U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2019, 07:59 AM
 
1,918 posts, read 841,210 times
Reputation: 2251

Advertisements

https://www.boston.com/food/restaura...t-beast-closed


Damn fine roast beef sandwich they had. Sad to seem them go in a bit of controversial way.




“I’ve been in business for nine years and nobody has told me I need a hood,” Lawton said. “For nine years I’ve been inspected perfectly and nobody’s told me. If I had to put a hood in [the kitchen] it would cost me $150,000 to vent it up to the roof, and I don’t know if the landlord would permit me to do that.”


Lawton said that when he first came up with the idea for a roast beef shop at 1080 Commonwealth Ave., where he had previously owned a pipe shop, he was told that he did not need a restaurant hood system to operate. The business, located in the basement of an Allston apartment building, centered around roast beef and turkey sandwiches, featuring meat piled high onto rolls that were buttered and toasted on electric griddles. According to Lawton, there was never any cooking on the premises — the meat was only sliced and assembled.
On Oct.30, Lawton said that a fire inspector told him that he needed to install a hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2019, 08:14 AM
 
9,259 posts, read 8,096,724 times
Reputation: 5732
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
https://www.boston.com/food/restaura...t-beast-closed


Damn fine roast beef sandwich they had. Sad to seem them go in a bit of controversial way.




“I’ve been in business for nine years and nobody has told me I need a hood,” Lawton said. “For nine years I’ve been inspected perfectly and nobody’s told me. If I had to put a hood in [the kitchen] it would cost me $150,000 to vent it up to the roof, and I don’t know if the landlord would permit me to do that.”


Lawton said that when he first came up with the idea for a roast beef shop at 1080 Commonwealth Ave., where he had previously owned a pipe shop, he was told that he did not need a restaurant hood system to operate. The business, located in the basement of an Allston apartment building, centered around roast beef and turkey sandwiches, featuring meat piled high onto rolls that were buttered and toasted on electric griddles. According to Lawton, there was never any cooking on the premises — the meat was only sliced and assembled.
On Oct.30, Lawton said that a fire inspector told him that he needed to install a hood.
Something severely missing here. Have the codes changed? 9 years, really??? Hate seeing stuff like this, but I guess this is Marty's Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 08:25 AM
 
1,918 posts, read 841,210 times
Reputation: 2251
Yeah it's pretty crazy. Maybe they were looking for "the envelope"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 08:47 AM
 
5,902 posts, read 1,827,950 times
Reputation: 7879
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Yeah it's pretty crazy. Maybe they were looking for "the envelope"
Probably. It's ridiculous to require a hood/vent when nothing is cooked there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
689 posts, read 397,993 times
Reputation: 1290
I saw a special on Roast Beast in just the last few weeks. Local news, I think. They were definitely cooking on flattops. Maybe that news piece gained some unwanted attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 10:46 AM
 
1,918 posts, read 841,210 times
Reputation: 2251
They grill the buns on flattops. The beef is not cooked on site. But the main concern is why was it fine for 9 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 10:56 AM
 
35,904 posts, read 26,042,675 times
Reputation: 33039
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
They grill the buns on flattops. The beef is not cooked on site. But the main concern is why was it fine for 9 years?
Did the CMRs change? Changes in regs happen frequently. It very well may be that the definitions of "cooking" or something related changed.


The other issue is that interpretations change. Sometimes due to court cases, sometimes just because the MGLs or CMRs are written with very broad language. I could give examples, if needed, but they would be related to other fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 11:04 AM
 
Location: The Moon
1,118 posts, read 905,471 times
Reputation: 1412
https://www.wcvb.com/article/the-tra...setts/29593744

I see him cooking onions in a basement, no hood with fire suppression underneath a building with a bunch of apartments. Sucks that he had to close but that is a completely reasonable requirement given the location.

Too bad he didn't know the rules. You would think after having another one shut down previously he'd at least brush up on regulations or hire someone with a bit of knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 11:36 AM
 
5,902 posts, read 1,827,950 times
Reputation: 7879
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
https://www.wcvb.com/article/the-tra...setts/29593744

I see him cooking onions in a basement, no hood with fire suppression underneath a building with a bunch of apartments. Sucks that he had to close but that is a completely reasonable requirement given the location.

Too bad he didn't know the rules. You would think after having another one shut down previously he'd at least brush up on regulations or hire someone with a bit of knowledge.
Yeah, after watching the video, I agree it's reasonable. My previous comment was based on:

"According to Lawton, there was never any cooking on the premises"

...which isn't exactly accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 01:17 PM
 
Location: The Moon
1,118 posts, read 905,471 times
Reputation: 1412
Sounds like quite a bit of what he said was inaccurate. Doesn't sound like a conspiracy or anything. The City's reports are attached to the link, this guy just rage quit instead of doing things legally and safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top