Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:52 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times

Advertisements

I realize not all of these people live in Boston. Maybe none do but it's likely some do. But all of Boston should be embarrassed over these morons.

Joel Ward Racist Tweets-Bruins Fans Racism After 2012 Caps Game 7 | NowPublic News Coverage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 04:45 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
This story is already getting old. Yes, a handful of complete morons tweeted some very unacceptable comments. That said, this does NOT represent this Bruins fan and season ticket holder nor the population of Boston. Walking out of Garden last night and into North Station I did not hear even one comment about the race of Joel Ward. Zero, zip, zilch. I then sat on the platform for 10 minutes waiting amongst many Bruins fans, again nothing.

There are racists everywhere, including your state of Virginia. And these type of fools will always be willing to shoot their mouths off, particularly with the anonymity of the internet. That will never change.

You can no more pin this on the entire Bruins nation anymore than we can say all of Vancouver is filled with rioters. The follow up ignorance I've seen on Twitter today bashing Boston and Bruins fans was pretty bad. Maybe not as bad as the comments directed towards Ward, but still way off base.

P.S. I think Washington will go down next round

Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Wow, coming from Virginia, its not like you guys down south sould be talking.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Is this what it's coming to? A few idiots take to social media and others are going to brand a city and area racist? Give me a break.

Is London, Ontario a bunch of racists since someone there threw a banana on the ice at Wayne Simmonds?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 PM

Don't get your knickers all bunched up. I did put "Hockey fans" in the subject. I know this is not a reflection on the city overall. I really like the city of Boston and love visiting. Unfortunately the tweets are/will be associated with the Bruins which is not fair. The tweets were pretty racist. BTW. Not a Caps fan here.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Don't get your knickers all bunched up. I did put "Hockey fans" in the subject. I know this is not a reflection on the city overall. I really like the city of Boston and love visiting. Unfortunately the tweets are/will be associated with the Bruins which is not fair. The tweets were pretty racist. BTW. Not a Caps fan here.
Yeah, well I AM a hockey fan. And so are many people I know. And we all live in or near Boston. And none that I know are racists. Based on a lot of the rubbish I saw on Twitter today, we are all card carrying members of the KKK. So yes, I AM offended.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Many of the tweeters have been tracked down and a high percentage of them aren't from Boston (or Massachusetts) and many aren't Bruins fans. This is even less a reflection of the Bruins/Boston than the riots in Vancouver. It's people (mostly very young) from all over the country (and all different fan bases) being stupid on the Internet. Disgusting? Absolutely. Buts only a reflection off the individuals who posted and they are from a all over the country and many different fan bases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Of course people are going to get their "knickers in a bunch" but that's what you expected when you posted a thread that essentially calls an entire city "classless" (yes, I know you put "hockey fans" in parenthesis). If you know it's not a reflection on the city, then why post a thread in the Boston forum called "way to stay classy Boston"? If it's not about the city, why not just post "way to stay classy hockey fans" in one of the general forums.

*edit*
You want to read really disappointing internet commentary on a daily basis, check out the comments section on ANY Fox News story. Here's a link to some highlights (lowlights)

Ignorance on the web is not new, nor is it a geographically specific thing.

Last edited by lrfox; 04-26-2012 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Gotta point out, even the article you link to opens with the phrase, "A small number of Boston Bruins fans . . . ." Might have been worth a brief mention in the opening post.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Gotta point out, even the article you link to opens with the phrase, "A small number of Boston Bruins fans . . . ." Might have been worth a brief mention in the opening post.
You're right. It was a few morons but unfortunately it involved your city. Even if they weren't residents of Boston which sounds like it may be the case. I did a cut and paste and should have clarified it a little better. I knew when I posted it that this was the work of a small number of racists and not the entire city.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:50 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Friday's Boston Globe's main front story is about this along with a photo of Ward after the goal. The Herald has no mention on the front or back pages. Haven't checked yet for a story inside.

Yahoo's Puck Daddy NHL blog has a few stories, one with over 3,000 comments, which is very high for their hockey stories...usually a couple hundred is high.

A national overnight syndicated sports host, JT The Brick, mentioned the topic and seemed to defend the city from those "few" idiots. Supposedly it was a relative few...and they were attacked by serious commenters?

But one knows that some Boston fans, or any city's fans, would quickly label another city's fans as ignorant had this happened to a black Bruin, if we ever see one. Not sure if one has played here in modern times, since pioneer Willie O'Ree years ago.

Poor guy is over 30 and has played in Nashville and in the minors in Houston, seemingly without incident. I know of his name, but didn't know his race until now. H

He wears number 42 which Jackie Robinson wore in his iconic baseball days?

I'll (we'll?) be cheering him in the next round against the NY Rangers!

Funny thing: hockey has a slogan that "Hockey is for Everyone," which tries to promote the sport to minorities. They'll likely avoid it, period, after this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston