Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,146 times

Advertisements

Hey, all!

New here (just joined today). I live about 30m south of Boston, and after 29 years of freezing cold winters, shovelling myself out of my driveway just to get stuck in the snow as soon as I get out on the street, summer day 90 degrees but that same night 50 degrees, etc.

My husband and I have decided that we want to move to California (for a variety of reasons), but we're not sure what part.

Here is what we're looking for:
- Warm weather year-round (I don't want to have to buy jeans/pants lol)
- Don't want to live in a very large city (like Boston), but not the sticks either (where I live) - think outskirts of Boston
- Looking for a house under $300,000
- Looking for a safe area

I appreciate any advice/suggestions... we'd be completely starting over.

Thanks!

Last edited by Santos61198; 08-13-2010 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:11 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Cali, Columbia?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 PM

212 posts, read 476,085 times
Many people in California do not appreciate the term "Cali". It is not a local slang.

Regardless, California is a huge state, with more geographic variance than any other state (well maybe tied with Alaska: we have desert, they have glacier). This topic though has been discussed many times, just do a search (On the task bar, upper middle right)

Oh, how I remember highway 95 and 93 as the Nor'esters would hit...

Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,146 times
Sorry if using the term "Cali" is out of place... it's what we New Englandah's call that awesome place waaaaaay over there!

We have been looking online and talking to a friend who lives in CA, but I am more confused than ever! I just wanted to find out from people who live there/have lived there...

Old 08-13-2010, 07:21 PM

514 posts, read 686,858 times
Quote:
- Don't want to live in a very large city (like Boston), but not the sticks either (where I live) - think outskirts of Boston
Quote:
Uh oh, on the Central Coast, which is close to Paradise, a double wide mobilehome in a trailer park will set you back $4-500,000.

Check your budget for housing, check around see where median home prices will meet your needs, find those areas, then ask us questions about them.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos61198 View Post
Hey, all!

New here (just joined today). I live about 30m south of Boston, and after 29 years of freezing cold winters, shovelling myself out of my driveway just to get stuck in the snow as soon as I get out on the street, summer day 90 degrees but that same night 50 degrees, etc.

My husband and I have decided that we want to move to California (for a variety of reasons), but we're not sure what part.

I appreciate any advice/suggestions... we'd be completely starting over.

Thanks!
What line of work are you in?

Where are you going to work?

Kids? Ages?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:49 AM

230 posts, read 623,461 times
Actually, due to the current real estate market, it's possible to get a home (if you're willing to wait out a short sale) for around 300k in places like Atascadero, Paso Robles, and Templeton. And because of the short sales, etc., there are some non-distressed properties in that price range now, too. You'd be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Uh oh, on the Central Coast, which is close to Paradise, a double wide mobilehome in a trailer park will set you back $4-500,000.

Check your budget for housing, check around see where median home prices will meet your needs, find those areas, then ask us questions about them.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:56 AM

230 posts, read 623,461 times
First.. I wouldn't worry about calling it "cali." I was born and raised in Cali, and call it that.. my friends and family call it that. That term caused a giant and contentious discussion here recently -- but no one is going to get angry with you for calling it that. I started calling that because it's easier to type.

Without knowing your work needs, I'd concur that the Central Coast area is a pretty awesome place. You might find it somewhat boring though, because it's semi-rural and beachy, and 3 hours or more to a big city. But if you want the full Cali experience, it's a good place to check out. There is an area there in the "North County" where you can find homes in that price range.. the secret is to find work, of course. Look at towns like Atascero, Templeton, and Paso Robles for housing in your price range. They will be modest homes, but the lovely thing about the Central Coast is that no one is hung up on that.

I think your price range precludes you from other areas I might suggest for you. I think you'd enjoy Santa Cruz, Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Diego. Your house budget just would not hold up there. Hopefully you can schedule a trip out to California this year to see the places you're considering. I would also consider renting until you're familiar with the area.

Ooops. I think I just suggested all beach areas, didn't I? You didn't mention if you'd like to be inland... I never think of that. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos61198 View Post
Sorry if using the term "Cali" is out of place... it's what we New Englandah's call that awesome place waaaaaay over there!

We have been looking online and talking to a friend who lives in CA, but I am more confused than ever! I just wanted to find out from people who live there/have lived there...

Old 08-14-2010, 08:41 AM

514 posts, read 686,858 times
People who call it Cali, probably call San Francisco, Frisco.

Why stop here, you all live in Massi, which is next to Conni and Rhodi, and Maini and Newhi and Veri, and NewYi.

See the problem?

Quote:
You might find it somewhat boring though, because it's semi-rural and beachy, and 3 hours or more to a big city
Boring? Thank god it is 3 hours or more to a big city. Santos, California is full of great places, mostly rural, but there is only one City that compares to Boston, and that is San Francisco.

She is right on the market in north county, in Paso Robles there are 184 homes for under 300,000, mostly mobile/modular, or condo/apartment, but there are some single family stick built.

In Arroyo Grande, there are only 54, almost all mobile/modular.

There is a reason for the difference. North county is not as desirable as south country, summers are hot to very hot, winters are colder, although, by eastern standards, not very cold. Paso and Atascadero historically were "hicks in the sticks". Wine has changed the north county enormously. Downtown Paso is very nice. Atascadero has a long way to go.

South County is very popular due to the moderate weather year round, 60's in the winter, 70's in the summer, and handy access to the beach.

My suggestion, which I suggest to everyone, is, if you can swing a piece of land, from an acre on up, do that, it is nice to have some land, have a big garden, keep your neighbors at arms length.

If you are interested in a tight knit community of pretty good neighbors in older homes, pm me and I will tell you (no sense in alerting the whole world)

Last edited by Highnlite; 08-14-2010 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-14-2010, 09:53 AM

332 posts, read 772,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
People who call it Cali, probably call San Francisco, Frisco.
And? Is that a mortal sin? You can always tell who the non-natives are because they get their panties in a bunch whenever says "Frisco." Why does it upset them? I don't know. But natives don't care. I grew up in the bay area, have spent most of my life here, and have always said "Cali," and use "Frisco" occasionally.

Sorry for the thread hijack... In answer to OP, you might look at Davis, CA. It's a nice college town near Sactown and not too far from SF. It's not warm all year round, but it won't ever get really cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California