Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Atonement by Greene? That is a great, great book.

Stupid iPad. I'm too lazy to go and get my laptop. Forgive typos. If we're talking about the book by Greene, it is a book about an affair, with spiritual undertones. It is not religiously off-putting, so I don't think you should mind it, Dawn. But it is just a great book. I read it back in 1997. I don't want to give away too much of the plot. But essentially it is a out an affair without being a black and white book, that explores motivations and how people find themselves in things.

It is not meant to be a religiously moralizing book, but one of the characters is religious. Once I started it I couldn't sop reading until I was done. Just a wonderful character study, with beautifully expressed ambiguity.
Oh. I just assumed it was Atonement by Ian McEwan. Hmmmm.

ETA: Just checked the list. It's the one that I thought: http://entertainment.time.com/2005/1...by-ian-mcewan/

Last edited by DawnMTL; 07-23-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

ETA: Just checked the list. It's the one that I thought: Atonement (2002), by Ian McEwan | All-TIME 100 Novels | TIME.com

Well, slap me with a wet noodle. I was thinking of The End of the Affair by Graham Greene. An excellent book. I do have Atonement by McEwan as well but I haven't read it yet. I think Atonement is about an affair too, and I got the two confused for some reason known only to someone who isn't me.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
... I got the two confused for some reason known only to someone who isn't me.
I loved that!

I started listening to "Started Early, Took My Dog" by Kate Atkinson while driving today, and I loved the way the author conveys her thoughts about life in general through humorous asides. Reminds me of reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I don't know how I will feel about it by the end, but at this point I've already placed a reserve on Overdrive downloads of her earlier works.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I started reading Shirley Jones' autobiography which is cleverly titled Shirley Jones.

I like Hollywood bios. I've known since her marriage to Jack Cassidy that she could be very strong and firm. I'm finding out just how true that is.

The book is extremely well written (a writer helped her and gets credit on the cover, too). It is also a fast read and I have yet to encounter any pretentiousness (did I spell that correctly-too lazy to look it up).

Feeling like I have curled up on a sofa with a cup of hot tea is how this book allows me to feel. (ya' know what? I think that long sentence may not be grammatically correct.) It's just a chat session with Shirley, unadorned and right to the heart of things. In other words, I am settled in with this book. It's a good one.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I just watched that movie on Netflix (really enjoyed it) and am curious about the books. Please report back if you like either of them.
I will ask my librarian on Friday if she can order it.

I just finished Shiver by Karen Robards. I thought it was boring.

For my treadmill reading I started Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World. I've been told to get my tissues out.

Last night I started Gathering Blue...the third book in the Giver series.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:55 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just perused the Time's 100 best books list that was in another thread and have decided that Atonement will be my next book. Has anyone read it? Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

ETA: Just checked the list. It's the one that I thought: Atonement (2002), by Ian McEwan | All-TIME 100 Novels | TIME.com
Quote:
Well, slap me with a wet noodle. I was thinking of The End of the Affair by Graham Greene. An excellent book. I do have Atonement by McEwan as well but I haven't read it yet. I think Atonement is about an affair too, and I got the two confused for some reason known only to someone who isn't me.
I started Atonement once but didn't get very far. Can't exactly remember why I didn't like it though.

(Yes, I do recognize that this may be one of the most useless comments ever posted in this thread.)

Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
(Yes, I do recognize that this may be one of the most useless comments ever posted in this thread.)
When discussing books, there is no such thing as a useless comment.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Quote:
I started Atonement once but didn't get very far. Can't exactly remember why I didn't like it though.

I thought the movie was very disturbing, really rubbed me the wrong way and made me angry. I have not read the book but wondered if it would have the same effect on me.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
I've just finished "Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Reilly. An excellent read (especially interesting is the stuff about Marilyn Monroe).

Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
When discussing books, there is no such thing as a useless comment.
All contributions contribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I thought the movie was very disturbing, really rubbed me the wrong way and made me angry. I have not read the book but wondered if it would have the same effect on me.
NOW, I am intrigued -- just to see if it does the same to me.... hmmm, wonder if the library...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books