Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 AM

341 posts, read 684,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
ITGuy,
the poster I was referring to ( Poochie ) is going to work in TONAWANDA. If s/he is going to work in the town, chance are s/he won't need the Thruway to get to work, or the 290/Youngmann... if s/he lives in the town. Think about it.
Think about it. People generally want to leave their own cities/towns/villages.

Again, it's at most an irritant. Nothing to make it a deal breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
Think about it. People generally want to leave their own cities/towns/villages.

Again, it's at most an irritant. Nothing to make it a deal breaker.
Who is it an irritant to? Poochie posted s/he had a job in Tonawanda and does not like to drive a lot in snow. I gave info for -- surprise -- Tonawanda. Not everyone wants to live in the city. If s/he decides to, that is his/her choice. It is not yours. I try to make it a point to make comments on the location someone wants, not my liking or yours.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Who is it an irritant to? Poochie posted s/he had a job in Tonawanda and does not like to drive a lot in snow. I gave info for -- surprise -- Tonawanda. Not everyone wants to live in the city. If s/he decides to, that is his/her choice. It is not yours. I try to make it a point to make comments on the location someone wants, not my liking or yours.
There are other places to live, that are still in close proximity to Tonawanda, that is NOT Tonawanda. Such as Kenmore, which enjoys a closer proximity to the highway ramps.

Again, I said, it's at most an irritant. Not a deal breaker. Relax.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
IT Guy:
I do not get your logic on the highway "ramps" -- the 290/Youngmann has ramps in Tonawanda on Nia. Falls Blvd, on Colvin, on Delaware, on Elmwood and (I think) one on Miltary. After that, it goes into the 190 along the river south or north to the Grand Island areas and into the 90 again. I have family in the Tonawandas and never thought it odd or "an irritant". As well, off of Colvin is the 425/Twin Cities Highway north into the City of and N. Tonawanda areas.

The general idea here is to supply decent information, isn't it? If you don't like Tonawanda roads, fine. I don't go there that often. But, I do know where the roads go and I would not say they are an "irritant" .

The person asking needs to come and look, and we should be giving information, not just opinions.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
IT Guy:
I do not get your logic on the highway "ramps" -- the 290/Youngmann has ramps in Tonawanda on Nia. Falls Blvd, on Colvin, on Delaware, on Elmwood and (I think) one on Miltary. After that, it goes into the 190 along the river south or north to the Grand Island areas and into the 90 again. I have family in the Tonawandas and never thought it odd or "an irritant". As well, off of Colvin is the 425/Twin Cities Highway north into the City of and N. Tonawanda areas.

The general idea here is to supply decent information, isn't it? If you don't like Tonawanda roads, fine. I don't go there that often. But, I do know where the roads go and I would not say they are an "irritant" .

The person asking needs to come and look, and we should be giving information, not just opinions.
Elmwood/Military are the same ramps. And, yes, you named all of the ramps. All of which are about 10 minutes from just about anywhere in Tonawanda.

And, as I said, I find it a bit irritating, since I am used to being able to hop onto a ramp in under 2 minutes. My brother agrees, he finds it irritating (He lives in Tonawanda). The roads in Tonawanda? Got not issues with them, they do a fine job maintaining their roads. However, they are not in as close proximity to the major highways are other areas in WNY are.

So, yes. We are here to give information. Sometimes, opinions are valid information.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 AM

20 posts, read 49,397 times
And over here I'm just amused by an 8 min difference in time to an on-ramp being an irritant to some. Just another difference between here and SoCal. A 10 min drive to an on-ramp there would have been doing pretty good, and that's probably just the start on your hour long commute.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireteam*Charlie View Post
And over here I'm just amused by an 8 min difference in time to an on-ramp being an irritant to some. Just another difference between here and SoCal. A 10 min drive to an on-ramp there would have been doing pretty good, and that's probably just the start on your hour long commute.

Yeah, it's all really subjective. But, when the commute average 20 minutes (To anywhere in WNY)...

Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM

120 posts, read 265,275 times
When I was in Buffalo last spring for the first time, somehow I ended up on the #24 bus that goes from the airport down Genessee...it was a hot night in May, lots of people were out on their porches, I was lost and the people on the bus could tell (and were extremely nice and helpful in letting me know how to get to Niagara Falls where I could walk across the border).

But as we were driving down Genessee, it reminded me a lot of a couple cities (Lake St., in Minneapolis; University Ave in Saint Paul; Superior St in Duluth, MN) where you can see so much of the history of the city just going down that one street. In Minneapolis, City Pages (like Artsvoice) did '24 hours on Lake', chronicling the very wealthy, uptown West end of Lake Street as you head towards the suburbs, all the way to E Lake St, full of saunas, adult bookstores, drugs, shootings, etc). Has anything been written about Urban Buffalo? I'd find it to be a fascinating read. My grandma (last name Ulrich) was born and raised in Buffalo, she passed away before I was born, but I'd love to find family connections there.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,128 times
Buffalo didn't seem to have many good areas when I stopped there on my way to Toronto. It was an old, dirty, disgusting border town that would make the perfect setting for a horror film. Not to mention boring. There was nothing going on. And the Mexican food left a lot to be desired.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss13 View Post
Buffalo didn't seem to have many good areas when I stopped there on my way to Toronto. It was an old, dirty, disgusting border town that would make the perfect setting for a horror film. Not to mention boring. There was nothing going on. And the Mexican food left a lot to be desired.
That would be like someone from Buffalo talking about the Italian or Polish food in El Paso and switching city names on everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area