Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:00 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading everything by Harlan Coben, whom I enjoyed enormously. I grew up in New Jersey, and enjoy reading about it as a setting. I've also read a new series by Brad Parks that takes place in a Newark newspaper. My other favorite writers are Michael Connelly, George Pelecanos, and Jonathan and Faye Kellerman, whose stories take place in Los Angeles. I've lived in Seattle, Portland, Pittsburgh, and New York as well. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a series I might read next?

I did not like Jack Reacher, nor any kind of militia/terrorism or dystopian future novels. Just mystery series. Thanks.

Last edited by jay5835; 12-31-2014 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 06:08 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
Several authors come to mind -

David Rosenfelt, with stories set in Trenton, NJ. They feature an attorney and also Golden Retrievers.

Another author is J. A. Jance who has two series of books. One features a female sheriff in AZ and the other a detective in Seattle.

Nevada Barr writes about a female park ranger who is stationed in various parks around the country.

Stephen Whites stories are set in Boulder, CO and feature a psychologist and his ADA wife.

John Lescroart has lots of books set in SF with an attorney, a detective, etc.

In all of these books the same characters appear and they often span many years of the characters lives so it might be best to read them in order if you can.

I hope you find lots of new stuff that you like and that others with chime in with additional suggestions.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:10 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,221,428 times
Robert Crais' Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series comes to mind.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:14 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,442 times
I like Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series. Greg Iles is another good author, although I don't think his are technically a series, although some might be actually.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:36 PM

995 posts, read 1,116,144 times
Kathleen George writes mysteries based in Pittsburgh...if yinz need a fix of the 'burgh...

If you read and liked the late Stieg Larsson's Millenium trilogy (a 4th one is being written for release in 2015), my husband recommends Jo Nesbo, Arnaldur Indridason, Lars Kepler, and a lot of other Scandinavian authors he's found. Let me know if you want a complete list lol.

William Lashner, who is very much like Grisham. Stephen White is very much like Kellerman.

Tim Dorsey, who writes about insanely funny people in Florida...emphasis on insane. His Serge Storm is a psychopathic serial killer who is...well...nuts, but funny.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:51 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,442 times
I have not read any so I don't know if they would fit your criteria, but I have a friend who likes William Kent Krueger.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:22 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Robert Crais' Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series comes to mind.

Love those but the OP might not if he doesn't care for Jack Reacher.

You can also look into:
Linwood Barclay
Stephen White
Brian Freeman
Joy Fielding

Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 PM

995 posts, read 1,116,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Love those {speaking of Robert Crais} but the OP might not if he doesn't care for Jack Reacher.
OP said he didn't like Lee Child "...I did not like Jack Reacher, nor any kind of militia/terrorism..."

Robert Crais is straight mystery/suspense. His Elvis Cole is a private investigator. Joe Pike is ex-military/cop, but there's nothing like a Reacher scenario (saving the country or whatever small town he happens to be passing thru) in their cases IMO.
Lee Child is a different sort of writer and I've enjoyed all the Jack Reacher books as adventure/suspense.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:06 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
Thought of a couple more authors, both British

Reginald Hill - several books about a detective and his assistant Dalziel and Pascoe

Susan Hill - features a detective named Simon Serrailler

and one American author Aaron Elkins - some of his are about a forensic anthropologist Gideon Oliver

Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
OP said he didn't like Lee Child "...I did not like Jack Reacher, nor any kind of militia/terrorism..."

Robert Crais is straight mystery/suspense. His Elvis Cole is a private investigator. Joe Pike is ex-military/cop, but there's nothing like a Reacher scenario (saving the country or whatever small town he happens to be passing thru) in their cases IMO.
Lee Child is a different sort of writer and I've enjoyed all the Jack Reacher books as adventure/suspense.

True…it's just that Joe Pike and Jack Reacher are similar characters as far as mysterious and quiet. I love them both but prefer the Robert Crais books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books