Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 12:34 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Listening to "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich," by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. According to the Forward, this is a new translation that includes portions removed by Soviet censorship. So far, fairly bleak.
I'll have to look for this new translation! I think Ivan is a really good "beginner" book for the topic...after reading Solzhenitsen's other stuff, it is fairly lite reading.

I haven't read anything great lately....I had to read an Agatha Christie (sorry, I am not a fan) for Book Club, and another book that was pretty good, but took me more than a week to get into for my other Book Club -My Name is Mary Sutter.

My exception is Sons, by Pearl S Buck. I knew for years there was a follow up to TheGood Earth (which is on my Reqired Reading list) (& I think there's a third as well), but never remembered to look for it. It is wonderful, I'm almost half way through. And I might have to read The Good Earth again. I hope I didn't give it away!

I need a book for Book Club next month. I'm contemplating Mutant Message Down Under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I'll have to look for this new translation! I think Ivan is a really good "beginner" book for the topic...after reading Solzhenitsen's other stuff, it is fairly lite reading.

I haven't read anything great lately....I had to read an Agatha Christie (sorry, I am not a fan) for Book Club, and another book that was pretty good, but took me more than a week to get into for my other Book Club -My Name is Mary Sutter.

My exception is Sons, by Pearl S Buck. I knew for years there was a follow up to TheGood Earth (which is on my Reqired Reading list) (& I think there's a third as well), but never remembered to look for it. It is wonderful, I'm almost half way through. And I might have to read The Good Earth again. I hope I didn't give it away!

I need a book for Book Club next month. I'm contemplating Mutant Message Down Under.
Lola! It's been ages. Nice to see you.

First, thanks for the tip on Solzhenitsen's work. In my late teens I loved the tomes of Russian authors, but now -- time will tell.

Second, you NEVER have to apologize for your reading preferences.

Third, I loved "The Good Earth" decades ago, and have always promised myself I would read more of her work but somehow never have. I'll add "Sons" to my Want to Read. Thanks, again.

Finally, Your reference to "Mutant Message Down Under" wriggles a noodle in my brain that I've read it, and Goodreads synopis looks really familiar, but I don't know. If I did it was back in the 90s.

How great to wake in the morning to a familiar but long-absent face, but to receive the gift of two more titles to add to my horde. Muchas Gracias!

Old 11-10-2013, 06:25 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
I'm about a quarter of the way into Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter but it's so intense that I needed to take a break. So I started reading Stoner by John Williams, which is the polar opposite.

I have Mystic River in the queue and at this rate, it could be Christmas before I get to it.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:55 AM

955 posts, read 744,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The Abominable has the slowest first 120 pages I have ever read. I'm still soldiering on but not enjoying it much so far.
I.ve been looking forward to this book, hope it gets better.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:57 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green yesterday. I don't know how to express my feeling about it. I'll simply say that it is a wonderful book and well worth reading. It's lovely but very sad.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:01 AM

30,498 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Simple Dreams-Linda Ronstadt

about half way through and enjoying it a lot. wish it was longer.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Starting a free book series I picked up on Kindle, Dark Grid. I am a sucker for Doomsday books.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:05 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I have the book theif on hold at the library I hope it is a good one anyone read it ? I am also reading another book called vegan for her . I want to eat cleaner so I have started reading everything I can get my hands on concerning the subject of vegan cooking and food .

Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green yesterday. I don't know how to express my feeling about it. I'll simply say that it is a wonderful book and well worth reading. It's lovely but very sad.
I loved that book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have the book theif on hold at the library I hope it is a good one anyone read it ? I am also reading another book called vegan for her . I want to eat cleaner so I have started reading everything I can get my hands on concerning the subject of vegan cooking and food .
I want to read the Book Thief too but haven't had a chance.

I'll confess that I just discovered author Blake Crouch on Kindle and am loving his books! I read the Pines series and am in the middle of Abandon. Love it.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Starting a free book series I picked up on Kindle, Dark Grid. I am a sucker for Doomsday books.

I'm a sucker for them, too. I highly recommend Cheryl Cholley's Survivalist by Circumstance series on kindle. I love the series and I bet you will, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books