Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times

Advertisements

I just started The Bean Trees by Kingsolver. Thank you, LFM.

I loved The Poisonwood Bible. Didn't care at all for The Lacuna and fell in love with Animal Dreams.

I am barely into The Bean Trees and I'm enjoying it so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Don't forget to read Pigs in Heaven after The Bean Trees.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM

30 posts, read 39,674 times
Default Now I am reading...

Now I am reading the Matched Trilogy! It is very interesting idea, it is a dystopian world book. Where The Society promises you health and happiness. They find your best match, your job , and where you live and die. Cassie, a teenage girl, has her Match banquet on her seventeenth birthday. Lucky for her, she doesn't have to learn everything about her match because her match is her close friend,Xander. Even though Cassie knows everything about Xander, Cassie decides to view the microchip that tells her about her match. When she views the microchip,a picture of a guy,Ky Markham, that she also knows flashes and disappears. This causes her to question if Xander is really meant to be her match and if The Society makes mistakes.

I finished Matched and now I am on the second book of the trilogy called Crossed, Reached is the 3rd book in the trilogy. I am enjoying every little bit of this trilogy so far.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post
Now I am reading the Matched Trilogy! It is very interesting idea, it is a dystopian world book. Where The Society promises you health and happiness. They find your best match, your job , and where you live and die. Cassie, a teenage girl, has her Match banquet on her seventeenth birthday. Lucky for her, she doesn't have to learn everything about her match because her match is her close friend,Xander. Even though Cassie knows everything about Xander, Cassie decides to view the microchip that tells her about her match. When she views the microchip,a picture of a guy,Ky Markham, that she also knows flashes and disappears. This causes her to question if Xander is really meant to be her match and if The Society makes mistakes.

I finished Matched and now I am on the second book of the trilogy called Crossed, Reached is the 3rd book in the trilogy. I am enjoying every little bit of this trilogy so far.
I read about half of the first one. It was several months ago and I don't know why I quit. I'll give it another try. Thanks for mentioning it.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM

30 posts, read 39,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I read about half of the first one. It was several months ago and I don't know why I quit. I'll give it another try. Thanks for mentioning it.
Glad to hear you are picking it back up. I really Liked Matched and I am so far loving the second book Crossed. The whole concept of a society that make every decision for you and wants to know every detail about your life and the love of the data is really perplexing to me.

Right now I wish i didn't have to work so I could read, LOL my friends have said that i am in another one of my readinig frenzies. I need more books.

Let me know what you think!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Sigh...

Funny in Farsi is written in vignettes. It's not a cohesive memoir. She's a clever writer, though, so I'll likely finish it.
That book cracked me up! And the author is an alum of my dorm, she is a good speaker as well.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
I just started Suspect by Robert Crais. So far I am really enjoying it. Robert Crais is one of my go to authors. His usual books and characters are similar to the Jack Reacher books. This one is different but very good about a K-9 dog who lost her partner through a tragic event and has a new partner who also lost his old partner. They help each other heal while solving a case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Get OUT! I can't believe that I never asked you what your screen name meant. Or maybe I just assumed that it meant "sweetest lady who reads a heck of a lot."
Kiss up

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella. Total chick book, but I needed a light read after the Holocaust novel I just finished.
Sometimes we just need cheesy books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
And I am planning to read more by Sophie Kinsella, I did read the first one Confessions of a Shopaholic and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great meaningful literature it is not, but we sure do need some pleasant happy mindless stuff every once in a while. (and after a holocaust novel it's just the right remedy).
I love an easy read but I can't do those shopaholic books. I hate shopping so I need different light books

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I must say I also thought that it was a real name like a last name . LOL ....well now onto the books the lost art of mixing and the bookstore of big little gap were awful . I loved ericas first book the school of essential ingredients but this one frankly it stank and so did the bookstore of big gap by wendy welch ...nope dont bother guys .
Now I'm disappointed. I just ordered that from my library. What was wrong with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Just finished Kingsolver's "The Bean Trees." I can honestly say it is one of the first that I couldn't not read in a very long time. I was totally immersed in the story and its characters. Now I want to read more of her works.
Added to my list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post

Thank you. Those sound interesting. It kind of reminds me of the Delirium series which I really liked...at least the first one. I haven't read the next ones yet.
Delirium: Lauren Oliver: 9780061726835: Amazon.com: Books

Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 AM

I'm listening to Son by Lois Lowry. I am just loving the whole Giver Quartet. I own the first book in paperback, but I'm thinking eventually I may have to buy the whole series for my kids to read too. I'm listening to this one because 1) the ebook is not available at my library and I was too impatient to request they get it, 2) I didn't bother to look to see if there are any hard copies available at the library and 3) I'm too lazy to go to the library to get it if they have it and probably won't go until the hard copy of Beguiled by Deeanne Gist and some guy (cowritten) is read. Hopefully after Son I actually read Beguiled since it's due soon.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I'm listening to Son by Lois Lowry. I am just loving the whole Giver Quartet. I own the first book in paperback, but I'm thinking eventually I may have to buy the whole series for my kids to read too. I'm listening to this one because 1) the ebook is not available at my library and I was too impatient to request they get it, 2) I didn't bother to look to see if there are any hard copies available at the library and 3) I'm too lazy to go to the library to get it if they have it and probably won't go until the hard copy of Beguiled by Deeanne Gist and some guy (cowritten) is read. Hopefully after Son I actually read Beguiled since it's due soon.
I just finished Son and now have my husband reading. Just love love those books! Of course Giver is the best. Did you know they're making a movie of the Giver.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I just finished Son and now have my husband reading. Just love love those books! Of course Giver is the best. Did you know they're making a movie of the Giver.
No, I did not know that. I'm unsure how I feel about it. Sort of like there is no way they can even come close to making a movie as good as the book. Hmmmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books