U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
5,944 posts, read 6,742,771 times
Reputation: 4277

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I think Back Bay or the Seaport would be great. Personally, I'd go with Back Bay because of its central location, but it depends on if she decides to keep her car.



Scary? I think that's a bit of hyperbole. I've been there at times and felt uncomfortable, but never scared. I would only be concerned if I were walking around the library later than 1 or 2 AM and honestly, you should probably always be on guard at that time, especially if you're alone.

That dusty dark outbound stop has always been a crawl into the bowels of the earth, scent included.

It's so bad if I need to be in BackBay for any reason, I walk the extra distance either back to Arlington or the Convention Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM
 
288 posts, read 488,771 times
Reputation: 548
Be careful about South Boston. Not all areas of South Boston are gentrified. Don't let the sparkly new condos fool you. For example, though most of the time nothing happens, Andrew Square has some sketchy characters around the station, who might not stand out in an obvious way. Some are trying to sell drugs and at least one guy recently tried to sell stolen goods in a barrel to an undercover cop. They are usually white men.

Last edited by sharencare; 11-14-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
1,684 posts, read 3,205,708 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
Be careful about South Boston. Not all areas of South Boston are gentrified. Don't let the sparkly new condos fool you. For example, though most of the time nothing happens, Andrew Square has some sketchy characters around the station, who might not stand out in an obvious way. Some are trying to sell drugs and at least one guy recently tried to sell stolen goods in a barrel to an undercover cop. They are usually white men.
Let's not get South End confused with South Boston. South Boston proper is zip code 02127 while South End is 02118 and is far removed from South Boston by the I-93 Expressway and the Mass. Ave Connector. The Seaport (Innovation) District is technically South Boston although it has its own zip code of 02210. Due to political wrangling from the 02127 folk some time ago, the City and State have to officially call it the South Boston Waterfront District (long and complicated story that I do not have the time to tell here). I don't recall anyone suggesting the 02127 zip code to the OP.

Andrew Square I believe actually falls into Dorchester (02125) but it is very close, practically within a stone's throw away from South Boston. And yes it is not as gentrified as other parts of Boston and has its share of crime but then again no one in this post suggested it to the OP. For her friend who can afford $3500 rent, she can definitely afford better than Andrew Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
1,684 posts, read 3,205,708 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Those are fabulous large chain department stores, some now found in your local neighbor mall. Restoration Hardware, a personal favorite, is also at the Wrentham Mall Outlet. There is also Marshalls, Burger King and crummy pizza parlor across from the library on Boylston street.

The Zanzibar back in the 90s was the creepiest nightclub I was ever in, den of vice, with multiple dark corners.

Louis, the grand men's clothier, moved from BackBay to where, the Seaport.

The Prudential Center once filled with affluent Gillette executives, moved all those professionals to South Boston.

Newbury Street was cooler and more elegant in pre-dotcom days, all the art galleries, cafés and small unique clothing stores. Many of the ad agencies and design firms once there followed the ICA to the Seaport. The ICA leaving BackBay for the Seaport did not help the neighborhood either.

Those brownstones on Commonwealth and Marlborough street, many of them could use a good scrub and returned to their grandeur. The people who can afford to live there don't seem to be keeping up these historic buildings.

Berklee School of Music and the Boston Architectural Center, points for that.

BackBay once the haven of wealthy professionals has become the land of trust fund college students whose parents can afford to rent from people who were wise enough to buy property in the 1970s, when one could buy a condo on Marlborough for 30k and people in their 60s who settled in the 1980s during the glory days. Would not recommend to someone in their 30s who can afford to live anywhere.
All right to each his own. I am so sorry to hear that you do not value all that is currently in Back Bay but that is not stopping me or anyone else from recommending it to the OP's friend. Just the gaze down Boylston Street is kind of reminiscent of a Manhattan street. Newbury Street is still very very trendy with a plenitude of high end shops, cafes, and restaurants. You must also be the only one who notices the ICA missing because every time I pass by that building, I couldn't care less that the Boston Architectural College and a restaurant have occupied its space because they have done a fine job in keeping up the building. Funny enough, the part of Back Bay by Berklee School of Music and Mass. Ave is the dirtiest part to me because the Berklee students like to congregate outside so I don't know why you praise this part and blast Comm. Ave and Marlborough Street . If you really think Manhattan is all that cleaner than Back Bay, then perhaps I recommend you visit it one more time and compare. Might as well do the same for the interesting but crowded North End as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
5,944 posts, read 6,742,771 times
Reputation: 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
If you really think Manhattan is all that cleaner than Back Bay, then perhaps I recommend you visit it one more time and compare.
Now where did I mention Manhattan or New York in any of my posts?

Anyways, rereading the OPs post she mentioned her friend lived in Soho not the upper East side of Manhattan, which seems to be what you are mapping BackBay to. I think you need the educational trip to New York city neighborhoods more than I do.


Once more with feeling:

Tower Record (now-defunct once very cool multi-story music store) now drum roll ..... Best Buy

Digitas, Hill Holiday, two more expatriats from BackBay.


Berklee along with the BAC are the remaining ornaments in the land of BackBay. Major creativity bubbling behind those walls. The OP said her friend is arty. This is arty.


Urban Peasant do reveal some cool shops and restaurants. Is it Forever21 in the Pru?

Last edited by 495neighbor; 11-14-2013 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,324 posts, read 9,023,459 times
Reputation: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Tower Record (now-defunct once very cool multi-story music store) now drum roll ..... Best Buy
I believe that Best Buy store is closed.

