Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:04 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,961 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh, I meant, accepted inTO.....

Anyway, my daughter just got into Boston University. We are so excited! However, we didn't think she'd get in (although she did get into U of Miami and NYU)therefore, she applied to Boston as a "reach" school. We have visited both Miami and NYU, but not Boston, and now we need to know everything we can ASAP!

She's thinking she REALLY wants to go there. People who are from Boston, or know Boston well, always tell her she's like someone from Boston, or that they could see her living there and that she'd probably love it.
I am totally open to it, although I have not been to Boston since I was a kid.

Could anyone please tell me the pros and cons about Boston University, it's location, it's local reputation, and anything about the city for first timers.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 01:41 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Default Congratulations to your daughter!

B.U. is a fine university. Locally in the Boston area, people sometimes give B.U. too little credit for being as good a school as it is, simply becuase the area also is home to the likes of Harvard and MIT, but B.U. is good. Congratulations to your daughter on her college admissions, especially getting into the "reach" school.

Here are a few basics on the school itself. You probably already know this, but in case you don't be aware that even though B.U. is private, it's a large university, so your daughter should be prepared for the realities this entails, such as large introductory classes, lower-level classes taught by graduate students, etc. On the plus side, a school this size offers many possiblities for extracurricular activities, and the chance to meet a great diversity of people, but the student does need to be comfortable handling a larger university.

Something else to be aware of is that the campus is urban in character, being located on the fringe of Boston's central city or greater downtown area. Rather than being located on a traditional campus with wide, tree-shaded courtyards, B.U. is made up mostly of buildings along city streets, though it does occupy a self-contained area, which gives the feel of having its own distinct locale.

Something it's important to keep in mind about B.U. is that it is expensive. If your daughter should want to live off campus at some point, you need to bear in mind also that Boston is one of the more expensive cities in the U.S. for cost of living. Still, despite the expensive housing, students do manage to live in the area, usually by finding roommates or housemates. Many students live in two sections of Boston immediately west of B.U., known as Allston and Brighton, meaning that it's possible to live in an area with many other students around.

As for life as a student in Boston, being an older, densely populated city, Boston has pretty much all of its city amenities--the stuff you go to the city for--packed into a relatively compact area of just a few square miles. This can make for real headaches for those driving into the city from the suburbs, with all those cars pouring into one small area, but if you're already living in the city, this makes it very convenient to get around. Almost anything your daughter is likely to need should be within walking distance or be able to be reached with a short subway ride.

You don't say what region you live in (unless your username gives a clue), or what type of community you live in, so I'm not sure how familiar your daughter would be with a setting like Boston. The city has a four-season climate, so she ought to be prepared for pretty much any kind of weather. As for the local environment and setting, like any big city, Boston has some crime, but it's actually relatively safe as cities go. Good common-sense safety practices should allay concerns about life in an urban setting, but common-sense safety habits should definitely be followed.

So basically, you're looking at a large university in an urban setting, almost in the heart of the city. I hope this info at least gives a basic picture. Feel free to ask about details of interest. And again, congrats to your daughter on her college acceptances.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Ogre said a lot and said it well. I hope your daughter is accepted AT school, but that shouldn't be a problem.

BU does suffer from being in the literal and academic shadows of MIT and Harvard. But while it's undeniably a better-than-average institution, I wouldn't put it quite in the ranks of the "Southern Ivies" like Duke and Vanderbilt or the "public Ivies" such as UMich. Having said that, in the school's favor I *will* aver that certain courses of study such as journalism/communications, engineering, performing arts, and international relations are very good indeed. The friends and acquaintances I have who graduated from there have all gone on to successful and satisfying careers, none the worse for not having attended one of the uberprestigious universities in Cambridge.

