Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,967 times

Advertisements

I just saw this map, Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com
on another forum.

If you click on the two of the most populous counties in CA, e.g. Santa Clara County or LA County, you'll see where everyone is coming from.

I found it downright depressing. Too many times I've heard someone say "I'm from New York" without having been asked; North Easterners seem like some of the most brash, obnoxious people I've had to tolerate, and they're still pouring in.

Now it's no mystery as to why so many people in the Silicon Valley are such a((holes- they're from Back East.

In a perfect world, native CA'ers could enact legislation to retard the flow of people from those states so as to retard the slow but eventual reduction of QOL that comes with NE'ers.

In this world, though, CA will slowly become more like the NE

Old 07-27-2010, 02:04 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I found it downright depressing. Too many times I've heard someone say "I'm from New York" without having been asked...
As if it isn't obvious after one woid from their mouth. I mean word.

In my experience, upstate New Yorkers tend to not have that brash, in-yer-face annoying attitude associated with NYC and parts of NJ. I can't count how many transplanted NYC types I've met over the years whose main purpose in life is to blather on about how dis is betta back home and dat is betta back home and dis is da way we do it back home ad infinitum, ad nauseam. It's as if they think we actually f'in CARE.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 AM

212 posts, read 476,126 times
I lived in New England for a time, and there were a fair number of New Yorkers who came up to visit.

Many individuals of both populations had a natural antagonism which pervaded most social interactions. Initially, I was very turned off by it, as I had never encountered this in California or the South. Over time though, I found their antagonism to just be a customary "thing". They rarely harbor anger for long, and often I saw individuals nearly come to blows, but hours later acting as great friends. It seemed to me to be not unlike the competition some feel from team sports, especially sports they have no direct involvement in. I think many New Englanders and New Yorkers are just "in touch" with their anger... but don't necessarily act on it.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Too many times I've heard someone say "I'm from New York" without having been asked; North Easterners seem like some of the most brash, obnoxious people I've had to tolerate, and they're still pouring in.
This annoying trend has been happening since the 1950s. There's nothing you can do about it - it's a free country. A lot of them are hard working, tax paying, business forming, law abiding people - but for some reason they still bug me more than illegal aliens or over overly nationalistic foreigners do.

Go to a Dodgers - mets game at Dodger Stadium - loaded with new yorkers. Same for yankees or red sox at Anaheim Stadium.

Get the funk out of here:

Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 6,787 times
Default Tarzana, CA

I can spot our resident transplants along Ventura Blvd, I've never had an ill word with the NE'ers but during the recent heat wave most people out commenting how dis is better than NYC. I guess dry heat appeals to our friends, odd!!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
This is nothing new. California has been a major destination of people leaving the NY Tri State Area for Id say at least back to right after WW2. Prior to that Hollywood attracted tons of Northeasterners, prior to that it was the Gold Rush.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
I lived in New England for a time, and there were a fair number of New Yorkers who came up to visit.

Many individuals of both populations had a natural antagonism which pervaded most social interactions. Initially, I was very turned off by it, as I had never encountered this in California or the South. Over time though, I found their antagonism to just be a customary "thing". They rarely harbor anger for long, and often I saw individuals nearly come to blows, but hours later acting as great friends. It seemed to me to be not unlike the competition some feel from team sports, especially sports they have no direct involvement in. I think many New Englanders and New Yorkers are just "in touch" with their anger... but don't necessarily act on it.
Sounds like their version of the Nor Cal/So Cal thing we have going on sometimes, only east coast style LOL

Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 AM

705 posts, read 1,661,961 times
What is the problem with new residents coming from the NE? On the whole, the ones I have encountered have been great people, that relish everything that California has to offer.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Go to a Dodgers - mets game at Dodger Stadium - loaded with new yorkers. Same for yankees or red sox at Anaheim Stadium.
I remember seeing Angels/Red Sox and Angels/Yankees games in the '70s at Anaheim Stadium and I remember hearing Nolan Ryan get booed loudly for striking out players of the other team, and sharp jeers if the Angels got runs.

BTW, do Dodgers-Phillies games also draw similar East Coast-dominated crowds?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:14 PM

212 posts, read 476,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
What is the problem with new residents coming from the NE? On the whole, the ones I have encountered have been great people, that relish everything that California has to offer.

Actually, I completely agree. Other than the seemingly unconquerable "Baaauuston" or "Boroughs" accents, the individuals I have met here have transitioned well.

There is just an aggressiveness THERE that is difficult to relate. When you live there long enough, you get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California