare

Old 03-21-2023, 05:21 AM

71 posts, read 65,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Brimingham has more violent crime than 99% of cities in the US and the vast majority of the world. Whether you personally feel safe there is subjective. Driving in Atlanta isn't that bad either. No worse than Boston. Haven't driven enough in Birmingham to compare

Atlanta is a racetrack which is fine, at least the get out of your way !, er, quickly. Birmingham's drivers won't, and 65 south and 280 doesn't help

Old 03-21-2023, 02:01 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach48urs View Post
Atlanta is a racetrack which is fine, at least the get out of your way !, er, quickly. Birmingham's drivers won't, and 65 south and 280 doesn't help
I've always considered Atlanta freeway drivers more consistent than those in Birmingham - much less lane changing for no reason, more consistent speeds, etc. while Birmingham drivers are just the opposite. Plus, I-65 south of downtown for a few miles is rough as a cob (but I understand that's going to be fixed in the not too distant future).

Old 03-21-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Just got an al.com bulletin on my phone that said B'ham police are on the site of the 4th murder in the past 36 hours. Presumably the town is OK for the most part, but a person might be wise to stay out of certain areas. You're not likely to get shot just driving through or attending an event at the civic center.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach48urs View Post
Doesn't most of the population (drivers as well) don't even live in the City itself? that seems to suggest something
That's the case in most sizable areas. Plus, there are many vehicles just passing through.

Old 03-21-2023, 10:00 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Just got an al.com bulletin on my phone that said B'ham police are on the site of the 4th murder in the past 36 hours. Presumably the town is OK for the most part, but a person might be wise to stay out of certain areas. You're not likely to get shot just driving through or attending an event at the civic center.
Here’s a running list of the murders in Birmingham. It includes addresses to help someone figure out where to “be wise to stay out of certain areas”. If there are more no-go areas than go areas, it’s time to move.

https://www.bhamwiki.com/w/List_of_B...icides_in_2023

Old 03-22-2023, 08:40 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
One important note in that list is that "a "homicide" refers to the cause of death as determined by a medical examiner, not to the commission of the crime of murder as charged by police and prosecutors."

Looks like 5 of the 22 are the result of "reckless driving", which I assume counts as a vehicular homicide.

Still too high overall, but a considerable improvement over last year. Hope that trend continues.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:00 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
One important note in that list is that "a "homicide" refers to the cause of death as determined by a medical examiner, not to the commission of the crime of murder as charged by police and prosecutors."

Looks like 5 of the 22 are the result of "reckless driving", which I assume counts as a vehicular homicide.

Still too high overall, but a considerable improvement over last year. Hope that trend continues.
If someone is evading police in a high speed pursuit and slams into a couple people killing them, then that may be death thru reckless driving or a homicide. Either way is due to criminal activity. If interested, more research would flush out the reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area