Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

Okay guys had to come back and say that book "The street sweeper " was just awful and had to finally put it down could not bring myself to finish it . Have you ever read a book that had chapters in it and you were asking yourself what has that chapter got to do with anything ? Well I guess that would describe this book I made it to the fifth chapter and gave up it did not hold my interest . I am really looking forward to reading the violets of March i hope it is a better read , also looking forward to the reading of the lincoln assasination by bill o'reiley . I have that on hold from the library cant wait to read that . I think i have put more books down this month than i have read which is very rare for me since I usually read whatever I can get my hands on . Oh well happy reading everyone .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,901 times
Dear Success Seekers

Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished Come, Thou Tortoise and I have never met such a delightful assortments of characters, human and animal.

It is just beautifully written in such an unusual style. I couldn't put it down. I love this book.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Okay guys had to come back and say that book "The street sweeper " was just awful and had to finally put it down could not bring myself to finish it . Have you ever read a book that had chapters in it and you were asking yourself what has that chapter got to do with anything ? Well I guess that would describe this book I made it to the fifth chapter and gave up it did not hold my interest . I am really looking forward to reading the violets of March i hope it is a better read , also looking forward to the reading of the lincoln assasination by bill o'reiley . I have that on hold from the library cant wait to read that . I think i have put more books down this month than i have read which is very rare for me since I usually read whatever I can get my hands on . Oh well happy reading everyone .
Oh man, I am so sorry to hear this about The Street Sweeper. It's next up on my Kindle. It's either that one or The Cell which is about zombies in a prison. ahahahahha. I'm not kidding. I think I will give The Street Sweeper a go and if I feel the same way you do about it then I will toss it into the cell and let the zombies at it.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,564 times
The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King

The Walking Dead Condendum One

Freedom by Jonathon Franzen

Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM

531 posts, read 501,384 times
The Hot Rock, by Donald E. Westlake

Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Scanning through Amazon -- my favorite pastime! -- I came across a book called Stoner by John Williams. Written in 1965, it has nothing to do with drugs (as you might think) and was described in a New York Times book review as such: "John Williams's Stoner is something rarer than a great novel - it is a perfect novel, so well told and beautifully written, so deeply moving, that it takes your breath away."

I'm intrigued. I previewed the first few pages. It's a "quiet" book. I'm very intrigued. I think that I'm going to buy it on my Kindle.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:17 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Scanning through Amazon -- my favorite pastime! -- I came across a book called Stoner by John Williams. Written in 1965, it has nothing to do with drugs (as you might think) and was described in a New York Times book review as such: "John Williams's Stoner is something rarer than a great novel - it is a perfect novel, so well told and beautifully written, so deeply moving, that it takes your breath away."

I'm intrigued. I previewed the first few pages. It's a "quiet" book. I'm very intrigued. I think that I'm going to buy it on my Kindle.
That's my favorite pastime also!

I'm reading Confession of a Carb Queen, a memoir, and She Got up off the Couch by the girl called Zippy, (Can't think of her real name, and I'm in a hurry) who wrote an excellent memoir quite a while ago, called Zippy. This is a memoir about when she was older.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
That's my favorite pastime also!

I'm reading Confession of a Carb Queen, a memoir, and She Got up off the Couch by the girl called Zippy, (Can't think of her real name, and I'm in a hurry) who wrote an excellent memoir quite a while ago, called Zippy. This is a memoir about when she was older.
I read that Zippy book (the first one) a couple of years ago. I don't remember it at all -- such a perk of turning 47!

Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

I just downloaded it to Boris the Kindle. I'm in the mood for a quiet book and this one sounds perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books