If your daughter was raised in London and/or Barcelona, she should find herself in good company at Boston U. A HUGE subset of the student population is international, whether born to expatriated or relocated American parents or native to the non-US country. Three of my high school years were spent in Japan, where I attended a multinational school in which all of the classes were taught in English. BU is a perennial draw for graduates of that school, to give you a small indication. The "Eurotrash" culture in Boston - a label with no actual geographic qualifier - is fueled heavily by BU grad students and undergrads. It's a community of thousands who are either awash in money or who know how to creatively give that impression, which lives out its days shopping and being seen along Newbury St and spends its nights guzzling champagne - and being seen - at whatever club downtown or in the Back Bay or South End or even Allston is the hot spot of the week. One can only hope that most of these kids also find time to hit the books. This is not being posted in order to alarm, only as an FYI, since there are so many students attending BU and tens of thousands more collegians in the local area. With all the myriad extracurricular clubs and activities on campus, and seemingly limitless entertainment options in town, anyone can easily find a social niche to fit into without feeling like their appearance or background dictates how they exist.

The cautionary notes being sounded have to do with what flanks the campus on the east (Kenmore Square) and west (Allston/Brighton.) The school has sunk million$$$ into buying and demolishing or remodeling buildings in the square. As has occurred with Times Square in New York, the end result has proven to be the obliteration of beloved neighborhood fixtures (a punk rock club, late-night cafeteria, etc) which have been replaced by yet another expensive hotel and some national-chain businesses. McDonald's, FedEx Kinko's, Popeye's Fried Chicken, 7-Eleven, and Uno's - those revive a neighborhood? Uh huh...and with Fenway Park right next door, there's a guarantee of rowdiness to spare on game days and nights. All the "day spas" and beauty parlors and nail salons, catering to BU (and Northeastern, and Simmons, and on and on) "princesses," do nothing to enhance the square but do - I suppose - contribute in their own way. Meanwhile, west of campus, we have the "student ghetto" of Allston: unreconstructed grime, bar after bar and club after club, liquor supermarkets, and the worst crime rate in the entire city. BUT this area is also a haven for international businesses and fun eating places - Greek lunch establishment, sushi bars, Russian market, soul food, Chinese grocery store, the list goes on and on. Cheap funky furniture, exotic aquarium fish, all the latest "graphic novels," thrift-shop fashion? Allston's got 'em in spades. The trick to appreciating that section of Boston is BE OFF THE STREETS BY 11 PM - and, if living there, have barred windows and a deadbolted steel door and know who's in the lobby before buzzing them in.

Recognizing the perils of Allston and the Fenway, BU has also put a lot of funding into improving and enhancing on-campus housing. The unimaginatively named Student Village, a collection of high-rise cubes near the center of campus, is a "hot" place to reside with its wifi and picture windows and spacious quarters. It opened only a couple of years ago, to complement all the apartment buildings and brownstone row houses the school has purchased for its South Campus. (The neighbors, understandably, raised Holy Hell. But that only halted the expansion and didn't reverse what had already taken place.) Even the older dorms have been remodeled, and since some were originally hotels - complete with ballrooms - to begin with, they're not exactly places to be sentenced to live in.

Having said all that, I'll fall back on the well-worn and true statement, "College is what you make of it." At BU, your daughter stands to potentially make a great deal of and from it in every sense. So I hope she goes there and succeeds across the board.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:48 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Meanwhile, west of campus, we have the "student ghetto" of Allston: unreconstructed grime, bar after bar and club after club, liquor supermarkets, and the worst crime rate in the entire city. BUT this area is also a haven for international businesses and fun eating places - Greek lunch establishment, sushi bars, Russian market, soul food, Chinese grocery store, the list goes on and on. Cheap funky furniture, exotic aquarium fish, all the latest "graphic novels," thrift-shop fashion? Allston's got 'em in spades. The trick to appreciating that section of Boston is BE OFF THE STREETS BY 11 PM - and, if living there, have barred windows and a deadbolted steel door and know who's in the lobby before buzzing them in.
I'm not a huge Allston fan since I haven't been 19 in a while but this strikes me as kind of ridiculous. You don't spend much time in Grove Hall, Codman Sq., Geneva Av?? Of course anyone living in a city should be prudent, but I don't know anyone who's lived in Allston and was ever off the streets by 11 PM, and it is not the highest crime rate in the city. Scaring someone who doesn't know Boston at all into thinking her kid should go nowhere near Allston is just inaccurate.

You make a lot of good points in your thorough post but I felt compelled to present a different view on Allston.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Smile Great information!

