Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 01:36 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
So youre using poor a stand in for Black. Theyre not much alike.
I'm talking about the cityscape and the economy. Is everything about race to you?

Old 11-01-2021, 01:38 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
On the nightlife thing, (as a "nightlife city") I suppose Chicago would pull ahead of Boston despite its history of racism and deep segregation and that could be why it's done a better job shedding its reputation than Boston. Philly might have been a bad example as well. But that's just another example of people holding Boston up to unreasonable standards, constantly comparing the nightlife coverage to "nightlife cities" ie. NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Vegas, L.A....). Boston isn't one of those cities, but it's far from the worst. At "worst case", it's probably average for its size.

But moving onto the rest of the older provincial minded cities, no I still do NOT get the impression that Boston is any less welcoming and inclusive than what you will find in those cities or that you can't find similar accounts like the ones you post re. Boston.

Nobody here ever said that Boston is not flawed, nor that does it not need a lot of work. As you well know, it's a constant theme on this forum spanning many threads. It's the insecurity and constantly dwelling on what uninformed people elsewhere think, that wears thin after a while. It's just not what Boston "does". Calling people out as "cowards" is not warranted.
"uniformed people elsewhere"?
You mean Boston natives? People who were literally in Boston within the past month (as mentioned din this article)

Philly is a nightlife city?

What peer city of Boston has nightlife as weak as Boston, particularly black nightlife? Maybe San Francisco? Maybe? Certainly not Oakland? I even hear Seattle is pretty fun.

The issue is Boston has flaws but people are comfortable with them because X Y or Z thing, ost fo which doest benefit the people of color in Boston much. Not that its all bad of course but the resistance to change and endless kind of sickening self-congratulating attitude keeps the city provincial and from reaching its true potential. Gotta do better at bringing other groups into the fold and making folks feel seen or at home.

And there was much more there than just nightlife.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:39 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
The ratio of white-owned clubs to black-owned clubs is not 2:1 like the city's population. More like 200:1. indeed the ONLY black-owned nightclub I know of in Boston (or New England really) is Kays Oasis in Mattapan.

There are about 6-7 black-oriented clubs in general in Boston

ICON
BIJOU
FABRICIA
TUNNEL
Dublin House
Kays Oasis
Macumba Lounge

the rest are halls like Russel Auditorium or Restaurant like Savvor
With a 200:1 ratio, this implies there's around 1400 non-black nightclubs/lounges in Boston. I'd guess the actual number of actual nightclubs in Boston city limits is much, much lower than that.

Maybe I'm not understanding, but are you implying that clubs are the key to making blacks feel welcome? Overpriced, watered-down liquor and loud music is what inclusive looks like? I don't disagree that Boston can't do more to encourage and welcome all races, but it really seems like nightlife is a really unusual hill to choose to die on for it.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I'm talking about the cityscape and the economy. Is everything about race to you?
cityscape? Boston is an urban port city, Atlanta is in lush green rolling hills with a subtropical climate and single-story suburban in character.

Economy? Theres some overlap (white collar cities with good schools) but Atlanta is a bigger entertainment and media center with much less tech.

This is a thread about explicitly race, so yea this is about race to me.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:41 PM

17,681 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Quote:
YOU should spend less time fearmongering and touting racial bias in New England forums. Not a smart decision.
I don't do that and you know that. You're just trying to change the subject.

No need to pull stunts like that.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I'd argue it's not that Boston's voting blocs have a problem with black clubs, but all clubs. They're a major NIMBY, after all.
All nightclubs are a problem. However, black nightclubs are typically viewed as more problematic.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
my kids are 5 and 7...at this point where can i expect them to have their first make out session someday?
msRB, that is a very odd question.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
With a 200:1 ratio, this implies there's around 1400 non-black nightclubs/lounges in Boston. I'd guess the actual number of actual nightclubs in Boston city limits is much, much lower than that.

Maybe I'm not understanding, but are you implying that clubs are the key to making blacks feel welcome? Overpriced, watered-down liquor and loud music is what inclusive looks like? I don't disagree that Boston can't do more to encourage and welcome all races, but it really seems like nightlife is a really unusual hill to choose to die on for it.
90:1, is that level of gross inequity more palatable for you?

I was talking about liquor licenses btw. which is very close to 200:1 " Wu told the crowd that eight Black-owned restaurants currently hold liquor licenses in a city where thousands of liquor licenses exist." I believe its about 1300-1400 liquor licenses. There were fewer 9 for a brief moment then District 7 Tavenr closed. down to 8 black ones.

Do me one favor, one small favor. Ask yourself-how much would you like Boston if there were only 8 white-owned venues with liquor licenses and like 1200 black ones? Be serious.

But yea clubs are important places for black social life as we have an affinity for music and dance.Inf act you hear "the club" mentioned in black music ad nauseam. This is why this article exists and why the forum was held in a nightclub.

Just because Boston white culture doesn't care about nightclubs doesn't mean we have to share that sentiment, we dont. Many Black Bostonians venture to Providence and NYC for that reason.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:48 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,228 times
Quote:
Crock. Total crock. People dont want more people to look like them, they want more people that look like them to succeed and be full participants and valued memebrs of their city with representation that is appropriate.
they want more people that look like them to succeed
Atlanta median household income 102k for whites, 35k for black.

Boston, white 90k, black 41k

https://saportareport.com/racial-dif...umnists/david/
https://www.baystatebanner.com/2018/...-boston-booms/

Great success, a wider gap in average income but hey, there is a black mayor.

Quote:
Theres much to address. The attitude of black people concerns are trivial and fabricated which asolutely is what you stand-in is a major fundamental issue not just in Boston, but nationally.

As I said earlier if you dont care, then you dont get to claim youre not racist. Pick a side, realize what side youre on.

Understand this is the majorituy pinion of balck people 54% of which fond Boston unwelcoming when they visited. So if your gong to diregard the majority black opinion. I'd call you a racist. Or at least very comfrotable with latent racism (thats racist)
I already said I million times that all of your analysis exclusively take into account white and black people, constantly disregarding any other minorities.
You favorite mayoral candidate lost in every precinct without a large black population, so maybe, just maybe, you should consider that her problem isn't really white racism but the fact that she only appealed to black people and not to any other minority.
But as always, the reason behind is racism with you.

It's just kind of boring constantly refuting a lot of what you say with data when in the end you come back with the exact same point 2 days later.
Get out of your echo chamber.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:51 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,228 times
Quote:
Do me one favor, one small favor. Ask yourself-how much would you like Boston if there were only 8 white-owned venues with liquor licenses and like 1200 black ones? Be serious.
Wouldn't change anything obviously. The liquor store where I used to go in Boston was the closest to my space, I have no idea who the owner was, but the people working in it weren't white.
You sound like people that only buy Fords because they are made in America, except without the taxes excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston