Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Buddhists (non-Christian ones) go to hell?
Yes 38 12.18%
No 241 77.24%
I don't know. 33 10.58%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:59 PM

668 posts, read 681,783 times

Advertisements

Its been fun. I must commend all of you for telling me your opinions. This has been a positive learning experience, and good luck to all of you.

Love thy neighbor is simple enough for me (and most of you I'm sure).

Peace,

Trebek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 04:00 PM

668 posts, read 681,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
But being a Christian is not what gets you into heaven! Accepting Christ as Savior is what gets you into heaven. Big difference!

I don't know whether he did accept Christ as his savior or not...

cya

Old 06-26-2007, 04:04 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,544 times
I agree! Man, this place takes too much of my dang time! LOL

Old 06-26-2007, 04:21 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
As an atheist I find this purely amusing. Christians wonder why certain people seem to be focused on attacking the Christian faith especially on this board. In my opinion, the whole thing about being "saved" is a wonderful way for Christians to sell their beliefs to people all over the world. This enables the church to have more powerful influence in laws and the governments that enact them. It also seems to be incredibly ignorant for one to say that a person of a certain demoniation will not go to heaven because they don't follow the bible. What it seems to me is that this is a largely American assumption and that most other places in the world do not believe this or don't force it down the throats of those that don't believe the same thing. To say, I live in America, I am a God-fearing "saved" Christian on earth and I have a better life than 90% of the rest of the world, and guess what? I am going to heaven before the majority of those that have suffered on earth will get to. Well, who's the egotistical one now? Sure, you have ministries all over the world to spread the word but I find it funny that a large part of these focus on third world countries that still believe in ancient religions.

Yes, I know there are other ministries in more well-developed countries but it seems to be that the large part of the focus is in places like South America and Africa. It's so much easier to spread the word of faith in wartorn poverty stricken places because these people have seen and been through it all. The offer of hope in salvation is like waving a steak in front of a starving person's mouth. Now, starting with the people you sit in that country for years spreading the "good word" and eventually you have influenced an entire country and it's government. Now, these governments can support your cause and give money back to the church that so desperately came there in their time of crisis.

To say a Buddhist will not make it to heaven unless they are "saved" is so egotistically ignorant I have pity on those that truly feel this way. I spent two years stationed in Japan, which is a primarily Buddhist country, and I was shocked. I was shocked because I didn't get people knocking on my door on the weekend asking me to convert to Buddhism. I was shocked at the low crime rate. I was shocked at the morals and family values that they instilled in their children and their families. They are truly living in a better society in terms of education, welfare, and family values. And they are doing it all without the help of the one thing that has caused death and destruction all over the world: THE BIBLE!

They say when wars are won the victors always write history. Well, take a look at history. You can see that in all the major wars and conquering the remnants of the last conquerors' predominant religion has not really changed all that much. The reason is because as the conqueror's came in and invaded they not only invaded and left, they invaded and tried to outbreed the first inhabitants and instill their own cultural and moral values. The religious demographic is merely a reflection of one's own ancestor's and which battle they won. Look at Northern Africa and the history behind the Moors. Look at our own country, and if memory serves me correctly, there was a far different religion here 600 years ago than the one we currently have. The Native Americans believed entirely different things and look at what happened to them? Look at the British and Roman Empires. Look at China, Japan, Russia. All of their mainstream religions are remnants of wars won in the past.

To say God put me here on Earth to spread his message. Or that you are merely spreading the word of God is akin to saying that you are merely spreading the word that your ancestor brutally raped and murdered people to say his.

Once again, the good points of religion are those that can be used as wonderful selling tools for people that have nothing. Look at the majority of the people that convert to a certain religion after the age of 21. I bet that there are more people in jail or living in a third world country that convert per capita than your typical non-practicing adult in this country. The reason is because the church is reaching out to those who are in desperate need and selling them all the "tools" it takes to become a Christian. They are not concerned about converting the adults here in the States because they know they have their own army of followers that will blindly raise their children to be the exact same way.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:23 PM

954 posts, read 813,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
But being a Christian is not what gets you into heaven! Accepting Christ as Savior is what gets you into heaven. Big difference!
Yeah! There you go....didn't I tell you that was coming. Hitler wasn't a real Christian!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,592 times
So the Dalai Lama is going to hell but a convicted Christian serial killer is going to heaven? Hmm ... if the Buddhists got it right, then our good buddy the Christian serial killer is coming back in his next life is a pile of sh*t.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:38 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
SO AFTER EVERYONE HAS SEEN THIS FOR A COUPLE HOURS, STRANGE THAT NO ONE WILL OFFICIALLY STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND VOTE THAT NON-CHRISTIAN BUDDHISTS ARE GOING TO HELL.

ITS SETTLED. THE BUDDHISTS ARE IN!!!!!! YEA!!!
(they are very peaceful, nonjudgemental people you know)
Since God get the final vote, His is the only one that counts

Old 06-26-2007, 04:40 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Whoa! Good post, ILNC! I really like that!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:46 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
Ah, ok. Got it.

I will tell you that I really wrestled with this idea of universalism in college. I went to a Christian college and they really challenged us to make our faith our own and not our parents or our upbringings. This was one of the difficult concepts I really wrestled with. I still do many times.

So, if someone hears the gospel and rejects it anyway, then do they get another chance when they die?

One concept that is hard for me is that we here on earth are so very limited in our understanding of who God is. I mean, how can we determine our eternal destiny based on such limited understanding. yes, we have the Bible. Yes, I believe the Bible and that Jesus is the truth, the life and the way and that noone comes to the Father except through him, but what about those who just don't seem to "get it."

I am rambling I know, but just some things I have really struggled with lately, especially in light of some deaths of those dear to me who seemingly rejected God (by deeds or by words) before death.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
No, I am not a part of the UU church. They do not believe in the Divinity of Christ, or that the Bible is the inspired word of God. They are open to any and all religions, faiths, and beliefs. While I hold respect for anyone's right to believe what they want, I adhere to the basic tenants of Christianity, which states that Jesus is the Son of God and died for mankind's sins. UU's don't believe in this.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:52 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yuppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism