Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 25,782 times

Advertisements

Cali2ID...dude, like you i'm outta' here. However "Warning Voice" posted a very good post about "escaping" from your current situation. I read it and it has made me think about ALL the stuff here in SoCal that I have taken for granted and that I might, just might, miss if I move. Anyway, just a thought.
BTW...to "melaguy": Dude the boredome line in your post was so funny. I about wet myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 10:47 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,676 times
Exclamation Re: Idahfornia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2ID
I hate to admit it because I am part of the problem, but Idaho's population will swell in the next 10 years due in part to the onslaught of Californian's like myself who want to get away from the crime,taxes,traffic,pollution, and high cost of living. I've been looking at Idaho for some time now and it appears that I'm not the only one. I'm almost thinking of NOT moving to Boise because of this disturbing trend. I want to move from California for reasons mentioned above, but it seems that if I were to move now I would only find myself in Boise complaining of the same stuff I am complaining about now. Maybe I should move to a small town in Montana...
Our whole nation has a population problem that most people won't address head-on. They complain about congestion, pollution and crime. They say folks are "moving" from one place to another and gentrifying small towns. But there are bigger factors that require a depth of understanding.

Immigration causes much of that growth (and white flight to Idaho) but many leaders are stuck on an economic-growth platform which demands more people and threatens the wilderness qualities of States like Idaho. We see this story repeated everywhere, yet Republicans keep voting down family planning aide while complaining about immigration pressure and demanding more workers for more production. Too many priorities are at odds.

The current system needs more people to expand each year, so why not question the very expansion itself? How about a way of life that doesn't steal from its own future? It's called a Steady State economy and we could make it work if people chose to.

http://www.census.gov/population/www/popclockus.html

According to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, the resident population of the United States, projected to 06/04/06 at 04:14 GMT (EST+5) is 298,894,183
  • One birth every.................................. 8 seconds
  • One death every.................................. 13 seconds
  • One international migrant (net) every............ 30 seconds
  • Net gain of one person every..................... 11 seconds

Old 06-27-2006, 04:51 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,542 times
If you do go to Idaho I would stay away from the Boise area as it is and has been growing fast along with all the things that come with it. Personal I feel Idaho has lost what it once was. Some will disagree of curse as there are areas like any were that seam to stand still a bit longer. Do your research and a lot of it then go and visit a few times. Best if you could each and every season to get a ball park feel at lest. Then put it all together and go from there. I do know some times depending on the field work can be harder to find in smaller areas. In upper Idaho it is almost like another world in ways. With a few close bigger cities but still I would always suggest at lest on two week visit in say like the winter if you do not like cold. Pick the time you think you would like the lest then go if its not that bad then you know you will like the rest go's for any were you would move no matter what state

Old 06-27-2006, 06:36 PM

41 posts, read 199,174 times
I agree. It's all a matter of what you're looking for, so you really do need to take the time and explore each region. There are advantages and disadvantages anywhere you go.

The smaller rural areas - yes, it's still like the '60's here, for the old hometown feel. That won't change until the employment situation changes here. If you're not independent, medical, education, or agriculture, it's pretty hard to get a start.

like Huntman said: "Pick the time you think you would like the least then go; if its not that bad then you know you will like the rest" That is SO true. I remember when I got married, I'd visited his home (not in Idaho then) in summer & thought it was so sweet, but when I lived there, winter was TOO long and TOO cold:-)

Old 07-24-2006, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,062 times
Red face Shoshone, Benewah, and Latah county ??

Quote:
I hate to admit it because I am part of the problem, but Idaho's population will swell in the next 10 years due in part to the onslaught of Californian's like myself who want to get away from the crime,taxes,traffic,pollution, and high cost of living. I've been looking at Idaho for some time now and it appears that I'm not the only one. I'm almost thinking of NOT moving to Boise because of this disturbing trend. I want to move from California for reasons mentioned above, but it seems that if I were to move now I would only find myself in Boise complaining of the same stuff I am complaining about now. Maybe I should move to a small town in Montana...
Have you looked at the area south of Coeur d'Alene?

Old 07-25-2006, 07:49 PM

106 posts, read 583,205 times
Quote:

Onslaught of Californians?
How is it possible for so many Californians to be leaving the state and yet it is still the fastest growing state in the country? I'm not talking percentage here, I'm talking about growth period. California grew by nearly 3 million in the past 10 years. Only Texas came close. In the next 10 years, it's projected to grow by 7 million. No other state is projected to even come close.

So are people moving out as fast as they are moving in? Not likely. It just doesn't make sense. There is no logic in such a statement. Clearly, people are moving *TO* California--not out.

You also can't single out Idaho. Every state exhibited growth in the last 10 years. Immigration out of control perhaps? It's certainly not the birth rate.

So get it out of your heads. Californians are not the root of all evil in Idaho!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:08 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeye

Onslaught of Californians?
How is it possible for so many Californians to be leaving the state and yet it is still the fastest growing state in the country? I'm not talking percentage here, I'm talking about growth period. California grew by nearly 3 million in the past 10 years. Only Texas came close. In the next 10 years, it's projected to grow by 7 million. No other state is projected to even come close.

So are people moving out as fast as they are moving in? Not likely. It just doesn't make sense. There is no logic in such a statement. Clearly, people are moving *TO* California--not out.

You also can't single out Idaho. Every state exhibited growth in the last 10 years. Immigration out of control perhaps? It's certainly not the birth rate.

So get it out of your heads. Californians are not the root of all evil in Idaho!
Take a look at this:
CALIFORNIA
More people now departing state than moving here
Population trend reversing course for 1st time since '98
Cicero A. Estrella, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, March 3, 2006

view chart

Printable Version
Email This Article

For the first time since 1998, the people who relocated from California to other states outnumbered those who migrated in from other states, according to a report released by the state's Department of Finance on Thursday.

California, which had a population of more than 37 million in 2005, had a net loss of 28,565 people to other states during the fiscal year that ended July 1, according to report estimates.

A department analyst said the loss can't be blamed on a mass exodus similar to one that the state experienced before the dot-com boom of the late 1990s.

Howard Roth, chief economist with the department, said California's housing costs discourage people from other states from moving here.

"The outflow hasn't changed much, but fewer people are coming here," Roth said. "Houses were already unaffordable, but they've become more so in the last two years. It's discouraging people from taking job offers in California."

Old 07-25-2006, 09:07 PM

106 posts, read 583,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94
"The outflow hasn't changed much, but fewer people are coming here," Roth said. "Houses were already unaffordable, but they've become more so in the last two years. It's discouraging people from taking job offers in California."
Sorry don't believe it. It makes no sense. California can't be growing by millions and have people leaving the state. Think about it for a second. Millions coming in, millions going out??? Not possible. The net flow is *INTO* the state, not out.

The census department predicts that the state will grow by 7 million in the next 10 years--no state even comes close. Maybe the article states a very small short term fluctuation in the growth pattern.

Sorry, but no matter what you throw out, it will not change the facts. Californians are not overthrowing Idaho. Give me a break.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:34 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeye
Sorry don't believe it. It makes no sense. California can't be growing by millions and have people leaving the state. Think about it for a second. Millions coming in, millions going out??? Not possible. The net flow is *INTO* the state, not out.

The census department predicts that the state will grow by 7 million in the next 10 years--no state even comes close. Maybe the article states a very small short term fluctuation in the growth pattern.

Sorry, but no matter what you throw out, it will not change the facts. Californians are not overthrowing Idaho. Give me a break.
Never said they were overthrowing Idaho....I don't live there by the way. I'm from San Diego...moved to Texas. More people are leaving than moving in. It's a fact!! Look up recent data. Check out uhaul .com...it costs more to leave Cali than to move in because leaving is in demand. Also more and more companies are leaving California because they can't recruit people to the state due to costs. There are reasons this will continue.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:23 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,542 times
More are moving out then in if you only look at people legally in calif. Then it is true but add the illegal to the mix and now you have more coming in then out same with Texas I bet or any boarder state. But I also know that people from calif are not the whole problem but a lot of it is the state it's self not keeping up with the times and yet begging people from out of state to move there. they make it look so so good tell you live there then you see the real facts and some move right back out later .I know of a few that came from the mid west and moved out of Idaho a few years later they could not make it with the house cost and all . Yes by New York and calif areas housing is cheep but to any one not from the west or east cost it is out of line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area