Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,485,155 times

Advertisements

Demographics: The median age Concord: 42 years vs MA: 37years
25.1% under the age of 18,
4.2% from 18 to 24,
25.8% from 25 to 44,
28.4% from 45 to 64, and
16.5% who were 65 years of age or older.

A relatively rural town with median house price ~$600K and not a lot of rentals, not too many "young" people can afford it.

If you want young... go toward Boston and Cambridge.... there are plenty of 20 yr olds... :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 08:28 AM

25 posts, read 75,503 times
Default Commute to winchester from concord

Anybody do this commute? I would be leaving b/w 6:45am and 7:45am depedending on the day....we are moving from philadelphia and its tough to figure all this out from here so we appreciate any input..
J

Old 02-14-2009, 08:31 AM

Default Concord

Thanks Smarty...yea we live in the center of Philly now and we certainly love city life but think we are ready for some space...fresh air and trees....we just hope we dont age ourselves by doing it....
J

Old 02-16-2009, 06:13 AM

Default Dream and reality may be different

I could only suggest rent a house for a year before buying. I had a friend who thought he wants country living... realized that he spend more time taking care of a house than enjoying it. He went into Boston every day... and finally had to move back into the city.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
I second smarty's post. I would recommend renting, at least short-term, to get to know the area before you commit to buying. You may find that the town that works well on paper isn't what you expected at all...

Just my .02

Old 02-21-2009, 07:49 AM

Default Sports

Does anyone know if Concord has adult sports...pick up basketball anywhere, football games on sunday, softball etc...

Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms2007 View Post
Thanks everyone....my wife and I drove through all of the towns...we liked Concord a lot b/c of the amt of land you can get but were a bit surprised when we out to dinner that night, sat, to see that we brought down the age by 20 years...does anyone have any ideas if Concord has a young family vibe at all...how bout the commute from concord to Winchester???
Thanks
About noticing alot of senior citizens and older people in restaurants at night, I had the same experience when we moved to a rich suburb on the south shore. We went out to dinner one night and we were by far the youngest in the room by like 20 years. I had never been in that situation before--and never went to that restaurant again!

But relax, it doesn't mean anything--there are plenty of young families all over the place. They're just not filling the expensive restaurants on Saturday night. And there is usually one restaurant in whatever area that's really popular with the younger set--it will be packed on Saturday night with loud merrymakers. You just have to find it, if that's what you're into.

That said, there are many more older people in eastern MA than I'm used to--we moved here from NJ, from a town with insanely high property taxes. Basically once your kids graduated from HS you sold your house for a condo in a different town or out of state relocation. Nobody aged in place, and I mean NOBODY!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM

11 posts, read 35,435 times
Lexington and Newton are more diverse than Winchester or Concord. We have considered all these towns and had concerns about each -- in Newton and Lex the schools are great, but also so incredibly high pressure that they can eat kids alive -- even trickling down to elementary school. There was an extended artucle in the NYT about Newton in particular and all the stress.

Concord is a nice community, but too rural for my tastes. Not much to do etc.

We joined a church in Winchester - I think the town is adorable and the schools are very very good, but it's really homogeneous and I think pretty clique-y/snotty. We were turned off.

Of all the towns, I think Winchester is your best bet -- I have a slighte pref. for Lex, but the diffs are minor, so why not have no commute?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Concord Basketball League
http://www.concordma.gov/pages/Conco...lvball0809.pdf

Old 04-19-2009, 12:57 PM

we are going to rent now and are looking for a home to rent in concord and or carlisle....anyone have any leads...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston