Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > Welcome To Case's Column
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Welcome To Case's Column

Let me say a big welcome to all of you for joining me here. I'm going to call these blog meetings Case's Column. I wanted to use "Corner", but that was already taken. Since 2008, it's been a real privilege to come on here and share some of my life with you, and it's a big world where we live.

In these blogs, I'll just speak whatever is on my mind, but we will be playing within the rules here. I may pick a particular topic, point out an event, or shoot the breeze. I'm a little bit of an essayist at times, so I'll just speak what's on my mind, and I might tell a story or two. Or, I might spew out an opinion or three. There will be some serious moments, some tender, some poignant, but there will also be those moments that you'll just bust out laughing. But, hopefully, everything will be in good fun here. And, of course, there's a place below for your comments and thoughts as we go along here. So feel free to join me for the ride -- I sure as heck hope I'm doing this right and not making any mistakes.

Thanks for taking your time in reading Case's Column. Hopefully, you'll enjoy being entertained by it as much as I've enjoyed putting these writings together. And thanks for the time you spend in City-Data.com, where it's great to be alive!

Regards,

case44

1. Old Comment

We Interrupt This Summer To Bring You....

And, of course, reality did set in again on Friday. 90 degrees at 6:40 pm CDT.
  2. Old Comment

Best Year For Band In Frisco? No Doubt It's This Year, Hands Down

Next year has finally arrived in Frisco. Was just at Independence earlier tonight. They'll have a more in-depth show than what they had last year, and they'll have seniors for the first time.

I'll be catching Wakeland, Reedy (first year and non-varsity), and Centennial in the coming weeks. It's a state year for the Frisco schools, so be on the lookout come UIL time. Wakeland and Liberty will both be sporting new uniforms this year, too.
  3. Old Comment

It's Your Birthday, America

Well, the displays are gone.
  4. Old Comment

I-69 Update: Houston Finally Clinched, And That's Huge

Update: I was just in Houston last week. Still no signage, roadside or overhead, yet on the inside-the-loop portion of U.S. 59 that's been converted. Could be a funding issue holding things up, but it takes time to get it all made. Plus, they'd have to close some lanes to get the signs in the downtown and Midtown areas put up.
  5. Old Comment

Are The Astros Ready For A Championship?

Oh, by the way, that prediction I made for this past Friday's game with Casester in the house? Astros won and I won.
  6. Old Comment

Are The Astros Ready For A Championship?

They've been losing on the road in recent weeks, but they're continuing to win at home. Houston's record at home is just barely the American League's best (40-19) after today's walk-off win over Detroit, 6-5.
  7. Old Comment

A Year From Now, This Writer Turns Fiddy - Hard To Believe

It's okay, really.

You've got eleven months to think it over....
  8. Old Comment

Scattershooting / Taking Advantage Of A Tax-Free Weekend

Belatedly, a Google search got me to identify the lady from Sabado Gigante who had my full attention earlier. She's former beauty queen Vanessa De Roide.

http://www.metro.pr/_internal/gxml!0/2qijkhn0ctpwx8acoz5fxkpvtmr4nbh$5h4udy4vu4tw50ajae cfqs3zxrngv6q/vanessa_de_roide.jpeg

http://corporate.univision.com/wp-co...de-roide-2.jpg
  9. Old Comment

Let's Just Fry An Egg In The Parking Lot

It finally reached 100 in San Antonio today, first time since last year. My guess is that the humidity and cloud cover prevented that from happening earlier. However, I think the heat index has been over 100 a lot of days this spring/summer.

It got to 100 in Lubbock for the first time in 2015 yesterday, around when the Tech football team held its first official practice. How's that for timing?

Finally, I spent a few days in eastern Nebraska in late July. The heat index there felt worse than SA at times. At one point it was difficult to breathe outside--the heat+humidity felt like the Gulf Coast without the breeze. It did rain, which brought relief, but not before severe thunderstorms brought hail, frequent lightning, and thunder that sounded like cannon fire. Good times.
  10. Old Comment

I'm Like, "Did I Post 32 Times On THAT Thread?"

I have you beat many times over in a thread that shall go unnamed, though I haven't posted on it since early April. You can probably guess which one. I'll probably add to it in a few weeks.
  11. Old Comment

Let's Just Fry An Egg In The Parking Lot

Now, if we do fry eggs outside, you may want to keep the cooking spray inside.....
  12. Old Comment

Cussing Is Everybody's Bleepin' Problem

Saw a billboard on the road going home from work, saying "It's @&%^#@ hot outside"....

Guess that was all the inspiration I needed.
  13. Old Comment

Scattershooting / The Fly That Wouldn't Go Away

The Fly, Part Deux

Just a few days ago, I got a new windshield for my car. And once that was installed, I had a fly take up residence inside my car for a few days.

Oh, he's gone now. Don't know how he'd stayed in it for so long.
  14. Old Comment

Looks Like Texas Is Finally Getting A Break From The Rain

Through the month of July and early August, go enjoy the pre-sunrise color changes before 6 a.m. in your area. They're worth viewing. What a great time of the year to enjoy a sunrise!
  15. Old Comment

It's Your Birthday, America: 2015 --- Happy 4th!

I had a good 4th myself. Hope you did. Keep praying for this country as we are under attack as never before from within. These are scary times.
  16. Old Comment

Ol' Phlash Knows How To Get Around

Thank you, Phlash, for the wealth of knowledge of geography of our great land that you share with the world. We need many more just like you!
  17. Old Comment

Flashing Yellow Arrow Goes All Over Texas Now

Yeah, rush hours at major intersections do need some attention from the green arrow for the protected left turn. Different places tend to time signals differently.
  18. Old Comment

Flashing Yellow Arrow Goes All Over Texas Now

It's a little depressing, though, when you want to get home and instead of a green arrow, you get the yellow one and have to wait for a few thousand or so cars to pass before it's safe to turn. That's if the light doesn't turn red again.
  19. Old Comment

Astros Radio Guys Have Improved Over Time

I'll need to give those guys a listen next chance I get.

Ever hear Mike Shannon and John Rooney on the Cards' network, Case? If you've got Sirius, then you can catch them on the home games. They're two of the best.
  20. Old Comment

It's Been A Bad News Week In Washington

It's pretty disturbing what the Supreme Court is turning into. Suddenly, it's like it's becoming judicial activism rather than just deciding and closing a case in a fair and unbiased manner. I hope this isn't the future of legislation.