Thanks for your comments thus far. I'd love to hear more!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:14 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
I'm a BU alum, albeit many years ago! The area has changed dramatically since I was there. Used to be that campus life was centered down towards Kenmore Square (well, once you got past the student union) and West Campus was just out there in nowheresville. But now, with the athletic complex/pool/rink and all the other building and buying of property that BU has done, it seems the center of campus life has shifted.

For me, BU was perfect. I graduated from a very small girls' high school out in the middle of nowhere. I wanted big, urban, sophisticated, anonymous. And I got it! If she winds up in "700" (whatever they're calling the towers at 700 Comm Ave these days), it can be overwhelming. I was there my freshman year, got a coveted suite on Bay State Rd my soph year and moved off campus to Brighton for junior and senior years.

You do get a bit of a complex being across the river from MIT and Harvard. I attended the school of communications (COM) which has a great national reputation. Back in my day, your student ID got you discounts just about anywhere but I'm not sure that's the case anymore.

If your daughter loves the city/urban life, can thrive in an anonymous big college atmosphere, she will love BU. I look back fondly on my college years!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:47 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
I would add depend on what she wants to study... each college has its strength... For example, not too many people go to MIT to study music...

For performing art and Finance, NYU is a much better school compare to BU...

Boston is a much small city compare to the other two cities that you mention. If she is looking for a real city experience, Boston will feel much slower, less crowded, less things to do, ...

Old 03-30-2008, 10:15 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I'm not a huge Allston fan since I haven't been 19 in a while but this strikes me as kind of ridiculous. You don't spend much time in Grove Hall, Codman Sq., Geneva Av?? Of course anyone living in a city should be prudent, but I don't know anyone who's lived in Allston and was ever off the streets by 11 PM, and it is not the highest crime rate in the city. Scaring someone who doesn't know Boston at all into thinking her kid should go nowhere near Allston is just inaccurate.

You make a lot of good points in your thorough post but I felt compelled to present a different view on Allston.

Allston DOES NOT have the worst crime rate in Boston. It's not even close. yes, you'll have to deal w/ some drunken college students, and, as a former resident there, I did experience a break in a few years back, but the streets of Allston are perfectly fine to be on past 11pm (of course, no matter if you are in Allston or Newton, it's always best to use basic common sense. don't leave windows and doors unlocked, be aware of your surroundings, etc)

compared to some parts of Boston, Allston stays up pretty late. the Shaws (correct me if I'm wrong) is 24/7, and there are a few bars and restaurants that are opened late (and filled w/ people who braved the "dangerous" Allston streets after 11pm)

compared to some of the real sketchy areas of Boston, Allston has little to worry about

Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
I would add depend on what she wants to study... each college has its strength... For example, not too many people go to MIT to study music...

For performing art and Finance, NYU is a much better school compare to BU...

Boston is a much small city compare to the other two cities that you mention. If she is looking for a real city experience, Boston will feel much slower, less crowded, less things to do, ...
Well she is going for the general studies program. Then into the Communications school in her Junior year. We are visiting in a week.
We at in NYC every month at least, and we visit Miami even more, so big cities do not scare her!
But Boston just wasn't one we thought she'd get into. And since we have family there (a cousin of hers attends) and out best friends son teaches there (he's a grad student) we are seriously thinking about this option!

Anyone else actually attend the school? Thanks!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Allston DOES NOT have the worst crime rate in Boston. It's not even close. yes, you'll have to deal w/ some drunken college students, and, as a former resident there, I did experience a break in a few years back, but the streets of Allston are perfectly fine to be on past 11pm (of course, no matter if you are in Allston or Newton, it's always best to use basic common sense. don't leave windows and doors unlocked, be aware of your surroundings, etc)

compared to some parts of Boston, Allston stays up pretty late. the Shaws (correct me if I'm wrong) is 24/7, and there are a few bars and restaurants that are opened late (and filled w/ people who braved the "dangerous" Allston streets after 11pm)

compared to some of the real sketchy areas of Boston, Allston has little to worry about
I agree with this 100%. I was responding to someone else who said Allston was the highest crime rate in the city, which it clearly isn't. You don't have to be an Allston booster (at my age I can take the place in smaller and smaller doses) to know that it's not the worst neighborhood on Boston for crime. It's just not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston