Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I got to 60% of People Who Eat Darkness and I just had to stop. It was just too awful of a story. I don't deal well with that sort of thing and it's a wonder that I got 60% into the book, except that that's where the explanation of the violations started and I just started feeling too sick to read on.

I'm going to start a Kindle Daily Deal that I got a week or so ago: Night Swim by Jessica Keener.
I read what that was about and decided it wasn't for me.

I'm enjoying The Professor and the Madman, about the writing of the Oxford English Dictionary. Sounds boring, I know, but so far it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Well, I finished Debbie MacComber's "The Shop on Blossom Street" and decided that was sufficient fluff for my lifetime. I think I am just not a romance reader. I just cannot suspend my belief enough to think all the problems of a story are going to work out the way the characters would like. Life just has too many loose ends to have all of them so neatly wrapped up like that.

That's it for my recreational reading, until I see how the coming quarter's classes treat me. Honestly, I am stressing about facing three classes, when last quarter's two nearly did me in!

I AM STILL working on Chogyam Trungpa's "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism." It is so pithy. I read half a page and then have to just think about it for awhile. The guy really was in touch with spiritual enlightenment and doesn't put any fluff into his work.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:18 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I did decide to start The Sea by John Banville. It's a quiet story about a man who recently lost his wife and he returns to the seaside where he spent his childhood summers. It's a short little book, but I know that I'll read it slowly -- it's so beautifully written, I want to savor every word. Although the reviews are mixed, it won the Booker Prize.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
I did decide to start The Sea by John Banville. It's a quiet story about a man who recently lost his wife and he returns to the seaside where he spent his childhood summers. It's a short little book, but I know that I'll read it slowly -- it's so beautifully written, I want to savor every word. Although the reviews are mixed, it won the Booker Prize.
I think it's time for you to re-read The Book Thief.

I'm not getting very far in Any Bitter Thing but not for want. I've been fighting a cold/flu and we have a new puppy at the house to occupy my time. Really makes me wish I had a Kindle already.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I think it's time for you to re-read The Book Thief.

I'm not getting very far in Any Bitter Thing but not for want. I've been fighting a cold/flu and we have a new puppy at the house to occupy my time. Really makes me wish I had a Kindle already.
You're right! I really should re-read it. But I have so many unread books still to peruse. Oh! Speaking of re-reading, remember I told you that I should probably read Still Alice again, but that I no longer have my copy but have been looking in thrift shops whenever I'm in one? Well, a friend of mine works at a big-name publishing house in NYC and I realized that it's one of their books... so she sent me a copy. But, again, with all my unread books, I've not re-read it. But my husband is reading it for the first time.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the quiet writing in The Sea. It's a sad story, but the telling of it is quite beautiful.

Also:

1. Cold/flu? Feh! Make that stop! Get better quick, OK?
2. Yes, you need a Kindle. Yes, I said "need."
3. More photos of the new puppy are always welcome, by the way.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
..Really makes me wish I had a Kindle already.
Quote:
Yes, UpThere, she convinced me... and I am now HOOKED. The first thing I do now when I check out a title is go to the Kindle library section to see if it's available!

Old 09-20-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
You're right! I really should re-read it. But I have so many unread books still to peruse. Oh! Speaking of re-reading, remember I told you that I should probably read Still Alice again, but that I no longer have my copy but have been looking in thrift shops whenever I'm in one? Well, a friend of mine works at a big-name publishing house in NYC and I realized that it's one of their books... so she sent me a copy. But, again, with all my unread books, I've not re-read it. But my husband is reading it for the first time.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the quiet writing in The Sea. It's a sad story, but the telling of it is quite beautiful.

Also:

1. Cold/flu? Feh! Make that stop! Get better quick, OK?
3. More photos of the new puppy are always welcome, by the way.
I have a ton of unread books but part of me wants to pick The Book Thief and re-read it already.

1. I am better today than I was yesterday so I'm thinking it'll be quick.
2. I do "need" a Kindle. I got a smart phone and I did read Ella Minnow Pea on it, but I still need a Kindle.
3. I'll send more soon!

Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yes, UpThere, she convinced me... and I am now HOOKED. The first thing I do now when I check out a title is go to the Kindle library section to see if it's available!
Reading people's comments on here has convinced me I need one too - especially Dawn's.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 PM

For Jeremy's last birthday, I bought him stock in Zynga (the makers of Words With Friends). This stock has since tanked to the point where we probably owe THEM money! Ha!

I should have bought him stock in Amazon instead.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM

191 posts, read 163,598 times
I finished reading The Secret Life of Bees.
I'm currently reading A Lady Like Sarah and The Help.
Later I will read The Things That Keep Us Here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books