Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:23 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Malden and Quincy are not Cambridge and the North end, not by a long shot. I'm just saying this op has no idea what Boston actually is.

Also. I think if you want to spend 1500 per month to live with roommates you're a fool. This is why this city is so expensive, young kids with no concept of money.

Look I have roommates, I don't even pay 600 in brighton. Of course cheaper housing is out there. I've been pretty vocal about this on here. I'm just saying would I leave my job and move a thousand miles with my girlfriend to see quality of life go down, add two roommates, etc? No. Just seems naive and regrettable after 4 months.
Assuming things about people is never a good idea. I was born up here, been here many times, lived in NJ and NYC. I know exactly what Boston is.

That's your opinion. We WANT to have roommates for a little while, so we can meet new people and network, move around a bit and get the lay of the land. We are saving an assload of money. Careers will advance. She wants to move up here too.

And then you g8 and say you have roommates...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 10:01 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,420 times
Quote:
Malden and Quincy are not Cambridge and the North end, not by a long shot. I'm just saying this op has no idea what Boston actually is.
I'm sure he knows that. I'm just giving him fairly safe and accessible places that are more affordable.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:18 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Assuming things about people is never a good idea. I was born up here, been here many times, lived in NJ and NYC. I know exactly what Boston is.

That's your opinion. We WANT to have roommates for a little while, so we can meet new people and network, move around a bit and get the lay of the land. We are saving an assload of money. Careers will advance. She wants to move up here too.

I wouldn't worry about some of the comments here. It appears most people from a cheaper area who are used to getting more for the money, or who come from a well to do background, are out of touch with the reality for most people. You seem grounded, and know what you're getting into, while have the benefit of having extended family locally. I would say go for it. (Then again, you were going to do that anyway, and didn't need my, nor anyone else's approval.)

Old 06-24-2017, 04:26 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:

I don't have roommates and live with my gf. I would never do that. Look man, do what you want. I just am saying living in Malden with 2 roommates and a gf in the same house is not going to be fun. You also aren't going to network with your roommates. They will be random Craigslist people who will move every year.

Also you are just looking for people to confirm your idea. Waste of time. See ya around Boston dude

Old 06-25-2017, 05:51 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
I don't have roommates and live with my gf. I would never do that. Look man, do what you want. I just am saying living in Malden with 2 roommates and a gf in the same house is not going to be fun. You also aren't going to network with your roommates. They will be random Craigslist people who will move every year.

Also you are just looking for people to confirm your idea. Waste of time. See ya around Boston dude

You're so negative. Loads of people make great friends with new roommates. It seems more common than not. Heck, my friend Alyssa married one of her roommates (CL put together apartment of four) that she moved in with in an apartment in Porter Sq.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're so negative. Loads of people make great friends with new roommates. It seems more common than not. Heck, my friend Alyssa married one of her roommates (CL put together apartment of four) that she moved in with in an apartment in Porter Sq.
Happy for alyssa.

Don't know how you conclude it's more common than not. Apartments for people's in their 20s are revolving doors. This is not "being negative". It's accurate. I'm sure the mid 30s and 40s crowd is more stable though.

While we are passing off anecdotes as irrefutable evidence, let me add that I've had 12 roommates in five years (and I've lived in the same house for three years now, seven roommates have come through here in that time).

I have five good friends who have moved out of Boston entirely in the last three years as well. Probably over 10 friendly acquaintances.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 06-25-2017 at 11:53 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 12:50 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,398 times
Did not read the pages, so maybe this was already suggested.

Dance Party on June 30th:

City Dance Party Friday, June 30 - City of Cambridge, MA

Old 06-25-2017, 12:56 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Quote:
Happy for alyssa.

Don't know how you conclude it's more common than not. Apartments for people's in their 20s are revolving doors. This is not "being negative". It's accurate. I'm sure the mid 30s and 40s crowd is more stable though.

While we are passing off anecdotes as irrefutable evidence, let me add that I've had 12 roommates in five years (and I've lived in the same house for three years now, seven roommates have come through here in that time).

I have five good friends who have moved out of Boston entirely in the last three years as well. Probably over 10 friendly acquaintances.

I appreciate what you're telling me man, I do. But I've dealt with roommates too and most of them I'm still in contact with, and I use 1 as a reference (he's a PhD in nueroscience). I've had 9 in the past 5 years myself, and only 2 I don't keep in contact with. I know it's a revolving door. I'm not trying to do it forever, trust me lol just until my career advances (in this rapidly growing med tech company it won't be hard with my ambition) and m'lady finds a job in her field.

But who knows what the future holds? I smoked a j and walked around my new neighborhood in Raleigh and remembered that though smaller, it's still a great city. With the hilly, curvy, tree heavy roads with all the city amenities I really need...so we'll see. At $1400 my girlfriend and i are the first to live in this brand new "luxury" complex that is walkable by Ralrigh standards. Will we get that in Boston for the same price? Obvioudly not. What I'm really after is density. If Raleigh can't get denser over the next 3 years or so I'm going to end up in either DC, Philly, North Jersey, NY, or Boston. Sorry I ramble when I toke

Any move is at least 2 years out. So no worries for now.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 06-25-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 01:00 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,398 times
I would also recommend kayaking in the Charles River, take redline to Kendall.

Paddle Boston - Charles River Canoe & Kayak :: Sales, Rentals, Trips, Instruction, and Gear in Boston > Rates

Old 06-25-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I appreciate what you're telling me man, I do. But I've dealt with roommates too and most of them I'm still in contact with, and I use 1 as a reference (he's a PhD in nueroscience). I've had 9 in the past 5 years myself, and only 2 I don't keep in contact with. I know it's a revolving door. I'm not trying to do it forever, trust me lol just until my career advances (in this rapidly growing med tech company it won't be hard with my ambition) and m'lady finds a job in her field.

But who knows what the future holds? I smoked a j and walked around my new neighborhood in Raleigh and remembered that though smaller, it's still a great city. With the hilly, curvy, tree heavy roads with all the city amenities I really need...so we'll see. At $1400 my girlfriend and i are the first to live in this brand new "luxury" complex that is walkable by Ralrigh standards. Will we get that in Boston for the same price? Obvioudly not. What I'm really after is density. If Raleigh can't get denser over the next 3 years or so I'm going to end up in either DC, Philly, North Jersey, NY, or Boston. Sorry I ramble when I toke

Any move is at least 2 years out. So no worries for now.
Fair enough. There are certainly cities for certain personalities. I also don't have much experience with Raleigh. But as lo g as you are realistic and not rushing into anything, you have a much better idea of what you want than me that's for sure. Best of luck with all future decisions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston