Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 22,570 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm thinking about moving to Boulder soon and wondered how the weather compared to Boston. Is it colder, more snow? What's the 'culture' like in Boulder? I'm looking for a city similar to Seattle (as I lived there for several years but don't want to go back).

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 07:33 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmAddict75 View Post
Hi, I'm thinking about moving to Boulder soon and wondered how the weather compared to Boston. Is it colder, more snow? What's the 'culture' like in Boulder? I'm looking for a city similar to Seattle (as I lived there for several years but don't want to go back). thanks!
You've posted this same basic inquiry to 4 forums....

Kindly use the Search this Forum tool with keywords like Boulder weather or Boulder snow or Boulder culture or just Boulder and you'll get lots of info from what's been posted here for the last 16+ months. Truth is, people aren't too keen to keep keying in the same answers to the same old questions. There is a ton of weather info on all cities in the data side of this site.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:45 PM

353 posts, read 504,092 times
It's more mild than Boston with a bit more snow and a lot less rain.

Culturally, it's like Seattle. Boulder to Colorado is what Austin is to Texas. It's a very blue city in a very red state. You'll find the same sort of educated, young, liberal, outdoorsy people in Boulder as you will in Seattle--it's just that the ones in Boulder have a lot more money.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Regarding the weather, you can find a lot of information on accuweather.com

Old 05-05-2007, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 22,570 times
Default Boston to Boulder

This is to 'Mike back east'

And your point being..... so what I posted a similar inquiry in four different forums. I was asking about four completely different cities. Fine, I can google the weather on an city and read the stats. I just wanted to hear it straight from someone that lives in that particular city.

Typical east coast attitude. Much appreciated. Thanks again!

Old 05-05-2007, 07:59 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
This is to 'Mike back east' And your point being..... so what I posted a similar inquiry in four different forums. I was asking about four completely different cities. Fine, I can google the weather on an city and read the stats. I just wanted to hear it straight from someone that lives in that particular city. Typical east coast attitude. Much appreciated. Thanks again!
FilmAddict: Anytime. Glad to help. I, for one, am sick of keying in the same answers to the same questions. Use the search key. Tons of info "straight from someone that lives in that particular city" is ALREADY here on just about EVERY aspect of the region. There is frustration with newbies who jump in and ask for stuff that's right in front of them, in your case the "Seattle vs Denver" comparison, for which we have an active thread on that VERY topic, with superb first-person data. Nothing worse than a breathless newbie with that old "I may move to your city - tell me EVERYTHING." Oh sure. I have all day to cater to your every whim.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Default Pretty good

Quote:
Hi,

I'm thinking about moving to Boulder soon and wondered how the weather compared to Boston. Is it colder, more snow? What's the 'culture' like in Boulder? I'm looking for a city similar to Seattle (as I lived there for several years but don't want to go back).

thanks!
Definitely NOT colder or snowier than Boston, despite last year's Winter. Usually it'll snow in Boulder and then melt within 24 hours or so. Mostly you'll have to deal with windchill. There is a good amount of culture in Boulder. During the Summer they have the Shakespeare Festival and Garden tour and Pearl Street has a weekly street market with live performers playing music, juggling, etc. There are theatres, the Farmer's Market, the Public Library has a monthly movie schedule thro'out the year, there are a couple of decent art museums/institutes in and around town as well as the Boulder Philharmonic. The Boulderado Hotel does weekly jazz evenings. You're also pretty close to Denver with its orchestras or Nederland with its annual Frozen Dead Guy celebration in March . Check out these websites for more info: http://www.normankoren.com/Boulder.html and http://www.bouldercoloradousa.com/static/index.cfm?contentID=37&sectionid=1 (broken link). Enjoy!

Old 05-14-2007, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 36,032 times
it's generally sunny and warmish in boulder. even when the thermometer reads 25F, it can feel like you need to take off some layers because the radiance is so much more (not much atmosphere to filter it). it often snows several inches in the winter to melt within days. summers can be quite hot. 300+ days of sunshine.

the culture will feel lacking relative to boston, most likley. it's pretty sports oriented here. and pretty white/anglo. richard branson would love it here - there are plenty of people kind of like him here. it is not intellectual like it is around cambridge, e.g., around here. and becomes all the less so as you get away from boulder into the rest of colorado. it is basically the midwest here, maybe something like a blend of indianapolis with a very little bit of chicago and houston mixed in, next to the mountains. a little western flair. slightly more "democrat" than any of those places, but way less "democrat" than Mass. or the northeast. did i mention it's not diverse (relative to a boston, ny, dc, san fran., even seattle) here?

there isn't very much water here - obviously no ocean, and "lakes" are often treeless ponds or reservoirs around here. no cape cod or beach or finger lakes here.

if you love sports, especially mountain sports, and sunshine, those tend to seem to be what keep people here that move here from elsewhere. it can help to have connections here, maybe a bit more than some other places - it's at least a little clique-ish, relatively, and the job market seems pretty competitive and a little less multidimensional than many other cities, as does the singles scene. this is all coming from a well educated, white, northeastern (by upbringing), single male in his 30s.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 36,032 times
btw - i think "mike from back east" was just doing a moderator kind of thing in keeping with the stuff you agreed to by signiing up. these forums usually try to keep things organized by not having lots of similar posts by the same person or people. i took that kind of remark as offensive the first time i got something like it too, but, it kinda makes sense to me now, and isn't really an "east coast attitude" (by which i guess you mean direct, honest, and/or to the point) so much as a "forum moderator kind of thing to say" as far as i can tell.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,393 times
Default I need talk to you>>>>>

I need talk to you>>>>>
Quote:
Hi,

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area