Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:05 PM

91 posts, read 189,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post

I agree. Today is truly unbearable.
Oooo, nice picture! I'm seeing walking the doggie, a nice picnic lunch, some light shopping. Yeah, sounds awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:24 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
The funny thing is that last year we had the best spring-summer-fall in history. How soon we forget.
BTW S.A.D. is an individual affliction, I never get depressed in winter, we have many sunny days in Jan and Feb.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:35 PM

26 posts, read 57,601 times
The full spectrum light bulbs are a good suggestion for seasonal depression. You need more natural light and they make light bulbs that mimic that. It might also help if you get more potted plants in your house. Leafy green stuff, even a small tree.

Or, you could just move if you hate it that much.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,861 times
You should consider coming to denver. Sunny almost everyday with no humidity.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:56 PM

135 posts, read 230,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneyfan1 View Post
It's sooo depressing! 8 months of the year have crappy weather, only to be disappointed when summer comes and it's hot and humid. there are hardly ANY days that are dry and just NICE!!! (60-80 and no humidity). I have lived here my whole life and I despise it. It's been overcast for the ENTIRE month of May!! I might as well ive in Seattle!
Like others have said, why complain about it when you can actually get up and leave! I did. I'm in heaven in Corona, CA loving the day after day sunshine. It doesn't get old because I grew up in a WAAAAAY cloudier, rainier, and gloomier city than Boston-- Scranton, Pennsylvania. It is grey there 12 months/year. Until you lived in an overcast hell for an extended period of time (aka Northeastern PA), you really can't complain about Boston.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:43 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
You should consider coming to denver. Sunny almost everyday with no humidity.
Might not be a bad suggestion. Although you'd need to check out all the features of Denver. Everyone's preferences are different, and Denver, like Boston, would be great for some people, not so much for others.

That's something to consider before complaining too much about Boston's weather. Are there other features you really like about Boston? Maybe you'd find that you'd miss those if you moved, and would ultimately find that Boston's weather would be a price worth paying for the features you found positive. Maybe not, since this all depends on your personal tastes, but it's worth considering that weather isn't the only feature that makes a place, and anywhere you live will have both its good and bad points.

By the way, maybe it's close to being true this year that you "might as well be in Seattle," but this does seem to have been an unusually drizzly, gray spring. Not that we don't get plenty of days like that most springs, but the long strings of days with that kind of weather we've had this year aren't the norm.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:49 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
I lived in Florida for six years where the sun ALWAYS shined and it was so hot and humid that you couldn't go outdoors to do ordinary chores. Walks had to be taken in the early am or at dusk. I had three triple sliders on the backside of my house and I'd look out at the palm trees and think... "It might as well be a mural," because I couldn't open the doors and go outside to enjoy it. I'll take the gray... gladly!

Old 05-29-2011, 02:22 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast30 View Post
Like others have said, why complain about it when you can actually get up and leave! I did. I'm in heaven in Corona, CA loving the day after day sunshine. It doesn't get old because I grew up in a WAAAAAY cloudier, rainier, and gloomier city than Boston-- Scranton, Pennsylvania. It is grey there 12 months/year. Until you lived in an overcast hell for an extended period of time (aka Northeastern PA), you really can't complain about Boston.
There's a good point to keep in mind, which is brought up in the quoted post in the part about northeastern PA, as well as LRFox's earlier post about less than ideal weather in AZ, San Francisco, etc. That point is that in truth MA does not have the greatest weather, and I doubt that many people move here specifically for the weather, but this state's weather is also far from the worst you'll find out there. Spend a few years in Juneau, Fargo, I dunno, maybe Buffalo, etc., and then head back to MA. You're likely to conclude that the weather here isn't really so bad after all.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:51 PM

274 posts, read 370,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INstix View Post
Oooo, nice picture! I'm seeing walking the doggie, a nice picnic lunch, some light shopping. Yeah, sounds awful.
Yes, the picture is beautiful, but it doesn't tell you anything about how it feels. The OP is right, in fact, I've lived here my whole life also and I have exactly the same opinion of Boston.

This picture could be of a typical Boston day in August, 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity, and that guy walking his dog is dripping with sweat and his shirt is sticking to him.

The weather here goes from dreary muggy drizzly dark days to swealtering sunny days full of humidity.

In fact, that was the weather just last week!

Old 05-29-2011, 02:33 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,444 times
Calgon, take Chesneyfan1 away!!!! To a climate s/he is more suited for. I'd rather be here than in oppressive NV and AZ (where my mother and some friends are), humidity saturated SC (where my daughter is "vacationing").
I'm loving the gentle "easing" into summer. Everything is turning so green. My window boxes are blossoming nicely, the roses will be blooming shortly, and I just planted more flowers that will bloom in July and August. Spent some time at the National Cemetery in Bourne this morning. Yes, it was foggy, but I was still in a sleeveless shirt.
I love New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston