Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,911,809 times

Advertisements

You can find a studio in Cleveland circle off the green line Reservoir D/Cleveland Circle C for $1,100 per month and keep the car.

They also have very small studios all around the St.Marys T stop off the C-line (10 minute walk to Kenmore) for around $1100-$1300. You could possibly even keep the car still.

Thats my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 03:16 PM

Waltham is expensive (surprisingly). I guess given its proximity to many offices and towns like Newton and Wellesley. I hear the schools there suck.

I thought about moving out to Waltham to save money but the prices are almost as bad as Newton and Brookline. Seriously, for what? To live in a bleak suburb with several office parks?

Old 09-05-2013, 03:44 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I thought about moving out to Waltham to save money but the prices are almost as bad as Newton and Brookline. Seriously, for what? To live in a bleak suburb with several office parks?
Don't forget Bentley and Brandies Universities. I think BU has a campus in Watham as well. I'm sure these schools add $100s per month to the cost of rentals.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Don't forget Bentley and Brandies Universities. I think BU has a campus in Watham as well. I'm sure these schools add $100s per month to the cost of rentals.

This is true. Waltham still does not seem worth it for the high rent unless you work or study in Waltham.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:57 PM

41 posts, read 53,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
As it stand now, I live in Waltham in a 3BR/2.5 BA with 3 room mates. My portion of the rent is $800 + utilities. All in all is cost about $1000 to live here. Then I have my car payment, auto ins, gas, and parking, which add up to nearly $1000 a month.

I want to get rid of the car and all the expenses that come with it and move into the city. I also want to be able to save money in the process. I'd like to live in the city for around $1300 + utilities..

If I can't make Back Bay area work, where could I live in the boston area with out a car on that budget? Living really close to a T line would be crucial.

I'd like to simplfy my live a little and get the city experience for a few years. But maybe I can't afford it..........
Back Bay is considered one of the most expensive areas to live in.

Try places like JP, Allston/Brighton (Oak Square), Watertown, Somerville, parts of Cambridge but away from MIT/Harvard... that's a wide area to search from. Parts of Newton are good also. But regardless where you look, remember to find a place that's close to a T stop.

For ~$1,300, it should be enough for at least a studio, if not a 1BD, apartment but you won't know the size of it or the condition until you check out the place.

It's admirable to ditch the car, but, what if you need it for whatever reason? You'll need to consider shopping as part of your routine activity. Renting a car is relatively expensive. Also, you'll need to consider the cost of the monthly commuting cost (i.e. T pass).

You could still share an apartment in town so that's another possibility to save expenses unless you want your privacy and want your own place.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,921 times
2405 South Main St, South Walpole, Ma is a nice place. No rent, rooms are furnished along with daily meals. Also, I am pretty sure that you will find some "bang for your buck."

Last edited by jbub22; 09-08-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston