Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 01:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing from you Ocean at the End of the Lane readers. As I mentioned, I felt like there were meanings in some of the characters and events that my book club friends didn't see/agree about. Please let me know when you are done and ready to chat. In order not to spoil it for the on-going readers, maybe I should start a new thread...
I just read it a couple of months ago but I feel like I need a refresher read to be able to have a chat about it, but based on my memory, I would agree that there was more to it than just the obvious. I enjoyed the book as well. I think Mr. Gaiman is a very unique and talented author.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 02:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
The Transcriptionist by Amy Rowland. I just started it but I'm liking it very much. Her writing is clean.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:14 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I am reading Ulysses -- James Joyce and it is such a struggle. I have a friend who is a Joyce scholar and I feel I MUST understand why he and the literary world love it so much! Oy vey!
I couldn't get through it the last time I tried to read it. I tried several times to complete it over the years and, truth be told, I think I wanted to finish it just to be able to say that I read it. I even have a copy of it in my bookcase and I can't seem to bring myself to pass it along to another reader.

There is a possibility that I am haunted by Leopold Bloom.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:43 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,846 times
im reading "random family" now. I want to read the "husband's secret next".

Old 06-28-2014, 09:38 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,286 times
I'm reading Letters to Jenny, after just finishing The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. 'Letters' is a great sequel to the Time & Unforeseen Occurrence series by Jesse Leigh Brackstone. Highly recommend it.

Mahrie.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I am reading Ulysses -- James Joyce and it is such a struggle. I have a friend who is a Joyce scholar and I feel I MUST understand why he and the literary world love it so much! Oy vey!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I couldn't get through it the last time I tried to read it. I tried several times to complete it over the years and, truth be told, I think I wanted to finish it just to be able to say that I read it. I even have a copy of it in my bookcase and I can't seem to bring myself to pass it along to another reader.

There is a possibility that I am haunted by Leopold Bloom.
I had the annotated hard copy for years, and in '08 when we were preparing for our trip (belongs went to RV, eBay, Craigslist, or Goodwill) it got flushed. Even with the notes of explanation I couldn't wade that deep. Perhaps the notes added to the barrier rather than helped.

Several months ago I came across it in audio and thought it would be better. I found my mind was constantly drifting away from it -- mid sentence. For me, Joyce falls into the same category as Faulkner -- better in concept than in reality.

I am listening to Jo Nesbo's "The Snowman" and even though the book opens with the death of wives while their husbands were away (and my DH is away for a long weekend), I could not stop listening. (Sleeping, that stopped, but not listening!) I'm well advanced into it and along with Harry Hole, I still do not know which is the murderer.

I like Nesbo much like I liked Larsson, and am glad that -- so far, Nesbo hasn't met with any health catastrophes. I pray for a long life. His works are not quite so graphic as Larsson's, but a few of his scenes involving Harry's fall from the "wagon" are pretty sad. Mostly, the weakness just makes him more human. In character, to me he's like a Norwegian Charlie Moon.

The library made Brian Doye's "The Plover" available. I reserved it after reading a review from my favorite bookstore raving about his prose. Frankly, he's not as thick as Joyce or Faulkner, but his sentences meander along their paths with so many convolutions that I keep getting tossed into the water. (The Plover is a boat.) I endeavor to persevere, in hopes that once I get my sea legs I will stay on board.

Happy Sunday to one and all!

Old 06-29-2014, 04:07 PM

As I mentioned, I was reading The Transcriptionist, emphasis on "was." I got about 38% in and it just got weird, so I gave up. Before you ask what I mean by "weird," let me say that I don't really know. The protagonist is a consummate loner (which is fine), the book is a "quiet" story (which I typically like), but her interactions and her thoughts -- mostly her thoughts -- made it all... just weird for me.

Then I started Replay by Ken Grimwood. Now, THAT's weird. Sci-fi weird. And I don't read sci-fi, so I didn't even get to the second chapter before giving up. Yes, I knew what it was about before I started. Yes, I knew that it was sci-fi. Don't ask me why I even started it. I have no idea.

I don't know what to start now. I'm afraid of starting another book that I won't finish for whatever X, Y, Z reason. Maybe I'll watch TV instead.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:54 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing from you Ocean at the End of the Lane readers. As I mentioned, I felt like there were meanings in some of the characters and events that my book club friends didn't see/agree about. Please let me know when you are done and ready to chat. In order not to spoil it for the on-going readers, maybe I should start a new thread...

I just finished it today and I'm not sure what I think about it. Maybe I am too literal. Yes please start a new thread so I can read what others thought I did like Lettie and her family.

Next up…. Dark Road Home by Karen Harper. It's a mystery set in an Amish community.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:00 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
I have finished 3 books this week.

1) The Husband's Secret....I really enjoyed it once the plot thickened

2) Mr Mercedes...Steven King's new one. No horror, just a darned good detective novel.

3) Still Life with Breadcrumbs..Anna Quindlen's newest one. I liked it but it sort of wore me out. A whole lot of self examination.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:24 PM

Oy. These are hard times for me when it comes to books.

After failing miserably at The Transcriptionist and even more miserably at Replay (see my previous post from earlier today), I tried to read The Husband's Secret. Just like I don't read sci-fi, I don't read chick-lit. I made it to the middle of the second chapter and had to have a piece of cake for the strength to delete it from my Kindle.

I just started Defending Jacob. Yes, very late to that party, and we'll see if I want to stay. Again, not my typical go-to type of book. Wish me luck...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books