On another note . . . are there any Tower Records stores open anywhere? I thought the company went bankrupt. I used to love Tower Records, but record stores are closing all over the country due to the popularity of digital downloads so I'm not sure this is a great example to support your argument. I also loved renting VHS tapes at Blockbuster but I wouldn't judge an area by how many Blockbusters they currently have.

This being said, I don't disagree with you that the Back Bay area is a little more bland than it once was. However, it's still a great place to spend some time in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 PM
 
288 posts, read 488,771 times
Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Let's not get South End confused with South Boston. South Boston proper is zip code 02127 while South End is 02118 and is far removed from South Boston by the I-93 Expressway and the Mass. Ave Connector. The Seaport (Innovation) District is technically South Boston although it has its own zip code of 02210. Due to political wrangling from the 02127 folk some time ago, the City and State have to officially call it the South Boston Waterfront District (long and complicated story that I do not have the time to tell here). I don't recall anyone suggesting the 02127 zip code to the OP.
The OP wrote the following: (when I see a comma, I assume it's a separate idea.)
"I had recommended the South End and we will look at a couple places there, but I'm wondering if other neighborhoods should be on our radar too. A lot of people on these forums mention other neighborhoods including: South Boston (gentrified?), waterfront (innovation and modern buildings?), Back Bay (that's not too stuffy?), Midtown (never heard of this, where is it?), Brookline (isn't that for families?), Cambridge (too young?), etc. ."

I know you're trying to be helpful, but my information is accurate and I interpreted her question as is South Boston gentrified? I've lived in South Boston for 30 years, and I sometimes feel surprised when I overhear conversations on the train or get eager questions about my neighborhood from people who act as if South Boston is the "IT" place to be now. Andrew Square's zip code is definitely 02127--look up the zip for the popular Cafe Polonia, which is in the block south of Andrew. Realtors do take advantage of Andrew Square's being in South Boston and try to make the Southie zip code a selling point. I say not all parts of Southie have become gentrified, and Andrew Square is the least gentrified. Some may be fooled by the fancy new condos springing up around Andrew Square. Maybe not every home on the block is charging $3500 a month, but there are certainly young professionals moving into the area who are paying a hefty rent even for Andrew Square, completely oblivious to the fact that drug dealers are routinely busted at the station nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Andrew Square I believe actually falls into Dorchester (02125) but it is very close, practically within a stone's throw away from South Boston. And yes it is not as gentrified as other parts of Boston and has its share of crime but then again no one in this post suggested it to the OP. For her friend who can afford $3500 rent, she can definitely afford better than Andrew Square.
Again, I'm pretty sure Andrew Square is a 02127 zip code. Google "WBUR Andrew Square" for an interesting article about the neighborhood or check out the link below.
Square By Square: A Changed Boston, Moving Forward | WBUR

Last edited by sharencare; 11-18-2013 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
5,944 posts, read 6,742,771 times
Reputation: 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
The OP wrote the following: (when I see a comma, I assume it's a separate idea.)
"I had recommended the South End and we will look at a couple places there, but I'm wondering if other neighborhoods should be on our radar too. A lot of people on these forums mention other neighborhoods including: South Boston (gentrified?), waterfront (innovation and modern buildings?), Back Bay (that's not too stuffy?), Midtown (never heard of this, where is it?), Brookline (isn't that for families?), Cambridge (too young?), etc. ."

I know you're trying to be helpful, but my information is accurate and I interpreted her question as is South Boston gentrified? I've lived in South Boston for 30 years, and I sometimes feel surprised when I overhear conversations on the train or get eager questions about my neighborhood from people who act as if South Boston is the "IT" place to be now. Andrew Square's zip code is definitely 02127--look up the zip for the popular Cafe Polonia, which is in the block south of Andrew. Realtors do take advantage of Andrew Square's being in South Boston and try to make the Southie zip code a selling point. I say not all parts of Southie have become gentrified, and Andrew Square is the least gentrified. Some may be fooled by the fancy new condos springing up around Andrew Square. Maybe not every home on the block is charging $3500 a month, but there are certainly young professionals moving into the area who are paying a hefty rent even for Andrew Square, completely oblivious to the fact that drug dealers are routinely busted at the station nearby.



Again, I'm pretty sure Andrew Square is a 02127 zip code. Google "WBUR Andrew Square" for an interesting article about the neighborhood or check out the link below.
Square By Square: A Changed Boston, Moving Forward | WBUR

Good article Sharencare. Leave it to WBUR to tell the real story.

Sharencare, was there some kind of city government building in Andrew years ago, building department? I remember being sent by my manager to a government building in a gritty neighborhood where every contractor in the city of Boston convened and by their conversations seemed to know one another for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
1,684 posts, read 3,205,708 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
The OP wrote the following: (when I see a comma, I assume it's a separate idea.)]


Again, I'm pretty sure Andrew Square is a 02127 zip code. Google "WBUR Andrew Square" for an interesting article about the neighborhood or check out the link below.
Square By Square: A Changed Boston, Moving Forward | WBUR
You're right. I stand corrected. City Data itself has a map of the whole Andrew Square neighborhood.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Boston-MA.html

As you can see on the map, it's actually the other way around that Dorchester is a stone's throw away from Andrew Square. That I-93 Corridor pretty much separates Southie from Dorchester which means everything to the west of the corridor including the Holiday Inn Express and the Marriott Courtyard and of course South Bay Center all fall in Dorchester. That was what confused me because I always saw South Bay Center addresses as Dorchester while Andrew Square was so close within walking distance which is why I thought it was Dorchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 10:07 AM
 
Location: California
53 posts, read 73,245 times
Reputation: 47
I would say either Back Bay or Cambridge. If you definately do not want to have a car then Cambridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top